Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31-Mar-2014 02:46 Last Post By: kalaratri
Penno

USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
Posted: 04-Feb-2013 23:53

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

Hoping for some help.

Purchased a 64B USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH), private seller, however item was brand new in packaging.

When I tried to copy files accross to it, it maxed out at about 45Gig and appears to have caused a write error. I was able to delete the majority of files, however about 5gig of them wouldn't delete (in that they would appear to have deleted, until you refreshed).

To counter this I tried to 'quick format' the drive (using Windows XP SP3), but the drive was write protected and I am unable to remove it.

Spoke to a friend who advised I should try a low level format, tried that & it appeared to work, however when I insert the usb the system advises that the drive is not formatted & would I like to format. Upon clicking Yes i recieve the 'write protected' error.

Ran the issue through the google machine & even tried to change the registy settings, however that also failed.

So I am hoping that someone out there has a potential solution for me (that doesn't include a large Hammer & some anger management)...?
JackyStewart

Re: USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
Posted: 05-Feb-2013 12:29   in response to: Penno in response to: Penno

Could it be possible that this USB stick is faulty?
In my opinion you should contact the dealer and should replace it with another one.
paul549994

Posted: 12-Feb-2014 22:33   in response to: Penno in response to: Penno

Hi,

I have just bought the same drive, chances are it is fake.

Mine when I do write test locks up at about 3997Mb.
Think you will find yours is the same.

There is a test here http://betdownload.com/h2testw-961-download or you can find it from other source called H2testw.

I bet you also have really low write speed say 3-4 kbs and as you say get a write error message.
Mine came from an aussie seller who I won't name until responds to my Email in fairness to him.
kalaratri

Posted: 31-Mar-2014 02:46   in response to: Penno in response to: Penno

may be it'is a fake and couterfeited toshiba uhybs-064gh usb flash memory
look there for more information:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/All-About-Fake-Flash-Drives-2013-/10000000177553258/g.html

you will see this:
"The Toshiba TransMemory 64GB flash drive has been heavily counterfeited for a couple of years. Many come in packages with a nonsensical counterfeiter's typo on the back - "Minimum consumer-usable memory capacity is approximately 7,7.2GB." Toshiba has confirmed that genuine packaging does not have this text."

and read all the page...
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved