Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite C850-19D - I want to do a dual boot with Win 8 and Linux
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Oct-2013 15:04 Last Post By: conduktar44
aalexgm

Satellite C850-19D - I want to do a dual boot with Win 8 and Linux
Posted: 20-Nov-2012 09:58

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Last week I got a Satellite C85O-19D PSCBWE-03200WGR

Yesterday I try to make a dual boot with Ubuntu.

I did not get a boot start from the USB nor the CD iso (even selecting that from the Toshiba app), and I made the next on the bios:
  • Disable secure boot
  • Change UEFI to CSM support
  • Save

On the restart I get not Toshiba logo anymore but a black screen with:

"This product is cover by one or more of the following patents:....(list of patents)...

Realtek ...

PXE-E61: Media test faliure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot and press any key"

I can not open again the Bios using F2.

Who I recover the system?
Tonny

Re: Satellite C850-19D - I want to do a dual boot with Win 8 and Linux
Posted: 20-Nov-2012 13:58   in response to: aalexgm in response to: aalexgm

Hi

The unit was preinstalled with Win 8 64bit right?

Changing the BIOS setting from UEFI to CSM and disabling the secure boot prevent the notebook from booting the Win 8!

Therefore the unit cannot find the bootable device and switches to last option: LAN.
But since the notebook cannot find bootable system via LAN, the error “PXE-E61: Media test faliure, check cable” appears.

If you want to use a dual boot, you have to boot into Win 8
In Win 8 you have to create an partition for Linux installation. This can be down in Win 8 disk management. You have to shrink an last partition and have to create new one on the available free space.

Now to start the Linux installation you need an media.. you can burn the Linux iso on DVD or an bootable USB stick. There are many details in internet how to create such media.
Once you have created the bootable USB, restart your PC with connected USB.
Press F12 to get the boot menu. Now you should see the USB memory stick (if bootable!!!) choose USB and you should be able to install Linux (Ubuntu is great!)

Here is a nice page which would provide the whole step by step instruction!
http://www.intowindows.com/dual-boot-windows-8-and-ubuntu/
aalexgm

Posted: 21-Nov-2012 17:21   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

Thanks for the answere!

You say...Changing the BIOS setting from UEFI to CSM and disabling the secure boot prevent the notebook from booting the Win 8!

How can I acces to the Bios againg to change that again? the F2 do not work any more.
Finally I have use a bootable Ubuntu CD to install (making some space with patition magic)

Since I have no important documents on the laptop, how can I restore the system from the bigining and then follow the steps you say?

Best regards
Francesco_1

Posted: 22-Nov-2012 13:42   in response to: aalexgm in response to: aalexgm

How can I acces to the Bios againg to change that again? the F2 do not work any more.
Finally I have use a bootable Ubuntu CD to install (making some space with patition magic)

The FN button has to be pressed before powering the unit…check this…
Press and hold F2 then power up the notebook.

Since I have no important documents on the laptop, how can I restore the system from the bigining and then follow the steps you say?

Did you create the recovery disk ?
The recovery disk is necessary to set the unit back to the factory settings!
aalexgm

Posted: 22-Nov-2012 17:28   in response to: Francesco_1 in response to: Francesco_1

FN+F2 do not work.

Now some more weir things.
I use a bootable ubuntu Ubunbtu CD and install the distro (resizing with partition magic).
Now when starts up It goes directly to Ubuntu. But is not posible to shutdown. Only restarts...
MannerhagenVPO

Posted: 29-Nov-2012 07:56   in response to: aalexgm in response to: aalexgm

Hi Alex

If F2 does not work for You to enter the BIOS, You can instead try F12.
As with F2, F12 is a thing of TIMING! :)

So either learn when to press it (when the Toshiba-logo is displayed) OR hold it down right from the start.
This should bring you to the BOOT menu. From there You should be able to choose

Enter setup

Concerning the reboot, this is probably a kernel bug. I have seen the exact same problem on a unit I have access to.
You can avoid this by pulling out the power-plug just before turning on. That will make the unit shut off properly.

good luck

Tom
crankyinmv

Posted: 09-Jan-2013 10:03   in response to: MannerhagenVPO in response to: MannerhagenVPO
Helpful
I'm dealing with my own headaches trying to install ubuntu on a P875 with a 750GB drive, but I have learned a few things which might be helpful here.

1. I turned off secure boot simply to get my burned ubuntu installer disks to boot. That setting does not keep me from booting to Windows 8. Changing from UEFI is probably a different story.

2. This applies to my laptop, maybe it applies to yours:

If you need to bring up a BIOS menu when you boot, make sure the boot speed is normal, If the boot speed is set to fast, F2, F12 and other keys won't be checked.

Use this method to get into the BIOS though windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUyZIJ0xOc where you can change the boot speed. Or you can use Boot in System Settings

3. I ran into a situation where the laptop was booting straight into ubuntu, but I had normal boot on so I was able to hold down 0 while powering up to bring up the recovery options. You may need to use a recovery disk.

conduktar44

Posted: 07-Oct-2013 05:13   in response to: aalexgm in response to: aalexgm
Correct
Hi guys.

I too had this same problem.
Not sure if it was answered yet but the issue has nothing to due with Linux.
It is a BIOS setting.

Under Andanced settings in the BIOS there is a special function mode and standard F1-F12.
Mine was in Special Function meaning you have to hit the FN key for the F1-F12 keys to work.

Press and hold the FN key while pressing F2 and power on. You should boot directly to the BIOS.

I was able to switch back to UEFI and I am booting strait to Ubuntu now.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved