Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Which Pre-installed Toshiba programs are safe to remove form my laptop?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Oct-2012 16:12 Last Post By: Hobanna
Hobanna

Which Pre-installed Toshiba programs are safe to remove form my laptop?
Posted: 07-Oct-2012 14:42

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

This is probably the most googled question abotu Toshiba laptops, but I can't get a straight answer so I thought I would come to a forum. I've got a brand new Toshiba Satellite P870 and the start-up is quite slow, and the general performance of the computer could be better.
From the list of pre-installed stuff below, I'd like to know if it would A) make any difference to performance/speed and B) whether I should actually delete them

Programs:

Toshiba Assist
Toshiba Config Free
Toshiba Disc Creator
Toshiba Eco utility
Toshiba Face Recognition
Toshiba Hardware Setup
Toshiba hDD protection
Toshiba HDD/SSd Alert
Toshiba Media controller
Toshiba Media controller plug in
Toshiba PC health Monitor
toshiba peak shift Control
Toshiba Recovery media Creator
Toshiba ReelTime
Toshiba Remote Control manager
Toshiba Resolution and Plug In for Windows Media Player
Toshiba Service Station
Toshiba Speech Systems Applciations
Toshiba Speech system SR Engine (US) version 1.0
Toshiba Speech System TTs Engine (US) version 1.0
Toshiba Supervisor password
Toshiba Value Added Package

I haven't really encountered/used any of these yet and want to know which are worth keeping around, and which I can straight out delete.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, however I have tried the Decrapifyer program and it didn't really help much.
Macius

Re: Which Pre-installed Toshiba programs are safe to remove form my laptop?
Posted: 08-Oct-2012 07:53   in response to: Hobanna in response to: Hobanna

Hi and welcome to our community.

If this is most googled question I really hope we will find final answer here. ;)
At first I must say that every one of us has maybe different opinion about all this. Some of us want to use some certain tool and some of us don’t like some of them so it is not possible to give precise answer to your question.
Anyway I will start with my personal opinion but at first some general information. Toshiba recovery image contains many Toshiba specific tools and utilities and some additional software. Toshiba specific tools and utilities are designed to help user with full notebook control and also help notebook owner to get some useful information about updates.

I repeat again, what I will write here is my personal opinion and I just want to describe what I do.
After clean OS installation I remove from the system
Tempro, Toshiba ReelTime, Toshiba Service Station and some other things like links for eBay or additional stuff that is completly useless for me.
Listed Toshiba specific tools are OK but I don’t need them. They start with notebook and sow down the start-up. Tempro and Toshiba Service Station are monitoring tools and inform you about new BIOS or drivers updates. As I wrote it is very nice but if the system works perfectly don’t change anything.

I will go trough your list and write short comment for each listed program.
-Toshiba Assist – very usefull tool where you can find shortcuts for all Toshiba important tools and utilities. Leave the shortcut on the desktop
-Toshiba Config Free - very useful tool for network monitoring but must not be started with OS. Don’t remove it from the system just disabe it from the start-up. You can start it when necessary.
-Toshiba Disc Creator – useful but not so important. Depends on notebook owner. I don’t use it.
-Toshiba Eco utility – useful tool but for me personaly not so importat. I have removed it from the system. when I want to save energy I simply use Windows power saver plan.
-Toshiba Face Recognition - nice tool for playing but I don’t use it. It is removed from my system.
-Toshiba Hardware Setup – one of the most important Toshiba tools. Check it out and don’t remove it from the system.
Macius

Posted: 08-Oct-2012 07:55   in response to: Hobanna in response to: Hobanna

-Toshiba hDD protection - nce tool but I don’t use it. You must not remove it from the system but you can disable it from start-up
-Toshiba HDD/SSd Alert – the same as HDD protection
-Toshiba Media controller – you must not remove it but eventually remove from start-up
-Toshiba Media controller plug in – the same
-Toshiba PC health Monitor – nice tool but must not start with OS. Leave it but disable in start-up.
toshiba peak shift Control - I don’t know what it is exactly
-Toshiba Recovery media Creator – this tool is very important and please use it for recovery media creation (recovery DVD). Don’t remove it from the system. this tool doeand start with OS and doeant slow it down. What you can remove from start-up or system is recovery disc reminder.
-Toshiba ReelTime – I don’t use it and it is removed from the system. Starts with OS.
-Toshiba Remote Control manager – I think I don’t have it on my system
-Toshiba Resolution and Plug In for Windows Media Player – leave it preinstalled. It doeant slow down the OS start.
-Toshiba Service Station – remove it or just disable from start-up
-Toshiba Speech Systems Applciations – don’t change anything. Leave it.
-Toshiba Speech system SR Engine (US) version 1.0 – don’t change anything. Leave it.
-Toshiba Speech System TTs Engine (US) version 1.0 – don’t change anything. Leave it.
-Toshiba Supervisor password – don’t change anything. Leave it.
-Toshiba Value Added Package -– don’t change anything. Leave it. It is very important package that contains several different important Toshiba specific tools and utilities.

Before you remove anything from the system remove it from the start-up at first and check the difference. One other thing. By default Windows updates are set to option automatic and all updates will be installed automatically in the background. This can slow down the notebook performance in certain moment and it can happen exactly when you do something important. What I do is to change Windows updates settings to “Check for updates but let me choose....” option so I can start updates installation when I’m finished with my work. Be also careful with Windows updates.

Do not install all listed optional updates especially if there is listed some driver update. Use Toshiba drivers only.

Bye and good luck
Hobanna

Posted: 08-Oct-2012 16:12   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius

Thankyou both for the advice, I never even knew about the option to actually disable programs at start up!

it was a relief to find that half the Toshiba programs weren't oeprating at Start Up anyway, and hopefully the changes I have made will help me.

Thanks again for the time and effort in both of your responses:)
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved