Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A500/A505 - some issues after recovery process
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Oct-2012 08:56 Last Post By: ninjay
ninjay

Satellite A500/A505 - some issues after recovery process
Posted: 01-Oct-2012 21:20

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have just recently used the recovery partition of my Satellite A500 A505 to get rid of a particularly persistent virus after having run multiple anti-virus programs, all to no avail.

Now, the virus seems to be gone, but the computer does not appear to be in the state that it was in immediately after it was opened.

For one thing, the resolution is such that the taskbar, start menu, and desktop icons are all much larger than normal.

Secondly, it seems to be lacking whatever graphics files allow it to play my games that I put back onto it from my backup (that is, it is showing the background of the game's screen and playing music and SFX without showing character sprites or menu options).

Thirdly, my Fn+F6/F7 will not allow me to adjust the brightness of the computer screen, the only way that I know to adjust a Toshiba laptop's brightness.

What, if anything, might I have done incorrectly in all of this?
What might I be able to do to fix these issues?
I do not internet right now, but I have a jump drive and everlasting patience, so I can use another computer and transfer anything that you suggest over to mine.

Nevertheless, I would prefer solutions that do not involve such, if at all possible.

Surely appreciated!
Terentino

Re: Satellite A500/A505 - some issues after recovery process
Posted: 02-Oct-2012 08:19   in response to: ninjay in response to: ninjay

To be honest I’ve never heard about such issue.
In my opinion you should try to make recovery installation one more time to check if the same problem will occurs again.

Have you created recovery discs?
If yes use recovery discs for recovery image installation.
TomDexter

Posted: 02-Oct-2012 08:20   in response to: ninjay in response to: ninjay

For one thing, the resolution is such that the taskbar, start menu, and desktop icons are all much larger than normal

This is just a matter of settings.
Click right on the Taskbar and choose Properties. Now in new Windows click and mark the option called: Use small icons

Secondly, it seems to be lacking whatever graphics files allow it to play my games that I put back onto it from my backup (that is, it is showing the background of the game's screen and playing music and SFX without showing character sprites or menu options).

How about display (graphic card) driver update?
Mostly new games require graphic card update.

Thirdly, my Fn+F6/F7 will not allow me to adjust the brightness of the computer screen, the only way that I know to adjust a Toshiba laptop's brightness.

Well, does other Fn buttons work properly?
If not, restart the Flash Cards firstly.
Go to All Programs -> Toshiba -> Flash cards -> restart

If this does not help, reinstall the VAP (value added package) together with the Flash Card Support Utility.
ninjay

Posted: 02-Oct-2012 08:56   in response to: TomDexter in response to: TomDexter

TomDexter wrote:
This is just a matter of settings.
Click right on the Taskbar and choose Properties. Now in new Windows click and mark the option called: Use small icons

If only it were so easy… You see, when I do that, I notice that they are still larger than when the icons are reduced on another Windows 7 computer. In other words, if the setting are the same (at least, the ones of which I have found), then all of my icons will be larger than on another computer of the same kind.

How about display (graphic card) driver update?
Mostly new games require graphic card update.

I'll try that out when I get to an internet connection on a computer from which I can download (this one will not let me do such for many file types).

Well, does other Fn buttons work properly?
If not, restart the Flash Cards firstly.
Go to All Programs -> Toshiba -> Flash cards -> restart

If this does not help, reinstall the VAP (value added package) together with the Flash Card Support Utility.

I'm afraid that my computer does not seem to have -> Flash cards -> restart; a "Flash cards" option is missing. As before, I will reinstall the VAP and Flash Card Support Utility when on a different computer.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved