Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Alternative power chargers for Portege Z830
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Aug-2012 06:46 Last Post By: Macius
Tomaz

Alternative power chargers for Portege Z830
Posted: 09-Aug-2012 13:24

Hello,

I 've got PORTEGE Z830-11M and with original 45W, 19V PA3822U-1ACA AC Adapter.

Can I use for charging it also more powerful 75W, 19V original TOSHIBA PA3468E-1AC3 adapter, which I have on the other location?

Is it good for z830 or not and why? The only difference between them is power, I suppose more is better (less heat for charger) or not?

Thank you for answers.

Tomo

Message was edited by: Tomaz

Brixx

Re: Alternative power chargers for Portege Z830
Posted: 09-Aug-2012 14:59   in response to: Tomaz in response to: Tomaz

Hi Tomaz,

I think this is not a problem, because you power charger can give max. 75 W and you device takes so much as he current need, that´s decides the device not the power charger

important is the Volt specification, and since it is identical 19V
Tomaz

Posted: 10-Aug-2012 08:30   in response to: Brixx in response to: Brixx

Brixx, thank you for answer, but I still don't know, why TOSHIBA service says that I should use exactly PA3822U-1ACA AC Adapter.

There are many TOSHIBA types of chargers with DC 19V output connector 5.5/2.5 mm and also other brands like ASUS which with their electrical specifications fit z830 laptop.

I would say, all chargers with at least 45 W and constant 19V DC voltage and of course 5.5/2.5 mm connector would be OK. But it seems they are not. I'm interested why?

DC electric current depends on DC voltage and battery resistance. So if PA3822U-1ACA has constant DC voltage 19 V for load 0 - 45 W, why other more powerful chargers are not recomended?

Is there any electronics inside charger which comunicates with z830 laptop and limits current (adapt voltage to limit current - so 19V is not constant) ... or such electronics is inside z830?

Tomaz
Tomaz

Posted: 13-Aug-2012 06:41   in response to: Brixx in response to: Brixx

Brixx, thank you.

As I understand laptop (Portage Z830) limits current. Therefore from its point of view the only important data is DC voltage which should be 19V and of course 5.5/2.5 connector.

From charger point of view its declared power (75W) shouldn't be exceeded - depends on device demand which in this case is 45 W. So it's OK.

Am I right?

Tomaz
PauPau

Posted: 20-Aug-2012 13:35   in response to: Tomaz in response to: Tomaz

For AC adaptor the Volt and Ampere values are important.
So you have to use an 19V AC adaptor. The Ampere value can be a little bit higher but should not be lower.

The math form for watt is: volt x ampere = watt
Macius

Posted: 21-Aug-2012 06:46   in response to: Tomaz in response to: Tomaz

U got one with your notebook so I presume if you take your notebook somewhere you can pack original AC charger too.

From my experience I can say that there is no problem for notebook to run on AC adapter with more W but I can tell you that this had bad influence on battery on brothers A300. After few months battery performance was 50% lower than before.

Portege Z830 is very nice and expensive notebook so if you need second AC adapter for other location order one more but original and be happy with it.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved