Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A660 Factory Restore problems
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Jul-2012 09:59 Last Post By: Tonny
KingRasp

Satellite A660 Factory Restore problems
Posted: 19-Jul-2012 02:57

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have a Satellite A660 Part NO. PSAW3A-14V062 that came pre-installed with Win 7 No Disc provided but a hidden partition with the recovery files.

Decided to do a factory restore to start from scratch but ended up getting disc errors. Removed the HD and connected it to another computer.

Using Acronis Disk Director I copied the hidden partition (HDDRECOVERY) to another drive then formatted the drive and copied the hidden partition back to it and reinstalled to the laptop.
Downloaded an ISO image and tried to install from DVD but got message that windows cannot be installed to the HDD as this drive is about to fail.

Purchased new HDD and copied the Hidden partition to it.
I then tried installing from DVD but kept getting errors about being unable to find files, after several more ISO downloads and burning 5 different DVD's the furthest I got was to the screen where it is "expanding files" this stays at 0% and nothing else happens.

I then tried a factory restore using the 'hold down 0 while starting' but when I released the 0 key when the Toshiba splash screen showed nothing happened.

There was a small 'System' Partition on the original HDD which I did not copy. I have a couple of questions.

1) Did the 'System' partition contain the files necessary to start the factory restore and if so is there anywhere I can download those files?

2) Probably a topic for another thread but, Any clues as to why I am having so much trouble with the ISO files.

Cheers and sorry for the long winded explanation.
Dr.Lamp

Re: Satellite A660 Factory Restore problems
Posted: 19-Jul-2012 08:49   in response to: KingRasp in response to: KingRasp

The whole recovery installation is pretty complicated. It is designed to avoid some kind of “manipulation” so original recovery image can be installed either using HDD recovery installation or using recovery DVD that must be created with “Toshiba recovery disc creator” tool.

To be honest the whole story is pretty complicated but what confuses me is
Decided to do a factory restore to start from scratch but ended up getting disc errors
If I understand you right you have created recovery disc, right? What happen exactly?
Can you use this disc with new HDD?

This method with coping recovery files to new HDD will not work. You will not be able to have access to it and start HDD recovery image installation.

If you have new HDD only way to install original Toshiba recovery image is to use recovery DVD disc.
Tonny

Re: Satellite A660 Factory Restore problems
Posted: 20-Jul-2012 09:59   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

1) Did the 'System' partition contain the files necessary to start the factory restore and if so is there anywhere I can download those files?

System partitions contains only the Windows system. This is NOT Toshiba image which allows you to set the notebook back to factory settings.
The notebook preinstalled with the Toshiba image contains an second partition which contain HDD recovery folder.
This allows you to recover the notebook without the usage of any disks…
But if the HDD has been modified or if some partitions has been deleted, this HDD recovery function would not work anymore.

Generally speaking the image should be created and burned to the disks using the Toshiba Recovery Media creator which is always preinstalled.
But this would not function if the HDD partition layout has been changed .

In worst case you can order a new recovery disk from here:
http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved