I have a notebook Satellite M70-122 and it seams there is a problem with the RTC (BIOS) battery as it looses all settings. I took it to the service department here in Thessaloniki Greece and they told me the battery is glued to the main board and I should buy a new notebook instead.
Does any one has any idea on how to change the RTC (BIOS) battery?
In many cases (also for Sat M70 ) the RTC battery is soldered on the motherboard. In such case it cannot be replaced
The RTC battery provides power to keep the current date, time and other setup information in memory while the computer is turned off. The RTC battery is charged by the adaptor or main battery, while the computer is powered on.
So theoretically if the RTC battery is empty, you could charge it again by connecting AC adaptor and running the notebook for about 24 hours.
Yes I know the RTC battery is soldered, the technician told me.
I've asked him for the service manual in order to un-solder it my self and solder a new one, but he refused. A new battery costs less than 50euro and a new laptop costs more than 500euro, that's 10 times more.
I don't find it logical at all to buy a new laptop because of an exhausted battery.
I need a way to open up the casing without damaging anything. And yes I had more that 24h the computer switched on so that it can recharge the battery, I even tried what the technician suggested, to have the laptop switched on but not inside windows, but inside the BIOS settings. Although I don't understand the difference in having the laptop switched on inside BIOS and inside windows if it's not used.
The RTC battery didn't charge.
If I do need to buy a new laptop it will not be again a Toshiba one.
I've asked him for the service manual in order to un-solder it myself and solder a new one, but he refused. A new battery costs less than 50euro and a new laptop costs more than 500euro, that's 10 times more.
I don’t think that any technician is allowed to sell any manuals… such documents are not property of technicians but notebook manufacturers…
however, in your case I would ask some independent technician to check this…