Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
What does the Toshiba Flash Cards / KeNotify Application controls?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Oct-2014 20:06 Last Post By: Razxr
GermainZ

What does the Toshiba Flash Cards / KeNotify Application controls?
Posted: 04-Jun-2012 12:13

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hey,

I've done some searching and it seems that both KeNotify.exe (Toshiba/Utilities) and TCrdMain.exe (Toshiba/Flashcards) are responsible for managing the Fn keys.

Could anyone please explain what each does separately, and what functionality will I loose if I remove them from startup?

Thanks a lot!
MasterG

Re: What does the Toshiba Flash Cards / KeNotify Application controls?
Posted: 04-Jun-2012 12:29   in response to: GermainZ in response to: GermainZ

Hi

From my knowledge the Flash Cards (visual FN button row at the top of the screen) appears pressing if one of the FN + F1-F9 key combination would be pressed.
If you remove both tools, I assume that this visual menu would not appear anymore and you will lose the FN button functionality.

But you can test this just for testing proposes without deleting both entries.
In search type msconfig. In msconfig choose Startup tab and here uncheck both exe files. Save the changes and reboot the unit.

If you want to get back these processes, access the Startup tab again and enable both processes once again.
GermainZ

Posted: 04-Jun-2012 12:32   in response to: GermainZ in response to: GermainZ

That is what I've done already, but I'd like some more information because if I kill KeNotify.exe, FN keys still function, flash cards still show.
However, if I remove KeNotify.exe from the startup and reboot, even tho TCrdMain.exe is running, FN keys work no longer.

That's why I'm asking for more information about each of these processes.
Thanks for the answer tho :)
Dr.Lamp

Posted: 05-Jun-2012 07:55   in response to: GermainZ in response to: GermainZ

I’m not software expert and will not spend my time trying to explain every Toshiba tool and utility.
Fact is that Toshiba recovery image that you got with your notebook contains several very important tools and utilities that allow you full control about your notebook and different very useful functions.

Maybe it sounds stupid now but I don’t understand why you disable it in start-up. I simply don’t understand what do you expect after doing this. Better performance, faster start-up?
Don’t disable anything especially stuff important for notebook control.

What you can disable and I do it too are some preinstalled stuff like service station, Toshiba reminder, Nero backitup, Toshiba zooming utility, smart face watcher, Toshiba notebook registration, Toshiba remote control manager and few others.

You don’t need such stuff at start-up but don’t disable button support, power saver or flash cards.
GermainZ

Posted: 05-Jun-2012 12:25   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

The statup time boost will be pretty negligible, I'm mostly looking for the info out of curiosity -why are two processes needed for the same thing?
As for toshiba software/bloatware, I uninstalled most of them already, disabling those that I might need.

Also, any idea what toshiba power saver does? I mean, does it have any effect if you don't use the eco plan?

Thanks a lot

Message was edited by: GermainZ
MisterX

Posted: 05-Jun-2012 12:57   in response to: GermainZ in response to: GermainZ
Helpful
why are two processes needed for the same thing?
I think this can be answered ONLY by the programmers who has created and designed the software…
Fact is that VAP and Flash Cards are needed to get the FN buttons working properly.
Possibly one process belongs to VAP and the other to Flash Cards… but this is just my personal opinion…

Also, any idea what Toshiba power saver does? I
As far as I know the power option on fresh preinstalled Win 7 system does not contain additional entries for cooling method. The power save adds this to the Win 7 power options.

Check this Toshiba doc:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD12017W0001R01.htm
Razxr

Posted: 11-Oct-2014 19:57   in response to: GermainZ in response to: GermainZ

Those are 2 different utilities. KeNotify controls the FN keys and "Flash Cards" display. TCrdMaine controls the Flash (SD) card slot/device on your PC. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

BTW, the "Flash Cards" utility replaces the "Hot Key Utility".

Message was edited by: Razxr
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved