Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L755 wont sleep or hibernate properly
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Jun-2012 09:27 Last Post By: MasterG
Mr_P

Satellite L755 wont sleep or hibernate properly
Posted: 18-May-2012 22:11

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have a 3 week old L755 which is giving me a bit of grief....
I have set the laptop up so that if I press the power switch or close the lid, either plugged in or not, then the system should go into hibernation.

When I do press the button or shut the lid, from time to time the system will hang, the screen will go black and I am left with 2 constant LED's and a flashing LED. The number lock key remains illuminated and the only way to resume the system is to hold the power button down until everything turns off.

The system then restarts informing me that windows was not shut down correctly and any open programs are obviously killed. It does not matter if I set the power button or closure of the lid to hibernate or sleep, the end result is the same. Annoyingly this does not happen every time, there really is no rhyme or reason as to why this happens.

I can turn the machine on, clean power up do nothing, literally wait until windows has finished loading up, press the button and it sleeps fine, on other occasions I can do exactly the same thing and the system wont sleep correctly.

So far, under guidance from Toshiba, from within device manager I have uninstalled the "Microsoft AC Adapter" and "Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery" and allowed Windows 7 to reinstall. I have also run the Value Addeded Package at the request of Toshiba. I'm really pleased with the system besides this niggling problem and Toshiba's support have been fantastic, however the only options left to me according to Toshiba is to reinstall back to factory settings which really doesn't please me.

Has ANYONE else been through this? If I do have to reinstall and this doesn't work then my laptop will have to be sent back for testing/replacement, what is the usual turnaround for such work?

Please help :)

This was originally posted as L750 problems, the model I have is the L755 - sorry
Dr.Lamp

Re: Satellite L755 wont sleep or hibernate properly
Posted: 19-May-2012 07:50   in response to: Mr_P in response to: Mr_P

... under guidance from Toshiba, from within device manager I have uninstalled the "Microsoft AC Adapter" and "Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery" and allowed Windows 7 to reinstall. I have also run the Value Addeded Package at the request of Toshiba.
Guidance from Toshiba? Can you please explain this? To be honest I don’t understand why you have uninstalled these stuff.

Anyway, fact is that you got notebook with “factory settings” and all these functions should work properly. I have two Toshiba notebooks and I use stand-by/hibernation all the time so if this work on my notebooks I don’t see reason why it should not work on your Satellite machine. These functions are tested, especially FN+F3/F4 key combinations ad it must work.

In my opinion you should not uninstall anything. Leave default Toshiba configuration.
Have you installed some additional software that runs in background and can “block” notebook when you want to use stand-by/hibernation?
however the only options left to me according to Toshiba is to reinstall back to factory settings which really doesn't please me.
Why not? It is the simplest and fastest way to check functionality and have well working system again.
Mr_P

Posted: 19-May-2012 11:12   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

Dr.Lamp,
I spoke to Toshiba tech support who had me turn on and off various settings to try to resolve this to no avail. I think I will have to bite the dust and just back everything up and do a clean install and see what happens. The sooner I get this resolved the sooner I'll be happy with my system I suppose.
MasterG

Posted: 22-May-2012 15:55   in response to: Mr_P in response to: Mr_P

The system recovery would be a good idea in order to test the notebook with factory settings. Since this does not seem to happen always, I assume that some processes running in the background cannot be closed properly to go into the hibernation mode.

So possibly something is running in the background which cause this issue.
In your case I would close all apps and all software before going into the hibernation mode.
pike

Posted: 06-Jun-2012 21:14   in response to: Mr_P in response to: Mr_P

Hi,I have a satellite 750 with exactly the same problem. it is set to 'Hibernate' when lid is closed but after working a couple of times it starts to hibernate then wakes up. I check 'task manager' each time, reset to 'Hibernate' but it keeps waking up a few seconds after I close the lid.....unbelievably annoying. I have disabled 'wake up on Lan' etc . Has Toshiba any ideas before I return it?
sokkan

Posted: 07-Jun-2012 05:33   in response to: Mr_P in response to: Mr_P
Helpful
Hi,

My 3-week-old L750D had a similar problem: screen brightness controls didn't work - screen always on maximum brightness. If allowed to go into sleep mode the computer would wake, but not the screen - it was very dark, and nothing would 'light it up'; had to restart the computer. Hibernate was okay - except for one occasion where I had to use the power button to shut down - as hibernate would not 'engage'.

Saw this thread, tried tech support, and was directed to a bios upgrade. Problems fixed!

I am in Australia, and here the downloads are available from the suopport page.

My model is PSK36A-04N011, and the bios upgrade was from 1.5 to 1.8.

Perhaps this would work for you also?
MasterG

Posted: 08-Jun-2012 09:27   in response to: sokkan in response to: sokkan

Hi sokkan

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
I read also some recommendations from other users, and obviously the BIOS update might help to solve such issues….

Greets
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved