Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L500 - Shutdown and a fan problem
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Apr-2012 15:32 Last Post By: MasterG
DR_3

Satellite L500 - Shutdown and a fan problem
Posted: 11-Apr-2012 19:56

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello.

For the past few months my Toshiba Satellite L500-1 is shutting down frequently due overheating, which occurs during intensive use of the laptop (during gaming, photomanipulation etc.). However, I do not know what I can do about this. I will not open my laptop, unless I am told to open my laptop to do a specific task.

Today my laptop shut off again. However, when I turn it back on I noticed something happened with my fan. At this point, my laptop will not overheat fast as usually. Instead of fanspeed of 90+% it stays around the 58 to 60% (according to the Toshiba PC Health Monitor). Nevertheless, I noticed something happened with my fan. After shutdown I noticed that the fan will occasionally make a ticking noise, which is heard once every 10 minutes when the laptop is under intensive use.

What should I do now? This does worry me, should I be worried about this? Maybe another Toshiba user with a similar problem can provide me support. I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

- DR

Macius

Re: Satellite L500 - Shutdown and a fan problem
Posted: 11-Apr-2012 20:32   in response to: DR_3 in response to: DR_3
Helpful
Hi

On this virtual way it is not easy to say what the problem can be.
When you use your notebook do you use it placed on the desk?
Do you use it with AC power supply?

Which power profile do you use when notebook shuts down?
Have you tried to change power settings or anything else?

Before you start to use it intensively have you tried to end some background processes, disconnect external devices, just to see if this will help?
DR_3

Posted: 11-Apr-2012 20:45   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius

Hello Macius.

"When you use your notebook do you use it placed on the desk?"

- Yes, I place my notebook on the desk during useage.

"Do you use it with AC power supply?"

- At home I use an AC power supply. When I use my laptop at work I do not use an AC power supply, unless my laptop must be recharged.

"Which power profile do you use when notebook shuts down?"

- Pressing the "OFF" - button results into sleepmode, same applied when closing the monitor screen. Most of the time my laptop is in sleepmode when it is not in use.

"Have you tried to change power settings or anything else?"

- I tried changing to a more eco-friendly setting.

"Before you start to use it intensively have you tried to end some background processes, disconnect external devices, just to see if this will help?"

- This problem started today. I did not find myself in a situation where this action was necessary. I never connect external devices to the laptop.

The ticking noise from the fan is noticeable at laptop bootup, as the fan is getting activated. For now I have not heard any noise for around a hour. My fan does operate at 60% and I do not notice any overheating at this particular moment. Usually I would notice overheating (the surface temperature is noticeably higher then usual), but after the shutdown it did not happen again. In some way I think my fan is working more efficient.

I hope this was enough information for you Macius. Thank you for your time.

- DR
MasterG

Posted: 19-Apr-2012 15:32   in response to: DR_3 in response to: DR_3

Hi

You said that an strange noise is coming from the fan. right?
Hmm…maybe the cooling modules are not ok and the cooling system malfunctions.

It could be also dust inside the fans which prevents the cooling system from working properly…in such case I recommend using compressed air spray. This helps to remove dust from cooling grilles… but it could be simple hardware issue so this method would not improve the cooling performance…

In such case the service technician should take a look inside the notebook
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved