Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A135
Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery disk
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Apr-2012 07:58 Last Post By: Pedro
ZannaMoon

Satellite A135: Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery disk
Posted: 18-Mar-2012 04:35

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Toshiba Satellite A135-s7403 HDD failed, I replaced the hitachi 80gb with a WD Scorpio blue 250GB. When I try restoring with Recovery disk that came with laptop, it goes through both disk 1 and 2 and starts with the starting windows for first time and then goes to the blue greenish screen with the spinner Please wait....thne black screens for a second or 2 then goes back to spinner please wait, then it pops up box "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware." only option is to click OK.

When click ok you get another msg that says "windows could not complete the installation, to install windows reinstall." I have tried like 50 times now. Startup repair states root cause = Failure while setup is in progress. I know my disk are the right ones as I justed used then about a month ago when I upgraded the memory because the 512mb of orginal memory was not enought o run vista to well.

Silas

Re: Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery disk
Posted: 18-Mar-2012 09:38   in response to: ZannaMoon in response to: ZannaMoon

Hello
To be honest I don’t know what is wrong there but can you obtain original Microsoft installation disc and try to install OS, just to see if OS installation will be finished properly?
ZannaMoon

Re: Satellite A135: Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery
Posted: 18-Mar-2012 14:54   in response to: Silas in response to: Silas

Thanks for response, but Only OEM disk for Windows I have is Windows 95.
I shouldn't have to go buy another OS, I bought one with the laptop called Vista.
I should be able to restore OS system from Recovery disk that I bought with the laptop, that is what I thought they were for and is part of the cost of the laptop when you buy them.

I have called Toshiba Tech Support and they have been no help. The first tech told me the 320GB I bought was too big for motherboard, went and exchanged HDD for 250BGB and got same error.
The second tech said first tech gave me wrong info and the 320 should have worked and tried to insist something wrong with Recovery disk and wanted me to purchase new ones, but know there is nothing wrong with disk as I just used them before replacing the HDD.

I called back third time as I am really frustrated with Toshiba at this point as you should be able to recover OS from recovery disk as I paid for the OS with laptop. So expressed my frustration and again they wanted to insist on me buying another recovery disk and I said ok if I buy recovery disk and that does not fix the issue are you going to refund my money and I was told they would esclate ticket and someone would call me during M-F business hours, have not heard from anyone and that has been a week now.

I have searched other forums and it seems I am not the only one with this issue and seems to be after installing form recovery disk at start up it is looking for original hardware and since I replaced with different HDD it is having issue configuring windows.

I found this info but the MS HotFix is only for 64bit: http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/4k_hdd. I have also posted on MS forum and have sent email to see if they have for 32bit basic home edition.
Dr.Lamp

Re: Satellite A135: Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery
Posted: 18-Mar-2012 22:12   in response to: ZannaMoon in response to: ZannaMoon

Fact is that you don’t know exactly what the problem is. Either it is HDD or recovery disc. I don’t think there is something else that can be reason for your problem.
fact is also that you don’t use the same HDD as original one.

Test it with same HDD and you will see if this will works or not?
Silas had good ideas with own OS installation. Using Microsoft installation disc you can check if you will be able to install OS to new HDD. If something would be possible than is maybe recovery disc “troublemaker”.

You must understand that on this virtual way nobody can say for sure what is wrong there. What we can do here is to give you some idea how you should handle this issue.

On one way I can understand your frustration but on other way I think there is no reason for this. You have pretty old notebook designed for Vista and at this time HDD with 320 GB was not offered on the market. If your notebook has SATA HDD I think there should not be problem usage of this 250/320 GB HDD but I cannot ay it for sure.

Stay cool and try to find out if this issue is related to HDD or recovery disc.
ZannaMoon

Re: Satellite A135: Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery disk
Posted: 11-Apr-2012 03:16   in response to: ZannaMoon in response to: ZannaMoon

Ok, as I suspected....I returned the $70 WD 250GB HDD from Best Buy and purchased a $30 used eBay 80GB Hitachi HDD that was same as original HDD. Ran recovery disk and all installed fine and the laptop is up and running. So as I stated I knew nothing was wrong with the recovery disk, but why should I have to install same brand and GB of HDD to restore operating system that I bought with laptop...what if I want to upgrade the HDD? I shouldn't have to purchase another operating system when I bought one with the laptop. I will not buy another Toshiba ever !!!
Pedro

Re: Satellite A135: Vista won't start after HDD replacement using recovery disk
Posted: 11-Apr-2012 07:58   in response to: ZannaMoon in response to: ZannaMoon

...but why should I have to install same brand and GB of HDD to restore operating system that I bought with laptop...what if I want to upgrade the HDD? I shouldn't have to purchase another operating system when I bought one with the laptop. I will not buy another Toshiba ever !!!
In your case the whole situation is pretty stupid but, generally speaking, every notebook can be upgraded with new HDD or other operating system.
For instance I still use old Satellite M70 and it is older than your Satellite. I got it with 80GB HDD too and now I use it with 270 GB SATA HDD. It works perfectly. I also tested it with Win7. It runs OK.

I know that you are disappointed now but that’s not the reason to say I will not buy Toshiba anymore. The same can happen with other notebook brands.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved