Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite C660-10D - Bootmgr is missing
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Oct-2012 21:09 Last Post By: turbobai
LittleHal

Satellite C660-10D - Bootmgr is missing
Posted: 14-Mar-2012 11:06

Hi,

I bought a Toshiba Satellite C660-10D for my birthday last August and was a bit disappointed to find that it didn't include the Windows 7 disk - instead I found a "Recovery" partition to be used if there was a problem. Another disappointment was finding that the 500Gb hard drive I thought I was getting was actually about 360Gb - the remainder apparently partitioned off for the "Recovery".

After a few months use I decided to check out the recovery option and found it was inaccessible (Press F8 at boot up just didn't work). Scouting around the 'net found another option (I think that was something like ESC 0 at boot up) but that didn't work either.

I should have taken the darn thing back to the shop at that point but it was a 10 mile round trip and an injury kept me from driving. Anyhow, I decided to make my own back-up with Acronis (which has been a life-saver on my desktop PC).

The main installation took 3 DvDs and the "Recovery" partition went on another DvD. With hindsight, I should have backed up to a spare USB harddrive - it would have been quicker.

Anyway, Sod's Law, a few months later and I had to do a re-install from the Acronis back-up and, whilst everything seemed to install OK, I now just get the dreaded BOOTMGR IS MISSING message. Scanning the hard drive shows that the Windows installation is there but it just will not Boot.

Scouting around the 'net only came up with suggestions that involved using the installation disk which I hadn't been given. I just don't understand the logic of saving 20p for a DvD disk and taking up a 140Gb(ish) of a hard drive instead.

I have tried various other suggestions to repair the MBR (including FDISK.EXE /MBR) but nothing works. I even borrowed Win7 and Vista install disks from friends looking for the illusive "bootrec.exe" file that Microsoft claim would solve the problem, but it doesn't seem to exist. I have skimmed through various postings here but nothing seems to fit my situation.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. At a friend's suggestion I just installed Linux Ubuntu and that runs OK!! Why does that run OK and not my Windows backup???
MisterX

Re: Satellite C660-10D - Bootmgr is missing
Posted: 14-Mar-2012 14:42   in response to: LittleHal in response to: LittleHal

I bought a Toshiba Satellite C660-10D for my birthday last August and was a bit disappointed to find that it didn't include the Windows 7 disk - instead I found a "Recovery" partition to be used if there was a problem

The user manual provides an information that you can create own Recovery Disk using the preinstalled software called Toshiba Recover Media Creator. So apart from the HDD recovery, then Recovery disk could be used too.

So its always recommended to create an the Toshiba recover disk in case something wrong would happen to the HDD recovery or the HDD itself…

The Bootmgr is missing could be solved by new installation.
So wither you would use an Win 7 Microsoft disk and would install the drivers which could be downloaded from the Toshiba European driver page or you will order the recover disk here:

http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

From my knowledge it’s not expensive: about 30€
turbobai

Re: Satellite C660-10D - Bootmgr is missing
Posted: 18-Oct-2012 21:09   in response to: LittleHal in response to: LittleHal

Reason why "BOOTMGR is Missing" error occurs is outlined here:
http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b15/fix-bootmgr-is-missing.php
Article linked above also explains in detail how to fix it using Emergency Boot CD.
This tool can fix various boot problems related to boot records, BCD and mount points in registry.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved