Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to disable keyboard backlight on Portege Z830?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-May-2012 15:03 Last Post By: robuli
mc_scorpion

How to disable keyboard backlight on Portege Z830?
Posted: 12-Mar-2012 03:45

Hello eyeryone!

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following "problem" concerning the backlit keyboard of my Z830.

The thing is that I don't want to use this function when it's not necessary, but every time I change my energy setting from "eco" to something else the keyboard light comes on. I'd like to deactivate this function, so that the LED backlight is only turned on manually. Does anyone know where this setting can be changed?

The keyboard light is not mentioned in the list for the energy settings and the BIOS option is already set to "off".

Thanks
Silas

Re: How to disable keyboard backlight on Portege Z830?
Posted: 12-Mar-2012 08:14   in response to: mc_scorpion in response to: mc_scorpion

Hello Scorpion

I don’t have this notebook model but I think the principle is the same as on other notebooks.

Start Toshiba Assist > Optimize > HWSetup > and there you will find options for keyboard backlight.
There you can disable it.

Please check it out and send some feedback.
mc_scorpion

Posted: 12-Mar-2012 14:50   in response to: mc_scorpion in response to: mc_scorpion

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately there are no options concerning the keyboard backlight in "HWSetup". The only function of the keyboard that can be modified here is "wakeup via keyboard".

Any other ideas?
MasterG

Posted: 12-Mar-2012 15:08   in response to: mc_scorpion in response to: mc_scorpion
Helpful
Hi

Keyboard backlight can be enabled and disabled using the combination FN + Z (or Y depending on the keyboard layout).
There should be a tiny keyboard sign on the button.

Here is nice How TO:
How to enable and disable the keyboard backlight on Toshiba laptops
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ1A037R0000R01.htm
mc_scorpion

Posted: 13-Mar-2012 23:22   in response to: MasterG in response to: MasterG

I kow that it can be manually enabled/disabled like that. But it's rather tiresome to always have to shut off the keyboard backlight whenever I change my energy settings from "eco" to something else.
What I want to do is prevent the backlight from automatically coming on in the first place.....
Silas

Posted: 14-Mar-2012 07:52   in response to: mc_scorpion in response to: mc_scorpion

I’m really wondering this option is not available in HWSetup tool. On my Satellite P500 this option is there.
Anyway, check BIOS settings. Maybe is there some option where you can disable keyboard backlight. As far as I know on some older models there was option for illumination so maybe you can find something there.

Please post some feedback.
mc_scorpion

Posted: 17-Mar-2012 18:07   in response to: mc_scorpion in response to: mc_scorpion

No, the BIOS isn't the answer either. I checked that already and the option "keyboard backlight" was set to "off". I'm beginning to think that this problem is one of those glitches that don't have a simple solution. But feel free to prove me wrong.......
robuli

Posted: 03-Apr-2012 16:21   in response to: mc_scorpion in response to: mc_scorpion

Excuse my English. I am having troubles to turn the light on at all. I know that I can change the eco or presentation button into an on/off switch for the back light. But I have the same problem as you have. There is no setting that can be changed in HW Setup. No back light setting. Or at least I can't see it!
I go to Start-Programs-Toshiba-Utility-Button Support. I change the presentation button but nothing happens. I tried Fn+Y or Fn+Z.again... nothing happens. I read a lot about it, but now I am stocked. Thanks for helping me and us. In the meanwhile I use a candle!
xaver

Posted: 05-Apr-2012 08:11   in response to: robuli in response to: robuli

I know that I can change the eco or presentation button into an on/off switch for the back light.
Where have you found this info? As far as I know something like this is not possible.
All you can do is to change settings for keyboard backlight but it is not possible to define such option for some available button.

I think you should read user’s manuals that you got with your notebook one more time.
robuli

Posted: 05-Apr-2012 12:42   in response to: xaver in response to: xaver
Correct
I am really sorry. Just realized that I am the proud owner of a Portege R830 and not the Z830.
Again, my English is not great, so I didn't realize that I was looking for the wrong thing

. I really thought the LED back light is the same thing as the keyboard back light.
Stupid me! So obviously there is no keyboard backlight that comes with the R830 111, I think!
There is a LED back light!

Anyway,I wish you well...and thanks for answering.
I'll cut down on the alcohol before I disturb you again!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved