Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Permissions on Android AT200 removable SD card set to read only
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Mar-2012 07:49 Last Post By: rabel Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
rabel

Permissions on Android AT200 removable SD card set to read only
Posted: 10-Mar-2012 20:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Recently the removale SD card on my at200 has been set to read only for all but a few applications. This mean that when editing or trying to save, copy docs on the SD card I get the "not enough permissions" message. Any editing by these applications requires shifting files to onboard SD card and back again.

Toshiba file manager is able to rw OK, but my other file manager fails, as does ezy PDF.
Reading the attributes of the SD card show that it is set to rw for data.p (permissions XML). But looking at info from file manager shows sdcard directories and files set to dr- or -r-.

Is there some way of getting this changed to allow access for all my installed apps? Or even some?
Cheers
rabel
MisterX

Re: Permissions on Android AT200 removable SD card set to read only
Posted: 15-Mar-2012 08:04   in response to: rabel in response to: rabel

Hi

Reading your message it seems that your issue has nothing to do with the AT200 hardware but with the permissions set in single Android applications.
I think you should check the Android support forums to get more details about the single applications and how to change the permissions for these apps.
rabel

Posted: 17-Mar-2012 22:59   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

Thanks for that.

The reasoning for posting here is that EVERY app other than Toshiba file manager is being denied permissions to write to the external SD card regardless of the permissions viewable in the app manager, regardless of the permissions set on installation and regardless of the rw state of the SD card.

While I agree that it would be prudent to explore the "individual app" approach, and i have raised the issue with several of the app developers, it is unlikely that all non-toshiba apps have made the same error.

I'd really appreciate an experienced view of whether this is an android, Toshiba issue, as it presently makes this tablet much less useful than advertised. Given the weight toshiba attaches to connectivity and sdcard use in its advertising, i would suggest that it makes it unfit for purpose.

Since posting on this foum i have found this issue also has been the subject of numerous posts on other forums in regard to both the at200 and the toshiba thrive tablet. Again, with several unrelated apps, suggesting strongly that the issue is with the tablet or the installed os.

Cheers
A dedicated Toshiba user. Currently two laptops and this tablet.
rabel

Posted: 18-Mar-2012 07:49   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

MisterX,

Found this note from zc2 on the xda forum dealing with the same issue December 2011.

"The owners of Honeycomb-powered tablets experience a problem writing to the external SD card, because since v3.2 the permissions for the files there were changed from sdcard_rw to media_rw.
According the file /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml, any application with declared permission "android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" should be included to that media_rw group.
But that won't happen.
I made a test application to show the group membership (it just executes the "id" command), and according to its output, the application is not member of the media_rw group, despite the "android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" permission is mentioned in its manifest.xml"

This is somewhat confirmed by a comment returned to me from the AntTek File Explorer developers on an interum work around for this problem (a common one since 3.2)

"While waiting, the simple solution, if your device is rooted, is as follows:

1. Using AntTek File Explorer, active Native mode from application preference.

2. Navigate to /system/etc/permissions.

3. Open platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.

4. Add an additional group definition for this permission: <group gid="media_rw" />. It will grant AntTek Explorer (and other applications) permission to writing to removable SD Card. After edited, it will look like:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE">

<group gid="sdcard_rw" />

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

5. Save the changes to the file.

6. Restart your tablet."

My tablet is not rooted so this was not available to me, but it appears this is a major issue for Honeycomb, including the version on the AT200. Is there any plans to fix this bug do you think? Or is there a date for the promised update to ICS for the AT200, another prime selling point.

Cheers

Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved