Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 07-Mar-2012 14:08 Last Post By: greengrass Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
greengrass

OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
Posted: 24-Feb-2012 19:00

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all.
My laptop has suddenly stopped working. When i turn it on i have a screen that says "Startup Repair" and underneath "Windows can not repair this computer automatically"

I have tried to put it through a scan but to no avail.

I am completely lost as to what it may be. Im not sure if it was dropped or anything!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Feliks

Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
Posted: 24-Feb-2012 22:27   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

In your posting there is no explanation what was your last activity before you have noticed this problem.

Fact is that something is screwed up. The question is: have you some important data saved on HDD?
Best and easiest solution is OS installation (recovery image).

Can you start OS in safe mode?
greengrass

Posted: 25-Feb-2012 00:34   in response to: Feliks in response to: Feliks

Many thanks for your response.

I really dont know what happened to it. There is a possibility it was dropped but really not sure.
I know that it didnt get wet.

I had dropped it a year ago and had to get a new hard drive. This is different to what it was saying before as it wasnt registering any operating system.

I have loads of photos on there that i would be gutted if i couldnt retrieve them but seems like they will be lost.

Unfortunately i cant give any more info on it that might help other than its running on Vista.
greengrass

Posted: 25-Feb-2012 00:56   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

The first thing on the screen on startup is "windows is loading files"

Then the next screen which is grey says "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" and under that "If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart yout computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance" then under that "Click finish to exit and shut down your computer"

I havnt been able to find anything that does a "safe mode".
Apollogies for sounding thick but im not the best on computers.
greengrass

Posted: 25-Feb-2012 01:18   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

Right, i think i have something!
When i do a startup repair it comes up with a list of all the checks its done.
It says Root Cause found: Unknown Bugcheck: Bugcheck 9F. Parameters = 0x3, 0x84dc36b0, 0x86682968, 0xad91fe28.

under that.... Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1
Time taken = 10749ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2
Time taken = 62806ms.

Further down it says Test Performed:
Name: Target OS test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
So im making the assumption that the OS is fine then?
Dr.Lamp

Posted: 26-Feb-2012 10:32   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

You know what; if you don’t have some important files on your HDD install OS again using recovery discs. After doing this you will have clean preinstalled OS and everything will works again.

If you have most of photos and other important stuff saved on HDD you can remove HDD and connect it to other PC as external one. So you should have access to all your data and you can make a copy. After doing this put HDD back into your notebook and install OS again.
greengrass

Posted: 26-Feb-2012 16:26   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

Thanks for the info Dr Lamp.
I have tried using the OS disc (cheap one from ebay) and to no avail.
I was thinking it was likely that the HDD was knackered thus the lack of activity it was showing.?! If the laptop has a virus would it not mean the HDD was knackered anyway?!
As i said im really quite useless at this stuff....
MasterG

Posted: 27-Feb-2012 13:33   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

Hi

If you want to check the HDD then I would recommend doing this using the tool like Drive Fitness Test. Its freeware and can be downloaded from different pages.
This would create an bootable disk which would check the HDD.

If the HDD is ok, I recommend booting from Linux live CD like knoppix
This will allow you to get access to the files like photos and to backup the data
greengrass

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 00:07   in response to: MasterG in response to: MasterG

Progress..
Ive managed to get into Bios and found an OS disc which isnt an original.
The type and graphics come up (even though really hazy.....its not an original copy)It gave me some prompts but as its not original i thought it might do more harm than good. I stopped at that point for fear that carrying on with that disc would knacker the comp. But that obviously means the HDD is working fine and dont need to get another HDD.

Could anyone suggest how to get Vista back on it as im guessing its been wiped?!
PauPau

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 08:32   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

Could anyone suggest how to get Vista back on it as im guessing its been wiped?!

That’s simple: either you will use the Microsoft Vista installation disk or Toshiba recovery disk.
The Toshiba recovery disk can be ordered here for 30€:
http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
greengrass

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 13:51   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Thanks for the advice.
If by doing this will i keep everything that was on the comp or will it all get wiped installing the OS?
PauPau

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 13:58   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

The whole HDD would be formatted using the Recover disk. You will get the same state like at the first day of notebook purchase…
greengrass

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 14:02   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Right, so i would have to take the HDD out and put it in an enclosure and usb it to another comp to get the info off it first then?!
PauPau

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 14:11   in response to: greengrass in response to: greengrass

….or you would boot the notebook using an Linux live CD like Knoppix. This does not require any installation on the HDD and in such case you could get access to the HDD and to the files and could move it to an external USB HDD or USB flash stick
greengrass

Posted: 28-Feb-2012 14:26   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Wow you know your stuff.!!
Unfortunately that sounds like rocket science to me.

So you are saying download Knoppix on another comp, burn it onto a disc and put it into the notebook.

Then the notebook would read the Knoppix disc and you plug in an external HDD and put all your info on there?!

Sorry to be thick!!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved