Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Random keys not working Satellite A300
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Apr-2012 10:58 Last Post By: armandyte
Cherylee Dougan

Random keys not working Satellite A300
Posted: 17-Feb-2012 07:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a Toshiba Satellite A300, and for some reason, some keys on the keyboard have stopped working. Even in safe mode, they don't work.

Everything else about the laptop works, and is in as new condition. It was working fine one day, then the next day not. If anyone has any ideas as to why this has happened, and how to fix it, I would be extremely greatful!!

Thanks heaps :)
Feliks

Re: Random keys not working Satellite A300
Posted: 17-Feb-2012 07:39   in response to: Cherylee Dougan in response to: Cherylee Dougan
Helpful
On this virtual way it is not easy to say what is wrong there but it sounds to me that some keys are simply defective for some reason. Best evidence is that they don’t even work in safe mode.

Do maybe arrow keys or space key also don’t work? If this is the case try please to use them in BIOS settings and let us know if the same happen there.

To be honest I’m afraid you will not be able to fix this and in worst case the keyboard must be replaced. It’s not a big deal. In 10 minutes keyboard can be exchanged.
Paolo30

Posted: 17-Feb-2012 13:22   in response to: Cherylee Dougan in response to: Cherylee Dougan
Helpful
Hi

It could be possible that your internal keyboard malfunctions.
Are you able to use an external USB keyboard properly?
If yes, then I would recommend replacing the internal keyboard.

Greetings.
Cherylee Dougan

Posted: 19-Feb-2012 05:18   in response to: Feliks in response to: Feliks

The arrow keys and such do work, it is only a d g j q and s that don't work. I can move around in safe mode (those same keys don't work) and I can move the arrows etc around in bios - but I have no need/nowhere to test out the keys that aren't working in bios.

I have bought an external usb keyboard - and everything works on it. My ex is in the process of uninstalling the internal keyboard, and then will re install it, to see if that makes any difference.

We have tried to pull the laptop apart, so we can replace the ineternal keyboard (yes he has done this before, on many laptops) but it doesn't seem to want to come apart, and he doesn't want to break it! It seems to be stuck around the touchpad area. It is a $2,500 laptop, that is not even two years old yet :(
Silas

Posted: 19-Feb-2012 21:54   in response to: Cherylee Dougan in response to: Cherylee Dougan

It is very easy to exchange keyboard on Toshiba notebooks and principle is always the same.
Have a look here .
Anyway if you think something can be damaged ask Toshiba service for help. They can do this for you.
Wadamc

Posted: 29-Feb-2012 09:24   in response to: Cherylee Dougan in response to: Cherylee Dougan

I have the same thing on my a320. I used it last night and it was fine. Today, I can't use these keys in parentheses (aqsdgj,.). It is very odd, but seeing someone else with the same keys not functioning give s hope. I I'm running windows update now. Hopefully it helps. Next, I'm going to boot into ubuntu and see if they work. Have you installed any new programs recently? I wonder if that may be the cause.
Paolo30

Posted: 29-Feb-2012 10:40   in response to: Cherylee Dougan in response to: Cherylee Dougan

have bought an external usb keyboard - and everything works on it
In my opinion its definitely an internal keyboard malfunction…and means that keyboard needs to be replaced.. in my opinion you had simply bad luck that the keyboard started to malfunction…
armandyte

Posted: 04-Apr-2012 10:58   in response to: Cherylee Dougan in response to: Cherylee Dougan

hi there! recently i got the same prob with mine A300 as well. I guess it happened after the win or bios updates - both been done at the same day - but the problem i found later. the difference probably (comparing your prob with mine) is that after restarting win it works for some times.
ps. my Vista is in italian language, but as i use others too - i mostly find that problem happen after switching between them. not sure yet. still catching that moment...
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved