Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L350D-21 Problems using recovery disks to recovery to new HDD
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-Feb-2012 21:52 Last Post By: Macius
sawallenius

Satellite L350D-21 Problems using recovery disks to recovery to new HDD
Posted: 28-Jan-2012 10:20

Hi,

I have SATELLITE L350D-212 notebook with windows 7 home premium OA.
It started to complain that there was something wrong with the harddisk so I went and bought another harddisk of same size.

I have created the recovery disk when the computer was bought and have backup of all the data in external harddisk.

After I changed the new harddisk to the notebook and tried to boot from recovery disk nothing happens eventhoug I can see that there seems to be everything Ok with the disk.

Any ideas on how to get the recovery to run for the new harddisk?

I have the old harddisk attached as external disk via USB but can't boot from that too. It just stops at some point and says to shutdown.
xaver

Re: Satellite L350D-21 Problems using recovery disks to recovery to new HDD
Posted: 28-Jan-2012 21:13   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius

Hi

Usually the recovery disk should format the new HDD but I would recommend to attach the new HDD as an external device to another computer and to format this new HDD before trying to recover the notebook.

After the HDD has been formatted, connect it to the L350D and boot from the recover disk…

Good luck
sawallenius

Posted: 29-Jan-2012 10:06   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius

Hi Xaver,
My problem is that the notebook doesn't boot from the recovery disks. So I don't think I need to have the new harddisk formatted at this point.

I was hoping someone else has had similar problems or some alternative way to do this?
Silas

Posted: 29-Jan-2012 10:29   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius
Helpful
My problem is that the notebook doesn't boot from the recovery disks.
Well, in such case you should check if you can boot from other Windows disks…
Either the recovery disk is faulty of the CD/DVD drive malfunctions.
Pedro

Posted: 30-Jan-2012 08:13   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius

It is not easy to understand what is wrong there.
Generaly speaking you can use recovery disc to install OS on every compatible HDD so the whole situation is a bit confusing for me.

Enter BIOS and set it to default settings. After restart press F12 to enter boot menu. Put recovery disc into optical disc drive, choose CD/DVD drive in the menu and press enter button.

What happen when you do this?
sawallenius

Posted: 31-Jan-2012 17:16   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius

Hi Pedro,
That's my problem as well. Can't understand whats wrong.
The problem is that the notebook doesn't boot from recovery disks. I can read the data from disk without any problems with another computer but booting just wont work.

Enter BIOS and set it to default settings. After restart press F12 to enter boot menu. Put recovery disc into optical disc drive, choose CD/DVD drive in the menu and press enter button.

What happen when you do this?

Nothing. I need to restart the computer.

Now at first I thought that there has to be something wrong with the recovery disks and there could be but as I can read the disk without problems with another computer I was thinking that maybe there would be a way to get those working. Or if someone else new what could cause this. I don't think that the problem is in the CD/DVD drive but haven't been able to rule it out either.
Macius

Posted: 31-Jan-2012 21:43   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius
Helpful
Can your notebook read any other bootable disc?
If possible test it with Microsoft installation disc.
Does the same happen again?
sawallenius

Posted: 05-Feb-2012 17:35   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius

Hi all,
Thanks for all of your comments.
I ordered the recovery disks from toshiba and those worked like a charm so the problem nwas with my recovery disks.
Macius

Posted: 05-Feb-2012 21:52   in response to: sawallenius in response to: sawallenius

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. ;)
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved