Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L655-158 - No cooling fan grill on base
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14-Jan-2012 09:10 Last Post By: jimster627
jimster627

Satellite L655-158 - No cooling fan grill on base
Posted: 13-Jan-2012 21:52

Hi all

Just a quick question, I am repairing a toshiba satellite l655-158 for someone and have found the cooling fan grill is blocked.
I took it apart and it is just moulded plastic on the other side but the fan sits directly over where the Grill should be.
It does have the grill on the side to vent the warm air but nowhere to drag cool air from.

It has the gril on the outside but looks as if it was not completed at the factory if that makes sense.

Also the heat sink is connected to the the CPU and runs to the cooling fins but does not connect to the GPU along the way which i find a little strange considering it runs directly over it but does not connect to it and so not providing the GPU with any cooling.

So i guess my question is, Is this somthing toshiba meant to do or maby a mistake at the factory.

It just so happens it is the GPU which is the faulty part but looking at the above faults its not suprising the GPU has failed.

Sorry to babble on a bit but i just could not find any info on the internet.

Any info on these would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance.
Jamie

Macius

Re: Satellite L655-158 - No cooling fan grill on base
Posted: 14-Jan-2012 08:44   in response to: jimster627 in response to: jimster627

Hello Jamie

To be honest I cannot imagine such mistakes can happen. You know that every notebook manufacturer produce hundreds of thousands notebooks and such mistakes are conspicuous.

Similar thing is on my Satellite A660. At the bottom there is place for cooling but the wholes are off.
I just hope you are good in notebook repairing and you will be able to fix friends notebook. ;)
jimster627

Re: Satellite L655-158 - No cooling fan grill on base
Posted: 14-Jan-2012 09:10   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius

Hello Macius

Thanks for your reply.

Yea i have been doing this for a good while now and never noticed the cooling fan grill blocked out before on other laptops.
Just seems a bit daft to me but i guess your right they are mass produced and so mistakes like that dont happen.

It makes no sense not to provide better cooling considering it is that very factor that has caused this laptop to fail.

The only option to me with this one is to replace the motherboard which will put it right, I could try to reball the GPU to the motherboard but thats alot of messing about with no guarantee it will work.

I think i might just put it down to bad design.
Cheers for taking the time to have a look at the question. :-0)
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved