Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Jan-2012 02:16 Last Post By: racock Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
racock

Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
Posted: 12-Jan-2012 20:36

Hi,

I've got a work laptop (Portege R830), which doesn't want to sniff packets. I've got it connected to a Netgear Hub (DS104), along with an older notebook, and then uplink to ADSL.

Running a continuous ping to the default gateway and Wireshark on both devices and the other computer can see the pings from the Toshiba, but not vice-versa.

The Toshiba is running as an Administrator account, has the Windows Firewall disabled, and my Symantec End Point Encryption disabled. I don't have any other AV to my knowledge.

Does anyone have any ideas of services I should disable/enable, or knowledge of the features of this NIC?

According to the Intel site "Yes, all currently marketed Intel® PRO/100, Intel® PRO/1000, Intel® Gigabit, Intel® PRO/10 Gigabit, and Intel® 10 Gigabit adapters support Promiscuous mode. " But the Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller is not in the list that follows on; http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-004185.htm?wapkw=%28promiscuous%29

Thanks for your time.
Akuma

Re: Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
Posted: 16-Jan-2012 00:42   in response to: racock in response to: racock
Helpful
Usually the firewall or Internet Security software blocks pings so perhaps try uninstalling Symantec completely. Just disabling it may not disable everything.

Another thing to try is use a Static IP Address instead of DHCP. Disabling IPv6 or installing a newer LAN driver from the Intel website may also help.
racock

Posted: 19-Jan-2012 01:36   in response to: racock in response to: racock

Thanks Akuma, I'll give that a go and come back.
racock

Posted: 23-Jan-2012 02:16   in response to: racock in response to: racock

Spot on Akuma,

Thank you. It was the End Point Security, which even though disabled, still blocked promiscuous traffic. Un-instaling it, resolved the issue.

Now all I've got to do is get symantec to accept it.....

Cheers.

Rich.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved