Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 65 - Pages: 5 [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 21-Sep-2012 13:06 Last Post By: Iluminatus23
Beatrice

Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
Posted: 27-Dec-2011 20:06

Hello,

I just purchased the Toshiba Satellite Z830 - 10J and am very surprised by the loud fan noise!

I read on other forums that the noise might be louder depending on the device or that a BIOS update might help slowing down the fan activity when the laptop is running idle. Does someone know if there is a remedy to the fan noise?

For me it is really impossible to work with such an ongoing noise!!!

Thank you for your help.
assex

Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
Posted: 28-Dec-2011 07:34   in response to: Beatrice in response to: Beatrice

At the moment don’t think about BIOS update.
What you should try at first is to change “Cooling method settings”.

Open power profile that you use (probably Balanced) > Advanced power options > Toshiba Power Saver Settings > Cooling Method and change both options to “Battery Optimized”.

It should reduce cooling fan activity.
michaelm

Posted: 28-Dec-2011 16:41   in response to: assex in response to: assex

Hi,

I have tried this method and unfortunately only the pitch of the noise is lowered, the amplitude remains the same and the fan remains constantly on.

Can you think of anything else to try?

Thanks.
Dr.Lamp

Posted: 28-Dec-2011 22:32   in response to: michaelm in response to: michaelm

Try to disable all useless programmes (running applications) in task manager ust to see if less CPU usage will reduce cooling fan activity.
michaelm

Posted: 29-Dec-2011 00:41   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

Have tried to no success I'm afraid. The noise still continues, even during idle.

There has to be a way around this, the fan simply does not need to be active all the time, especially in a seemingly wholly solid state laptop with passive cooling systems.

If there was a way to control when the fan engaged, such as a certain temperature or cpu load, that would be helpful.

Thanks.
TobiasG_1

Posted: 03-Jan-2012 21:06   in response to: michaelm in response to: michaelm

Hi!

Any news on this issue? I have the exact same issue. The fan is running constantly and has done som from day one. It's a very annoying sound. Appart from that the Z830 seems great!

Best Regards
// Tobias
PauPau

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 13:10   in response to: TobiasG_1 in response to: TobiasG_1
Helpful
Please check this regarding the recommended Power Plane settings:

1st Proposal:
Cooling Method: Maxim Performance
Intel Turbo boost Technology: Enable
CPU Frequency mode: Always low

2nd Proposal:
Cooling Method: Battery Optimized
Intel Turbo boost Technology: Disable
CPU Frequency mode: Always high

Here you can find the single options:

<Setting Method>
Changes in Operating System:
Control Panel --> Power Options --> Change plan settings --> Change advanced power settings --> TOSHIBA Power Saver Settings --> Cooling Method

Changes in Bios (Power Management):
Intel Turbo boost Technology

Changes in Operating System:
TOSHIBA HW Setup --> CPU Frequency mode
TobiasG_1

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 20:24   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Hi!

I've tried your two proposals now and can't hear any difference at all between the two.

The fan starts running at a constant pace as soon as the computer is powered on and then remains at the same level even at total inactivity (0-1 % CPU usage).

When the CPU load increases then the fan noise increases too. The fan noise will eventually drop to "normal" (to loud) when the processor load is decreased again.

BR
// Tobias
michaelm

Posted: 10-Jan-2012 00:15   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Thanks for your input PauPau, but like TobiasG_1, the changes you suggested did little to affect the noise of the fan.

I have updated the BIOS to 1.4, but that did not help, nor did it provide any additional settings that may have affected the fan. SpeedFan looked promising, but because the laptop is new, it did not support the z830 motherboard.
I have heard of a few people 'solving' the issue by physically disconnecting the fan, apparently with little heat issues, but I would rather not have to resort to this.

I am still trying to think of a solution to this, but I'm afraid my resolve is weakening!

Thanks.
MisterX

Posted: 10-Jan-2012 13:27   in response to: michaelm in response to: michaelm

The fan noise will eventually drop to "normal" (to loud) when the processor load is decreased again
Well, in such case you should determine what process stresses the CPU.
Check this process and if possible disable this .
fabio.sch

Posted: 10-Jan-2012 18:08   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

Just purchased a Z830 and I have the same problem - really awful noise from the fan.
No process uses the CPU: look:

top - 19:06:02 up 6 min, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.10, 0.05
Tasks: 158 total, 1 running, 157 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 0.8%us, 0.6%sy, 0.0%ni, 98.6%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 4017472k total, 913652k used, 3103820k free, 41972k buffers
Swap: 4090876k total, 0k used, 4090876k free, 533068k cached

so there is a different problem somewhere in the controller of the fan. I also changed BIOS settings with no benefit.
In another forum Toshiba guys say there is noise, but there is also on other PC's, which is quite an embarassing answer.

Any hint, besides removing the fan?
thanks!
fabio

b400015

Posted: 11-Jan-2012 22:32   in response to: fabio.sch in response to: fabio.sch

Hello, don't bother with bios update... it is a case problem. And especially a "pipe" design problem. The cooler itself is very very quiet when is out of the case. You can use a resistance on the red wire. Probably will void the warranty. Anyway I have a quiet ultrabook now.
fabio.sch

Posted: 12-Jan-2012 10:22   in response to: b400015 in response to: b400015

What do you mean, in practice, by "You can use a resistance on the red wire"? What did you do?
b400015

Posted: 13-Jan-2012 23:26   in response to: fabio.sch in response to: fabio.sch

Let me explain:
Probably every noctua fan comes bundled with two adapters reducing the incoming voltage to 7V (L.N.A. – Low Noise Red Adapter) and 5V (U.L.N.A. – Ultra Low Noise Black Adapter). See the image here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/fan-roundup_3.html
I just cut the wire with the resistance from the Low Noise Red Adapter and use it. Z830 cooler have 4 wires: red, yellow, black and blue I think. Cut the red wire and use the wire with the adapter. This adapter is in fact a resistance (which probably can be found in stores - unfortunately I don't know the characteristics for it)

After this operation, the fan noise is imperceptible. Anyway, if you put your ear on the back of the notebook you'll be able to hear a slight irritating buzzing sound.
The fan itself is quiet. When the fan is on a table which block the air entering from below it will be more noisier (can make about twice as much noise). Till now, noise means just air flow.
But, when the fan is inside the case, because of the really bad design of the copper pipe and "wings" - wings that cool the pipe, the air running out through the wings will make the BUZZ, very irritating and frustrating.
Till now I use a Dell Latitude 13 with ULV processor + software able to lower the rpm. I preffer passive cooling :)

Even now, as I am typing in a dead silence environment, I can still hear a buzz from 20-30 cm away. But I have to push my ears hard to hear this!

I'm wondering if toshiba will do something for this....
HPop_1

Posted: 18-Jan-2012 20:04   in response to: Beatrice in response to: Beatrice

Hi there,

I bought a Z830 and returned it because of this inacceptable fan noise.
I also wrote serveral emails to the support team telling them, that they need to do something about it. But instead of addressing the problem they just denied that there is an issue with the fan noise, although I sent them another email with a lot of links to online critiques, forums and videos.

The fact that they seem to simply ignore it makes me never consider a Toshiba product again. The Z830 would have been the perfect ultrabook for me and some members of my family... However, this way, Toshiba lost 4 customers.
Today, lots of manufactures forget or ignore the impact support services have - they sell their products and that's it for them. Same story with Android Smartphones and the update support.

However, if Toshiba decide to solve this issue - it is their fail - I would eventually buy one again.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved