Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite C650 - "No battery is detected"
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Nov-2011 16:12 Last Post By: MisterX
Blackmojito

Satellite C650 - "No battery is detected"
Posted: 21-Nov-2011 16:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all,

(I apologise if this has already been covered, but each problem is different!)

I have a Satellite C650, bought ~August 2010. Basically, I have a problem with the battery. It is in place, with the AC power pack plugged in and recognised. Both LEDs are showing green.

When the desktop loads, however, the battery icon is empty, with a red cross and a power cable symbol on top. Hovering over, it says "No battery is detected."

The machine seems to be working fine, and about the normal speed, and there are no other signs to suggest it is damaged either on the screen or externally. The only other defect is that a fan that is slow to "wind up", but the laptop is no hotter than usual.

What have I tried? Powering off, taking out the AC adapter, then removing and replacing the battery. There is no sign of damage to the battery or around it. The same "icon issue" remains.

I am a student, so this is pretty essential. Also, with the AC cord is plugged in, will the machine continue to run as normal - or just suddenly die?

I am a bit of a technophobe, so nothing too complicated please - but all suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

JW
MasterG

Re: Satellite C650 - "No battery is detected"
Posted: 22-Nov-2011 14:39   in response to: Blackmojito in response to: Blackmojito

Also, with the AC cord is plugged in, will the machine continue to run as normal - or just suddenly die?

Not sure if I understood this correctly. The notebook will and should run properly with connected AC adaptor.

Usually the battery should charge when the AC adaptor is connected. If the battery is fully charged, the battery led should switch to green and the charging process should stop.

However, I would recommend updating the BIOS in order to check if the battery issue would be still available…

If BIOS update does not help, you should replace the battery with another compatible one.
Blackmojito

Posted: 23-Nov-2011 00:09   in response to: MasterG in response to: MasterG

Thanks. Yes, everything seems to be running fine with the AC cable in, which is the most important thing.

So I probably won't be delving into the world of BIOS just yet! (Last time I got it sent off for something, Toshiba tried to charge me at least £130 to bypass it - eventually, the problem had nothing to do with BIOS anyway)

Well, I can carry on. Would just love to know why it's showing "Battery not detected" when it clearly is in place!
MisterX

Posted: 23-Nov-2011 11:24   in response to: Blackmojito in response to: Blackmojito

So I probably won't be delving into the world of BIOS just yet! (Last time I got it sent off for something, Toshiba tried to charge me at least £130 to bypass it - eventually, the problem had nothing to do with BIOS anyway)

Probably it’s not BIOS issue but if new BIOS has been released I would try to update the BIOS in order to check if the battery issue could be solved… after such update you should try to set the BIOS to default. Then wait and check if the OS would detect the battery… but of course the notebook should be tested with a new battery.

EDIT: I found this advice... test it:

Disconnect AC
Shutdown
Remove battery
Connect AC
Startup
Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).
Shutdown
Disconnect AC
Insert battery
Connect AC
Startup
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)