Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
NB550D bloatware
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24-Nov-2011 12:50 Last Post By: Tonny Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
poguemahone

NB550D bloatware
Posted: 11-Nov-2011 10:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi there

Just bought this laptop today and I'm quite frankly shocked with the ammount of rubbish which has come loaded on it. I was thinking rather than spend ages going through removing every single little program and checking every service I'd like to format and start again.

I know on these kind of things they are fairly locked down. Also I find it weird that they spit the drive pretty much into 2, 100 gig for Data and 100 gig for windows

Anyway has anyone cleaned up their netbook? it would be interesting to see what I can and cannot remove, also once I've cleaned it will I be able to take an image so that the recovery system will boot to my image rather than the bloatware one which is stored?

Also I've bought this laptop from someone and their profile seems attached to it, I went to do the recovery holding down F8 but it asked me for the previous owners password. Is there anyway to remove that users profile and start from scratch?

Cheers
TubaMagna8

Re: NB550D bloatware
Posted: 11-Nov-2011 10:43   in response to: poguemahone in response to: poguemahone

You can uninstall all the software which has been included, If you have the restore disc it will install all the bloatware. If you create your own username and make sure that it is an administrator, then once logged in to the new account you should be able to remove the other.

Hope this helps

Regards
Jonathan
NaughtyNigel

Posted: 11-Nov-2011 12:49   in response to: TubaMagna8 in response to: TubaMagna8

If you are going to do a clean install I would suggest that you do it with Windows 7 Professional or similar; which is what we have done.

Please note you can install a single Toshiba 4GB RAM module without any problems, and this speeds things up significantly.

However, we have a problem re-installing the video driver in ours for some reason, so I wouldn't rush to do it!

NN
poguemahone

Posted: 11-Nov-2011 13:20   in response to: NaughtyNigel in response to: NaughtyNigel

Nigel, I was going to put a better version of windows 7 on it. Also I don't care about the paritions, I'm gonna have 1 drive.

My main issue is with all the rubbish included, it took me 10 minutes to remove the Bing toolbar!! I can't help but think theyve loaded the laptop with soo much gumpf its significantly slowing performance.

Nigel what were the problems with installing the video driver?

Also is it fairly easy to remove the recovery partition?

Cheers
t13rteen

Posted: 11-Nov-2011 15:14   in response to: NaughtyNigel in response to: NaughtyNigel

Nigel, note that you can only install a 4GB RAM module on models with the C-50 APU, otherwise models equipped with the C-30 APU only support 32-bit.

There's nothing wrong with installing the video driver, you either download it from Toshiba or amd.com, just make sure to select the correct model for your graphics card.

I don't reccomend deleting the recovery however without first making a recovery CD using the software provided on the install by Toshiba. You'll delete the recovery if you delete the partition D:
poguemahone

Posted: 11-Nov-2011 19:29   in response to: poguemahone in response to: poguemahone
Helpful
Just to update you guys

I managed to get a lite version of windows 7 on a USB stick, booted from this and removed all partitions then installed. 100% faster and runs great. Really impressed with this little book. Ive tried running some films from the netbook using VLC player which are 720p MKV outputting via HDMI to the tv and I'm noticing no difference in performance when selecting the use GPU acceleration setting on VLC.

Toshiba should be embarrassed with the ammount of bloatware they included on the laptop, it is like getting a fast car then loading it full of bricks!!!
Tonny

Posted: 24-Nov-2011 12:50   in response to: poguemahone in response to: poguemahone

Hi

The notebooks are different from desktop PCs.

Of course you don’t need such software like VAP, Flash Cards, Eco utility, HDD protection utility, etc… if you use an desktop PC but such software is needed in order to control the notebook features…

But this you own decision if you want to use such additional features on your notebook. You can remove/uninstall these tools if you don’t need such software and the notebook features.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved