Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Portege R830-very noisy fan that runs until the machine hangs!
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-Jan-2012 10:19 Last Post By: PauPau
Brucead

Portege R830-very noisy fan that runs until the machine hangs!
Posted: 08-Oct-2011 09:48

Click to reply to this thread Reply
My 3 month old R830's fan runs loud and often...and on a daily basis will stay running noisily until eventually the machine freezes!!!...which is very, very frustating.

Someone mentioned to me it had something to do with the fingerprint security software...go figure!....but either way I am keen to find someone who has a fix.

As it is I think the machine is way over rated, as it is only an SSD improvement on the orginal R600, which when it cam out was best in its class. A disappointing 'high end' laptop from my point of view...and the so-called 'new' model Z series looks very much the R600 with a SAME size SSD...so as it looks like I'm stuck with this one, I'm trying to find a fix for a very annoying problem.

Message was edited by: Brucead
1994F7PT

Re: Portege R830-very noisy fan that runs until the machine hangs!
Posted: 10-Oct-2011 16:30   in response to: Brucead in response to: Brucead

uninstall the suspect fingerprint reader driver and install the latest one from the toshiba support pages
PauPau

Posted: 10-Oct-2011 16:43   in response to: Brucead in response to: Brucead

Hi mate

Please check the settings in the Win 7 power management!
There you can optimize the CPU and cooling module performance… this should help to reduce the heat dissipation and fan rotation speed
Furthermore I recommend updating the Toshiba Fingerprint Software immediately to version V1.0.2.32 or higher. Furthermore disable the power save option of the Fingerprint device in the device manager.
Device manager -> Biometric Devices -> Authen Tec Inc. AES1610 -> Power Management

Here you have to remove the mark near the option called ’allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’. But disabling the power saver mode will reduce the battery runtime… so you may check if this help or not to reduce the noice.
CrimsonHat

Posted: 27-Nov-2011 04:45   in response to: Brucead in response to: Brucead

I have a similar problem... I've unistalled the finger print SW. But still one of the CPU's is running at nearly 100% full time even when I'm doing nothing...

When I look in the task manager it says that only 25% of the processor is being used and I can only see 3 threads beloning to "System"

It's pretty dire actually... The machine is unuseable as a work machine because it disturbs everyone in the office with the noisy fan running all the time.
Tonny

Posted: 28-Nov-2011 11:33   in response to: CrimsonHat in response to: CrimsonHat

Try the BIOS update and install the newest version of Fingerprint as posted above.
Furthermore check the BIOS settings. Within the BIOS you can find the options for CPU and cooling module options which could help to decrease the cooling module frequency.

If this does not help, try to reinstall the OS once again… maybe the processes hangs due to ‘dirty’ OS.
PauPau

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 10:19   in response to: Brucead in response to: Brucead

Hi

You could try to disable the fingerprint in device manager or simply remove the fingerprint software for some testing purposes.
Additionally please also check the table below regarding the recommended Power Plane settings:

1st Proposal:
Cooling Method: Maxim Performance
Intel Turbo boost Technology: Enable
CPU Frequency mode: Always low

2nd Proposal:
Cooling Method: Battery Optimized
Intel Turbo boost Technology: Disable
CPU Frequency mode: Always high

Here you can find the single options:

<Setting Method>
Changes in Operating System:
Control Panel --> Power Options --> Change plan settings --> Change advanced power settings --> TOSHIBA Power Saver Settings --> Cooling Method

Changes in Bios (Power Management):
Intel Turbo boost Technology

Changes in Operating System:
TOSHIBA HW Setup --> CPU Frequency mode
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)