Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A100-386 - How to update the BIOS?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Sep-2011 13:15 Last Post By: Andrej
FPSim

Satellite A100-386 - How to update the BIOS?
Posted: 25-Sep-2011 08:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I just wanted to upgrade my old Satellite A100-386 with 4gb RAM (2x2Gb Crucial) instead of 1Gb, as I am now under Windows7 Pro 64bits instead of the original XP 32.

I read I had to upgrade the BIOS as mine is v2.00. So, I downloaded the last one.
It seems to be an automatic BIOS upgrade (S10V600.exe) as mentioned on Toshiba Website.
But when hit the .exe, I have an error message box telling me :
"LOADPEDRV.EXE: failed to start the service"

My question is: Do I need to be 32bits OS to run the automatic BIOS upgrade or is ther any way to flash the BIOS with a Windows7 64 bits OS running?

Thank's a lot for any answer as I did not find "how to" in research mode on this furum.

Best regards
Francois
Xardas

Re: Satellite A100-386 - How to update the BIOS?
Posted: 25-Sep-2011 10:33   in response to: FPSim in response to: FPSim

Hi FPSim,

Who says that you have to update the BIOS just for RAM upgrade? The maximum RAM capacity is depending on mainboard and chipset and not BIOS.

On official Toshiba website I saw that the model supports 4GB RAM so BIOS update is not necessary. Upgrade the RAM and everything is ok.
FPSim

Posted: 25-Sep-2011 11:29   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Hi Xardas,

Thank you for your answer.
What I forgot to mention is that when I connect the two RAM memory, I have a black screen without BIOS. If I connect only one memory, everything is OK.

I bought my RAM from Crucial after the online test. This is a 4Gb kit (2x2GB) DDR2-5300 (instead of 1GB Samsung DDR2-4200 original).
If I do not connect one, everything is OK. As soon as I connect the second memory, I have a black screen and no Bios. And, regardless of the location used. I also have a black screen when I connect a Crucial 2Gb and 1Gb memory Samsung.

Hence my idea of ​​having to flash the BIOS so that the memory is taken into account (which is newer than the one that comes standard). New Bios often takes in consideration new memory or new CPU.
I have not found the list of improvements made by the new BIOS. Please note that this is the first time I am updating a laptop, but I go up for years of desktop PCs, and there is always the list of improvements, such sites Asus or MSI.

Even if 2Gb of Crucial is better than the original 1Gb, as I am under Windows7 Pro 64, I really like to validate more RAM (up to 4Gb as this model supports).

Best regards
Francois
PauPau

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 13:53   in response to: FPSim in response to: FPSim

What I forgot to mention is that when I connect the two RAM memories, I have a black screen without BIOS. If I connect only one memory, everything is OK

I don’t think that this has something to do with the BIOS…
In my opinion one of the modules is not ok or both modules cannot work together.

I would use exactly the same modules in order to be 100% sure that there is no compatibility issue.
FPSim

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 15:30   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Hi PauPau,

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

I do not think the problem comes from one of the memories because whatever one I connect, it works perfectly (either the number 1 slot as the slot number 2) BUT it has to be alone (only one slot).

I bought the RAM from Crucial on their Website, and they are paired (like Twinx fot Corsair). Each ram module is exactly the same than the other one (no compatibility issue).

I think the only way to know if the BIOS update fixes the problem is ... to update the BIOS ;>)

So, back to my first question: can I update the BIOS with a WindowsSeven 64-bit or should I use Windows XP or Vista or Seven, BUT 32-bit?

I redownloaded several times S10V600.exe but each time I have the same problem: "LOADPEDRV.EXE: failed to start the service".

I also note that I tried with my antivirus (NOD 32 Eset) off and disconnected from the Web.

Best regards
Francois
Tonny

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 16:26   in response to: FPSim in response to: FPSim

So, back to my first question: can I update the BIOS with a Windows Seven 64-bit or should I use Windows XP or Vista or Seven, BUT 32-bit?
In your case I would use the same OS which was preinstalled by Toshiba.

Here is also a nice HowTo doc about how to update the BIOS
http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=60
FPSim

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 20:32   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

Hi Tonny,

Thank you for your intervention.

I've seen this file, very explicit, and the downloaded bios clearly corresponds to the third scenario: "Bios update number 3".

In my case, the file is not named P0066V200.exe but S10V600.exe. And when I run it, I have the error message mentioned above.

Of course, I can always reinstall the Windows XP that came with this laptop. But to avoid this, I wondered if there was any way to flash in 64-bit (changing OS requires backup everything and reinstall later). If 64 bit is realy the problem.

Maybe is there a way to boot from a USB key or DOS floppy disk, with the binary file (*. rom) and the an exe that allows to install?

Thank you for all your lights

Regards
Francois

Message was edited by: FPSim
Tonny

Posted: 28-Sep-2011 11:37   in response to: FPSim in response to: FPSim

Maybe is there a way to boot from a USB key or DOS floppy disk, with the binary file (*. rom) and the an exe that allows to install?

Well, Toshiba European driver page does not provide a traditional BIOS update version, just the win-based version. So I’m afraid you will not be able to flash this using diskette or USB flash stick. :(
Andrej

Posted: 28-Sep-2011 13:15   in response to: FPSim in response to: FPSim

Since few years Toshiba offers Win BIOS updates only.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved