Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite Pro A100-PSAAAE CPU upgrade
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17-May-2012 19:33 Last Post By: Macius
Moravo

Satellite Pro A100-PSAAAE CPU upgrade
Posted: 24-Sep-2011 10:18

Hi Toshiba,

I have an old Satellite Pro A100 PSAAAE-type and i would like to upgrade the CPU. I've seen that the socket is 479, and i've found that it exists Core 2 Duo on this socket. The chipset 945GM supports Core 2 Duo, but i don't know if the BIOS of my laptop supports these CPU.

Can anyone confirm or not ?

Thanks in advance.
PauPau

Re: Satellite Pro A100-PSAAAE CPU upgrade
Posted: 24-Sep-2011 10:53   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo

Hi

Generally speaking, the CPU upgrade is not recommended.
Of course you can use the CPUs which are supported by chipset but the BIOS compatibility is other story. Nobody can say if your notebook would run stable after such upgrade due to the higher heat dissipation.

But I read in this forum that some guys have upgraded the CPU and the notebook still run…
Moravo

Posted: 24-Sep-2011 15:13   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo

Ok, it's an haphazard operation. Thanks for the answer.

So let's minimize the risk. Less the architecture of the CPU, which is being installed, is different of the present CPU (it's a Core Duo T2300), less the risk for stability is going to be. Is a Core 2 Duo so different of a Pentium M/Core Duo ?
Also, if i successfully put a Core 2 Duo, installing a x64 OS is more risky for the stability ? Because i think the BIOS didn't be checked for x64 (Core Duo T2300 is a 32 bit CPU). Or it doesn't matter ?
Maybe the best solution is to stay at a Core Duo architecture.
PauPau

Posted: 24-Sep-2011 20:31   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo

Is a Core 2 Duo so different of a Pentium M/Core Duo?
It’s not a question if the Core 2 Duo is different much more than other CPU.
The point is that CPU with higher performance creates more warmness and this can affect the notebook functionality.
As far as I know nobody can say if the BIOS would be 100 % compatible with a new CPU because it was tested only with the CPUs which were equipped with the notebook series… so it’s your risk… maybe it will work nice…but maybe you will get some problems…
Moravo

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 19:55   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

I don't think the TDP dissipation is the major problem. If i look Core 2 Duo on Socket M, their TDP increase for only 3 W in comparison with Yonah CPU (T2300). It's not so dramatic, in knowing the usage of my laptop (i don't use it for gaming), it doesn't run at full speed for long period.

So, if anyone have successfully did this operation, please report me here, before i'm launching in poker-like situation :^0
thethingy

Posted: 16-Oct-2011 06:34   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo
Helpful
@Moravo,

The bios is not whitlisted at all for cpu's or wi-fi cards.

Core 2 duo's do work with no problem at all, the t5600 is the fastest processor you can buy for under £30 but you can put in the t7200/400/600 in also but these are more expensive as they get used in mac's.

Visualization in the bios might be locked but if you google "bios unlocking" you will find where to get that fixed.

Basically if you have a Celleron installed you will notice immediately that the laptop is much cooler and quieter with a core 2 and its well worth doing.
Moravo

Posted: 17-May-2012 19:13   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo

Hi everyone,

it's just to say i successfully change my CPU for a Core 2 Duo T7200 Socket M, bought on eBay, for 60 € (~ 76$ or 48£). No problem at all, it is stable, it's a little warmer at idle and sometimes the fan speeds up a little but this is not annoying. At full speed, it is cooler than the previous CPU.

So i recommend for those who do some soul-searching !

Thanks for those who help me.
Moravo

Posted: 17-May-2012 19:14   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo

OK, changed CPU, all is right.
Macius

Posted: 17-May-2012 19:33   in response to: Moravo in response to: Moravo

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts