Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite C650D - Factory settings and recovery disk different?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Oct-2011 16:52 Last Post By: PauPau
Lightsaber

Satellite C650D - Factory settings and recovery disk different?
Posted: 23-Sep-2011 11:09

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi - have had problems with Satellite C650D model for some months - very slow, lots of viruses, constantly crashing, constant updates, constant "windows could not log on" and "windows is trying to repair your system" problems. I have reinstalled the factory settings for the laptop several times, but the problems keep occurring - should I purchase a recovery disc - is this different to the installed Recovery system?? Thanks
Barrie

Re: Satellite C650D - Factory settings and recovery disk different?
Posted: 23-Sep-2011 12:57   in response to: Lightsaber in response to: Lightsaber

I have reinstalled the factory settings for the laptop several times, but the problems keep occurring - should I purchase a recovery disc >- is this different to the installed Recovery system?
Recovery DVD contains the same recovery image as image saved on HDD so there is no difference.

To be honest I don’t understand what the problem can be.
Can you please tell us what have you done exactly (reinstalled the factory settings)? I mean how have you done this?
C3PO

Posted: 23-Sep-2011 13:00   in response to: Lightsaber in response to: Lightsaber

Hello

So at the moment you have used the HDD recovery option to restore factory (out of box) settings or a normal Windows 7 disk?

Usually HDD recovery and recovery disk do the same. Both restore original settings (same settings after you purchased the notebook) but recovery disk wipes the whole HDD and recovery installation from HDD only first partition. So if you have viruses on second partition they will not be deleted and you should use the recovery disk.

By the way: If original Windows is still installed just recovery media creator. You can create recovery disk yourself ;)
Lightsaber

Posted: 23-Sep-2011 13:03   in response to: Barrie in response to: Barrie

I've followed the HDD recovery instructions. Basically the laptop keeps saying that "it is trying to be repaired" but nothing gets done - it's constantly coming up with this error message. Also, I have installed microsoft security essentials but I constantly get messages stating that I have harmful viruses trying to obtain personal information. Is that what you needed to know?
Lightsaber

Posted: 23-Sep-2011 13:04   in response to: C3PO in response to: C3PO

Hi C3PO - thanks for that info - so basically I should purchase a recovery disk and try that??
C3PO

Posted: 23-Sep-2011 13:22   in response to: Lightsaber in response to: Lightsaber

Hello

If HDD recovery doesn’t work properly you need Toshiba recovery disk, right.

You can order it here:
https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
Lightsaber

Posted: 23-Sep-2011 14:09   in response to: C3PO in response to: C3PO

That's great - thanks for that - can I just clarify - the recovery I have done through the HDD process installed on the laptop will only have recovered the 1st part and viruses etc will still invade the system so the recovery disk I purchase will wipe the whole machine to original factory settings and I can start again properly, as this disk is more "thorough"??
markfoz1

Posted: 06-Oct-2011 10:23   in response to: C3PO in response to: C3PO

Whilst on this subject Maybe you could help me.
My Satellite C650D developed a perceived fault (Windows later retracted the fault) which somehow wiped not only my Google Chrome but on checking I found My HDD recovery Utility has gone. I want to restore my system. Is it possible for me to get the HDD recovery utility from someone via a zip file/email to reinstall it or will I have to send off for recovery discs .Many Thanks
PauPau

Posted: 11-Oct-2011 16:52   in response to: markfoz1 in response to: markfoz1

@markfoz1
Is it possible for me to get the HDD recovery utility from someone via a zip file/email to reinstall it or will I have to send off for recovery discs .Many Thanks

The HDD recovery files are placed on the second partition but it will not help you to copy these files only.
If the HDD recovery does not work and if you did create the Recovery disk in the past, then you could order as posted above by C3PO
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved