Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite Pro P100-327 (PSPA4E) - No Sound Following Win 7 Clean Install
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Nov-2011 14:06 Last Post By: Martyn_Budgie
Martyn_Budgie

Satellite Pro P100-327 (PSPA4E) - No Sound Following Win 7 Clean Install
Posted: 21-Sep-2011 23:15

Hello,

I have just clean installed Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit) on a Satellite Pro P100-327 (PSPA4E) which was purchased in November 2006. It was previously running XP. I never installed Vista though the laptop is badged Vista Capable.

I followed the recommended Win 7 bios/driver/software install order but I now have no sound at all. Everything that I have tried so far has failed to fix it.

The laptop has a Conexant based audio solution with harman kardon speakers. Win 7 has installed the following driver which reports the following info.

High Definition Audio Device (Microsoft Driver version 6.1.7601.17514 dated 11/19/2010) and Device status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Hardware IDs:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5047&SUBSYS_1179FF31&REV_1000 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5047&SUBSYS_1179FF31

There is a second exclamation mark in Device Manager for a further unknown device / uninstalled driver (showing code 28) for a device with a Hardware ID of ACPI\SMCB000 but I do not know what this device is!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix for my sound issue?

Thanks!

Martyn
michelsmith

Re: Satellite Pro P100-327 (PSPA4E) - No Sound Following Win 7 Clean Install
Posted: 26-Sep-2011 13:40   in response to: Martyn_Budgie in response to: Martyn_Budgie

Hi,

Uninstall audio drivers completely and then install the driver that is working.

1. Click Start,type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then pressENTER.

2. In the Device Manager dialog box, expandSound, video, and game controllers.

3. Locate the audio device that was included with the computer.

3. Right-click the device, and then clickProperties.

4. Click theDriver tab, and then click Uninstall.

5. Place a check mark next to"Delete the Driver Software for this device" check box, and then click OK.

6. Install the driver that is working.

7. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps

Martyn_Budgie

Posted: 26-Sep-2011 14:43   in response to: michelsmith in response to: michelsmith

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried your approach probably 20 times or more with around 8 different drivers. Unfortunatley none have fixed the issue.

I guess that I have not located a working / compatible x64 driver!

Perhaps there isn't one??
Perhaps the on board Conexant HD Audio is the issue!!
On www.conexant.com they say that the manufacturers have TOLD them NOT to make drivers available to poor unfortunate users!!!

Toshiba need to help their loyal customers.
I own 4 Satellite Pro laptops.

Ditto Microsoft - the Upgrade Advisor gave the all clear for this system.

The experience of other laptop owners, both Toshiba and others brands, would suggest that the Upgrade Advisor is flawed and the upgrade from XP somewhat hit and miss.

I can be reached by any Toshiba or Microsoft technical support guys looking to make a difference.

Anyone else been successful fixing this issue?

Regards

Martyn
PauPau

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 14:03   in response to: Martyn_Budgie in response to: Martyn_Budgie

ACPI\SMCB000 could be the infrared device.
Possibly its needed in order to be able to use the remote control.

I also looked for the VEN_14F1 and DEV_5047
It seems to be HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modm with SmartCP from Conexant
http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=5047

I checked the Toshiba US driver page for Win 7 drivers for similar notebooks Sat P105-xxxx and found the driver there:

Drivers from Toshiba US page
Martyn_Budgie

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 17:59   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Thanks for that PauPau.

Unfortunately your suggestion - Conexant Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32/64) v4.8.0.0
driver_audio_conexant_TC70036400A.exe is one of the drivers that I have tried previously.

A good choice as it is supposed to work across numerous models incuding P100, P105 etc. but I'm afraid it does not install correctly / fix the issue.

Any other ideas gratefully received!!

Cheers

Martyn
PauPau

Posted: 27-Sep-2011 18:33   in response to: Martyn_Budgie in response to: Martyn_Budgie

That strange because it should work.
I recommend you to update this is device manager.

go to device manager
choose sound, audio controller
choose option “update driver”
lets automatically search for the right driver.

You can also try to delete the Sound controller and reboot the unit.
After that the notebook should recognize the driver automatically.

Did you update the Win 7 to the latest state? Are all patches installed?
Check this!

By the way; be sure that sound is not muted!
Martyn_Budgie

Posted: 29-Sep-2011 23:22   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Yes PauPau I guess it should. Unfortunately it dosen't. Tried every which way to try and make this work including running HUFSetup.exe directly with various settings. All in vain!!! ?:|

Windows 7 x64 is a clean install and fully patched to SP1.

I will check that the sound is not muted - just in case!!!

Any other thoughts gratefully received!

Cheers

Martyn
Tonny

Posted: 04-Oct-2011 15:30   in response to: Martyn_Budgie in response to: Martyn_Budgie

Don’t think the sound is muted.

If the device manager contains the yellow exclamation mark, then this would mean that the driver is not installed properly. But it’s really strange that the driver cannot be installed.

The driver provided by PauPau is Win 7 32bit and 64bit compatible so it cannot be a 64bit issue.

Maybe you should try this driver on fresh installed Win 7… sorry but at this time I have no other idea to solve this.
Martyn_Budgie

Posted: 04-Oct-2011 23:49   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

If only it were Tonny!!

I agree but this is a fresh install albeit one which has had several sound driver install attempts. I have also tried going back to an earlier restore point but no luck.

Perhaps it is Windows 7 driver protection (or whatever it is called) is hampering attempts to make a change?

Arrgggh!
Akuma

Posted: 05-Oct-2011 02:01   in response to: Martyn_Budgie in response to: Martyn_Budgie

Have you tried installing the original XP Audio Driver from the PSPA4E drivers page rather than using Windows 7 drivers?

Maybe the sound card is one of those "Designed for XP" sound cards that only work with XP Drivers.
Martyn_Budgie

Posted: 05-Oct-2011 21:54   in response to: Akuma in response to: Akuma

Akuma - I have not tried installing the XP driver. How is that best done and are there any likely issues doing so?
Akuma

Posted: 05-Oct-2011 23:18   in response to: Martyn_Budgie in response to: Martyn_Budgie

I believe the Win7 drivers available for the P100 are for the P100's that were shipped with Vista and not compatible with the earlier P100's that shipped with XP.

So installing the XP driver may be the only solution, and may work perfectly fine.

Uninstall any existing audio drivers then install http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/sound-20071106151533.zip
Martyn_Budgie

Posted: 05-Nov-2011 11:40   in response to: Akuma in response to: Akuma

Feedback to Toshiba (and other users).

I have spent a long time on this issue and have reinstalled Win 7 several times trying x32 and x64 versions.

I could only get the Vista driver v3.18.0.51-1205 to work
I tried every driver I could find on the UK, USA and Canada support sites - quite a number.

This driver installs and works for Win 7 x32 and x64 BUT only provides basic 16 bit 48000 Hz DVD audio and NOT the full HD audio functionality / features that existed on XP. Volume output is also reduced.

I now realise that a lack of support by OEMs and their Conexant for the onboard HD audio capability is the root cause.

OK this is an older laptop model but clearly this could be resolved by Toshiba for little cost if they chose to do so.

I personally own 4 high spec Satellite Pro laptops. Will I buy another?

I was also part of the UK's Government Home Access project team which probably resulted in around 175,000-200,000 new Toshiba laptops being purchased using grant funding.
I wonder if these owners will have a similar poor customer experience?

Regards

Martyn
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved