Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Ubuntu 10.04 Toshiba NB550D Bluetooth and Mic not working
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Sep-2011 07:54 Last Post By: MannerhagenVPO Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ftravers

Ubuntu 10.04 Toshiba NB550D Bluetooth and Mic not working
Posted: 12-Sep-2011 07:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on the Toshiba NB550D. I love it. I've upgraded to 4GB of RAM though...1GB seemed crazy for me...and I'm a power user...though not a gamer. The notebook has replaced my work computer. I plug into my 24" LCD at work and get nice HD resolutions.

My only frustration at this point is that the mic and the bluetooth both don't seem to be working. Before someone tells me that Toshiba doesn't support linux on this hardware...I know. However, has anyone got this working themselves? I'd love to hear from your experience.

Thx,

Fenton
MannerhagenVPO

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Toshiba NB550D Bluetooth and Mic not working
Posted: 14-Sep-2011 21:44   in response to: ftravers in response to: ftravers

Hi Fenton

Concerning the Bluetooth - I think the NB550D uses an Atheros combo-card with both WLAN and Bluetooth. Am I right?
If so, there seems to be general problem getting the BT to work properly, wireless works well though.
I have filed a bug to Fedora Bugzilla concerning this issue on an R830 - uses the same module I think.
Link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=734369

Concerning the mic - basics first:

• did you check the sound input settings and turn up the recording level?
  • did you try an external mic? You can for testing purposes use a headset / earphones as a MIC since they work exactly the same. You may have to shout to get any input however :)

If the external MIC works you may want to try booting the unit on 11.04 or maybe even any pre-release of 11.10.
This to see if the MIC-issue is resolved.
If so, I believe some googling will supply you with a solution!

Anyway, let us know your findings so we can help you along.

Cheers

Tom
MannerhagenVPO

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Toshiba NB550D Bluetooth and Mic not working
Posted: 21-Sep-2011 07:54   in response to: ftravers in response to: ftravers

Hi again

I just want to mention that the current state of Fedora 16 Alpha has made the bluetooth work.
The Bluetooth manager is still buggy but I expect the developers to fix this shortly.

So mayhap the Ubuntu 11.10 will give You a working Bluetooth module if You test it.
In case You don't like Unity as desktop manager, maybe You want to give Mint a try as it is closely related to Ubuntu but uses Gnome 2.X as desktop manager.

Let me know in case You have more questions.

Cheers!

Tom
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved