Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to access BIOS settings on my Satellite 5205?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Sep-2005 02:58 Last Post By: sal323i
sal323i

How to access BIOS settings on my Satellite 5205?
Posted: 30-Aug-2005 22:05

Hi,

I have a satellite 5205/s703 series notebook. How do I access the bios settings? When I power on I get the 'welcome to toshiba' screen. Is there some keys I press during the boot process? On my other laptop I usually have to press the 'DEL' or 'F2' key.

I would appreciate the help as my laptop touchpad and, when connected, external mouse freezes during normal operation. Sometimes I can navigate with the alt & tab keys, other times everything locks up. Also I get error messages saying 'device connected to usb port not recognised' although there is no devices attached to my laptop. I've tried connecting an external mouse to see if this resolves the touchpad issue but the mouse also freezes.

I need to check the bios settings so help on accessing the bios would be really appreciated!

Thanks all!
Daniel9

Re: How to access BIOS settings on my Satellite 5205?
Posted: 31-Aug-2005 22:02   in response to: sal323i in response to: sal323i

Hi,

I think you have to press Esc on startup to get into BIOS.

Bye
NickyNoogle

Posted: 01-Sep-2005 14:29   in response to: sal323i in response to: sal323i

Hi,

The keys to use will depend on the age of the notebook and also which BIOS manufacturer you have.

Usually pressing ESC will show the BIOS progress during the boot phase.

Pressing F2 will usually take you to the BIOS Setup menu, and pressing F8 will take you to the 'Start-up Mode' menu (where you can select SAFE etc.), and finally F12 will give you the 'Boot Device' selection menu from where you can select Hdd, CD-Rom, etc as the boot device.

HTH
sal323i

Posted: 02-Sep-2005 02:58   in response to: NickyNoogle in response to: NickyNoogle

Just found out that the satellite 5205 notebooks are "legacy-free" models, and they do not incorporate a BIOS Setup program in the motherboard ROM!!! What, no bios setup?!

The only way to run BIOS Setup is using a Windows-based BIOS Setup utility called HWSetup. The HWSetup utility comes preinstalled on these Toshiba models, and it is also contained in the Toshiba Utilities package for these models, which can be downloaded from the Toshiba support Web site. HWSetup provides a graphical front end for modifying BIOS settings and the only way to access it is from within windows! Also, the HWSetup utility is very severely limited in what you can do.
So no amount of hitting the 'esc' and 'F2' or even the 'del' key is any use at all and will get you no where!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved