Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Qosmio X770 - Nvidia drivers and Toshiba
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 69 - Pages: 5 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 17-Nov-2012 16:38 Last Post By: screenworker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
blob

Re: Qosmio X770 - Nvidia drivers and Toshiba
Posted: 09-Sep-2011 12:46   in response to: soring in response to: soring

Click to reply to this thread Reply
let me rephrase:

during the bios setup, some of the systems feature are reset or something - like the fan controller - and during this setup, i could hear the fan working on its full output, or at least a level ive never heard it operate on before, even in the most demanding in-game situations, when most of the overheats occur

after the installation of course, everything went back to normal and while gaming the fan noise is noticable but it clearly is not the speed which had been observerd while installing bios

bios works fine, too bad there are no release notes on what it actually does

and what is up with this site, has been lagging for days now, feel like im using a 33.6k modem here when on toshibas website
soring

Posted: 10-Sep-2011 07:31   in response to: blob in response to: blob

noticed that as well - it's like 15 years ago, dial-up :P

for some reason some posts are put after few days =)) thought that there is an error posting or maybe monitored or whatever :P
sorry about that, might be the same content several times

I'm stuck with this notebook. Can't return it just because of the drivers. They say that this is not a solid excuse to return the laptop!!! I say: ok, but provide some good drivers!!! - they say it's not their business =))
blob

Posted: 10-Sep-2011 14:46   in response to: soring in response to: soring

the delay between posting and actual appearance of your post on the forum may be because of this forum being moderated, meaning every post gets accepted before it can go public

im not so keen on returning my laptop yet, i just want them to start caring about their clients
im pretty sure the fact that you are unable to keep your laptop up to date is a pretty good reason to returnt it, you just have to step up your game to another level - get a lawyer

i want some facts from toshiba before i go berserk, i need either a statement or some drivers
if by the end of september there neither of tehse will be available i will take actions as well

good luck with your gaming laptop
Knorp

Posted: 11-Sep-2011 12:01   in response to: blob in response to: blob

Hello guys! I was out for few days!
As soring said no way to return it woth nomatterwhat guarantee.... seems like we are stuck to wait for update or just sell it to someone how does not care about this with a big discount.

Hopefully there will be some progress with Nvidia. There are some requests for gtx 560M driver updates so I ask you again to visit their forum or support page and deliver them your graphic card Hardware ID so they could include it in their next driver release.

Write to you soon with hopefully some good news!
Knorp

Posted: 11-Sep-2011 15:24   in response to: blob in response to: blob

BIOS release notes:

Release Notes

For CD-ROM BIOS updates: Type BIOS then press enter at the C:\ prompt.
For all updates: After the update completes, the computer will automatically shut down or restart.
Power on the computer if it is off.
While the "Toshiba" LOGO is displayed, press the F2 function key to start BIOS Setup.
Check the version of BIOS and press the F9 function key then Enter to load setup defaults.
Press the F10 function key then Enter to save settings and exit. The computer will automatically reboot.

Change History

Version 1.30 - 2011-08-08
Added an Intel update solution for the "PCIe Presence Detect State May Not Be Accurate after a Warm Reset" issue.
Updated: CPU Microcode to Rev 0x1A.
Version 1.20 - 2011-06-10
Fixed: Noise when the eco or illumination on/off buttons are pressed.
Added code to notify NVIDIA VGA to change P-State when EC issued VGA protection function.
Updated N12E-GS VBIOS V70.26.2F.00.02 for support Samsung old die VRAM.
Version 1.10 - 2011-05-20
Initial production BIOS for this model.
soring

Posted: 12-Sep-2011 08:43   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

as I stated already, nomatterwhat does not cover this kind of situation, because is a technical one - you have to throw it on the window or spoil some coffee on it - but they already know that we are willing to return it :<
when you read the conditions, it is not so easy as the commercial describes - they will have to analyze the situation, to figure out that indeed your computer is not intentionally messed up and so on, and it's taking a while... for your info, I have some intel from inside, in the latest years in my country only 5 (FIVE) notebooks were approved for refund!

on the other hand, from the technical point of view, the say that no-so-updated driver is not a solid reason to return the computer, as it should be known and somehow by-default agreed when you buy it is already assumed that the Toshiba drivers are not keeping up the nVidia updates. NO COMMENT.
Knorp

Posted: 20-Sep-2011 00:03   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

Hello guys!

This is what I stumbled across:
nvidia drivers link=win7x64]
These are filtered links for drivers compatible with our DEV ID and Windows 7 64bit.

You can filter drivers that suit your needs.

Please report if you test some driver so we all know what to try or not to try to install.

Cheers!
Faceless

Posted: 20-Sep-2011 04:53   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

Worked fine for me.
Just load the latest version compatible with the qosmio x770
here -->http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x64/280.26/disclaimer
(both files)
then:
1.extract the first file to a random folder (create one on your desktop)
2.copy the second downloaded file into the "display driver" - folder in the one on your desktop ..replace the existing file..
3.use the setup.exe (again in the folder on your desktop) and just follow the instructions

glad things finally worked out ..at least for now
thanks to knorp
Knorp

Posted: 21-Sep-2011 03:54   in response to: Faceless in response to: Faceless

Ok , so this is what I did.

Installed latest 285.27 beta version without their INF file.
I used EVGA precision and put the GPU core clock to 675(linked with shaders) as Juju said in the other post.
I played Dead Island with no freezeing and lags like before.

So it works. Underclocking and new drivers seems to work for now!

Awaiting for new Nvidia drivers WHQL version.

Cheers!
Bojan_1

Posted: 24-Sep-2011 22:52   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

Hey guys!

Here is one more "happy" Qosmio owner. After spending 2000EUR, I was expecting a driver support with my "gaming laptop". So naive...
I was loosing my mind last couple of weeks why Witcher 2 is running with 10FPS on Low settings! Well who needs Witcher cause I can play tetris 3D right? Man...

Well, anyway good job Toshiba and thank you for caring for Us, your customers ! Great driver policy!
Knorp

Posted: 25-Sep-2011 10:09   in response to: Bojan_1 in response to: Bojan_1

Hi Bojan,

Welcome to the "Happy" Qosmio Owners Club!!! As you can see we all are waiting for supported drivers.
In a meantime if you are impatient and don't understand/believe that Toshiba support is really working on this :P
you can try some of the above mentioned workarounds just to be able to play something with your new "gaming" notebook.

Zajebali nas jednom i nikad više! Never again Toshiba notebooks for me in the future at least not the "gaming" ones.
blob

Posted: 25-Sep-2011 14:22   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

I installed the 285 drivers, disabled the 3d thing and firefox is ok now, and im actually quite happy with gaming as well after underclocking 100mhz. too bad toshiba couldnt figure this out.

for example i am now able to play bad company 2 on medium @ 60-70 fps which is pretty awesome, no framedrops or overheating yay !
Bojan_1

Posted: 25-Sep-2011 19:59   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

Hey Knorp!

Hvala na dobrodošlici :-)

I guess I will have to try install new drivers using your workaround, I don't see any other way. Is there any word from Toshiba, any hint when we could expect new drivers?
Anyway, I am semi-noob regarding drivers so I might ask you step-by-step installation of those substitute drivers. I don't know should I replace and what to the with that ini file.
Also does it work well for you? Have you experienced any negative sides? Are all functionalities of Nvidia control panel or in general same?

As in your case, Toshiba laptops are big NO for me in the future. Ovo je vrhunski zajeb...

Be cool!
Knorp

Posted: 25-Sep-2011 21:15   in response to: Bojan_1 in response to: Bojan_1

Well let's start with this:
Keep checking this link for official updates, it is more likely they will put updates here first, before EU support pages.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?modelFilter=X770-ST4N04&rpn=PSBY5U&category=&selCategory=2756709&moid=3039260&os=&ct=DL&selFamily=804517

OK, now I will just describe what I did. Later I will mention what has changed.

Download new BETA drivers from Nvidia or that laptopvideo2go site.
I did not use their modified INI file. Just start installation and when asked choose CUSTOM setup.
Now you may choose which components to update I chose all and I didn't do "clean" install, I left that last option checked.

Next thing is download EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner. These programs are for clocking GPU cards.
You will have to underclock your GPU if you have freezing and lagging in games.
I undeclocked core clock to 675 as Juju said in some post. Don't forget to click APPY when changing setting in program.
I have to say I also use cooling pad CoolerMaster Storm SF-19 and I turn it all the way up when playing a game. And I did BIOS update. Also I mainly use external monitor.

Things that are changed.
Eco mode button does not work. You can still change power consumption settings through control panel.
3D mode if it is enabled it is always turned on when game is started. You can turn it off by pressing 3D button on your notebook.
Occasional blue screen occurs.

I might forgot to mention something but I will edit if I remember later or discover another glitch.
Bojan_1

Posted: 25-Sep-2011 21:53   in response to: Knorp in response to: Knorp

Well this is interesting, so basically you didn't uninstall all three drivers (graphic, 3D vision and controller) previously before putting new ones? cool! If I understood correctly in new versions, nvidia bundles all three in one major GPU installation?

I am still bit concern about underclocking core and how much will that lower performence of graphic card...You know, its a new laptop and I hate to poke with that kind of stuff, but....

Anyway, thank you Knorp for all the help. I really appreciate it!

P.S. And I also buy brand new Zalman cooler, its a must for gaming on laptops
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved