Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L655 - No bootable device
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Aug-2011 22:28 Last Post By: MzytengaM
pgi86

Satellite L655 - No bootable device
Posted: 24-Aug-2011 18:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Earlier today I bought a brand new Satellite L655-1DM. It didn't have an OS so I wanted to install a Windows 7. However, as I start the laptop after the initial Toshiba screen I get the following:

Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

Granted, I'm a complete laptop newbie as this is the first laptop I've ever purchased, but am I doing something wrong? I put the Windows 7 DVD in, start the laptop and I get this message. Is there something else I should be doing or some sort of setting I should change in order for this to work? I did a google search for a solution but couldn't find one. Can anyone help me?
Syntax

Re: Satellite L655 - No bootable device
Posted: 24-Aug-2011 20:19   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

Hey,

This is usually only related to a wrong boot order.

If you start your notebook go into BIOS boot menu. Therefore press F12 key. Now insert the Windows 7 disk and then select CD/DVD drive as boot device. Now the computer will start with Windows installation so follow the screen instructions.

Check this!!!
pgi86

Posted: 24-Aug-2011 20:40   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

First of all, thank you for answering.

Unfortunately, that didn't solve my issue. I selected CD/DVD in the boot menu and then pressed enter but I got the same "No bootable device" message again.
Syntax

Posted: 24-Aug-2011 20:55   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

Hey,

Ok, so have you already tested another disk?

Usually it should always be possible to boot from CD/DVD expect the disk is scratched or something else. So test another bootable disk.

Is the HDD and CD/DVD drive recognized in BIOS properly?
pgi86

Posted: 24-Aug-2011 21:04   in response to: Syntax in response to: Syntax

Yes, I tried with another disk. Same result. Plus, both disks work fine on my personal computer.

Yes, both the HDD and the CD/DVD are recognized in BIOS:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1570/unledqj.jpg
Silas

Posted: 25-Aug-2011 12:18   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

Set BIOS to default settings and restart notebook. When the notebook starts again press F12 several times to enter boot menu.
Can you see CD/DVD driver there?
Put bootable disc into optical disc drive, choose CD/DVD drive in the menu and press ENTER.

Please let us know what happen exactly?
PinkPanther

Posted: 25-Aug-2011 12:39   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

Hi buddy,

Yes, both the HDD and the CD/DVD are recognized in BIOS:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1570/unledqj.jpg

That’s a useful picture. Good idea! :)

Regarding your problem: Set BIOS to default settings and test it again as Silas wrote. Go into BIOS setup and load the default settings. As far as I know you can this with F9 in BIOS setup too.

If CD/DVD drive and HDD are recognized properly it must be possible to boot from a disk.
pgi86

Posted: 25-Aug-2011 13:16   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

Silas, I tried what you're suggesting (setting the BIOS to default settings) and entering the boot menu. The CD/DVD was just one of the few things listed there but the exact model wasn't listed on the right (like it is in the photo I posted above). I'm not sure if the model is supposed to be listed in the boot menu or not but I thought I'd point out that it wasn't.
I got the same result ("No bootable device") after I put in the Windows disk and pressed Enter.

Anyway, thank you very much for the replies guys but after hours of googling and asking people online for possible solutions I finally gave up on trying to fix the issue myself and decided to leave it to the professionals. I'm just coming back from the store where I bought the laptop. I left it with their technicians and they are looking into the problem as I write this. Hopefully soon everything should be fixed and ready to go. Still though, I'm very curious to find out what the issue was to begin with. We'll see.
PinkPanther

Posted: 25-Aug-2011 15:22   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

and decided to leave it to the professionals.
Good idea and I’m sure they will solve it for you :)
MzytengaM

Posted: 28-Aug-2011 22:27   in response to: pgi86 in response to: pgi86

simple ,,,,,when u restart laptop push f2 and find i think in advanced setings in bios setings to SATA HDD,,,just change it to compatibilty mode and ur problem fix !!

this is cus u ur instalator with windows cant see ur hhd drives,,,so jsut change it

Message was edited by: MzytengaM
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved