Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 25-Aug-2011 14:41 Last Post By: PinkPanther
iggy77

Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
Posted: 24-Aug-2011 06:20

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I am thinking to upgrade the hard disk of my Satellite P750-02Q, but I don't know what SATA type it is (SATA I or SATA II or SATA III), and how many disk can it support? I am thinking to slot in a SSD disk in there, but if it can support 2 SATA disks, I can use the existing 750GB 5400rpm drive as the second storage.

Appreciate your thoughts/answers.

Thanks in advance!
assex

Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
Posted: 24-Aug-2011 07:56   in response to: iggy77 in response to: iggy77

Remove HDD cover and built-in HDD. On the HDD label you can find all these info. Buy the same HDD but with more capacity.
I have older P500 and cannot say for sure if your P750 can be upgraded with second HDD. If yes there must be HDD cover for second HDD. Remove it and check if the HDD connector is available.
peterk_1

Posted: 24-Aug-2011 12:13   in response to: iggy77 in response to: iggy77
Helpful
Assuming you have two drive bays then you will have to locate (or make) a caddy and securing screws. The P500 2nd drive bay is deeper (takes 1Tb drives) than the one populated by Toshiba and requires a dedicated caddy. I would guess your drive will be SATA 2 (AKA SATA 300). It will be a toshiba drive so get the model number from Device Manager and search here http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/ (there are several Toshiba storage sites so google if you can't find it there. I don't know how to establish the laptops maximum SATA speed and I would buy any make of SATA 2 drive balancing capacity against cost. I'm currently running 750Gb Samsung and 500Gb Toshiba. The Samsung replaced the orignal Toshiba 500Gb boot disc that at 20 months turned into a brick that at best was recognised as a storage device of an unknown type/capacity
PinkPanther

Posted: 24-Aug-2011 12:33   in response to: iggy77 in response to: iggy77

Hi buddy,

Generally speaking it makes no difference if you buy SATA I, SATA II or SATA III. The physical interface is always the same, only the transfer speed is different (SATA III is best one) but that’s not important for normal HDDs because they are too slow. Only SSD drives can use the fast SATA III interface but they also run on SATA II or I interface.

So don’t worry. Just make sure it’s 2.5” drive with SATA interface. ;)
iggy77

Posted: 25-Aug-2011 14:04   in response to: iggy77 in response to: iggy77

Thanks everyone or your reply, all very helpful. Just for everyone's benefit, the HDD model number is MK7575GSX. Didn't really find it on that Toshiba storage site and haven't really done further research, but I'm just going to get the SATA II SSD anyway cause they are backward compatible as PinkPhanter said :)

Oh and the P750 only supports 1 HDD :( My older A300 supports 2, chose the wrong notebook, oh well, at least this is now much faster hehehe

Message was edited by: iggy77
PinkPanther

Posted: 25-Aug-2011 14:41   in response to: iggy77 in response to: iggy77

Great and thank you for feedback!

If you need more storage you can buy an external HDD and connect it to fast eSATA port. That’s really great :)
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved