Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite C660 - No Internet connection after BIOS update
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Aug-2011 19:49 Last Post By: Maddy
Maddy

Satellite C660 - No Internet connection after BIOS update
Posted: 01-Aug-2011 15:56

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am a novice user, and have a Satellite C660 under warranty I only use to surf net and Ebay so I hope I can explain my problem!

The Toshiba bulletin board said that the BIOS needed updating so I followed instructions but since then I have no internet connection and cannot restore connection as I have lost all Toshiba help, Bulletin board now lost and none of the programmes to sort out problems will work - e.g.set up wizards etc. I have not created any rescue disks yet but if I try to create them now will I be able to restore to factory settings?

Can anyone tell me if it is a fault caused by the BIOS update or should I return laptop to John Lewis for repair? Many thanks for reading this
PinkPanther

Re: Satellite C660 - No Internet connection after BIOS update
Posted: 01-Aug-2011 19:00   in response to: Maddy in response to: Maddy
Helpful
Hi buddy,

Did you load the default settings in BIOS after update? If not go into BIOS and load the default settings. You can enter the BIOS if you press F2 key before Windows start and then press F9 key to load the default values. Then save & exit BIOS setup.

Can you access the Internet now?
Do you try to access the Internet with WLAN or LAN connection?

Also check the device manager if all devices are recognized properly.

I have not created any rescue disks yet but if I try to create them now will I be able to restore to factory settings?
You can create the Toshiba recovery disk everytime. Just start the preinstalled Toshiba recovery media creator and follow the screen instructions. You need just some blank DVDs to create the disks. The disks contain an image of factory settings that can be restored everytime and how often you want so with these disk you are on the safely side ;)
Maddy

Posted: 02-Aug-2011 12:40   in response to: PinkPanther in response to: PinkPanther

Hi Pinkpanther
Thanks for taking time to assist but still no joy and my ignorance about PCs not helping!
I reset default in BIOS as you said but no improvement as still no internet and no wizards working to find problem I went into Device Manager but dont know what to look at?
Also unable to create rescue disks as message about an error appeared and had to abort * E:\ZZImg\1293SXSP2.swm (error code 020150-20-00000000)*
PC is wireless on Virgin Media
MasterG

Posted: 02-Aug-2011 12:47   in response to: Maddy in response to: Maddy
Helpful
I reset default in BIOS as you said but no improvement as still no internet and no wizards working to find problem I went into Device Manager but dont know what to look at?

In device manager under Network Adapters you will find the WLan and LAN card (Ethernet controllers)
Please update the drivers for both cards;
Wlan driver can be found here:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/
LAN driver can be downloaded on Toshiba European driver page in your notebook series download section.

Note; If you use WLan to connect to internet you have to ensure that Wlan is enabled!!
Fn + F8 enables the Wlan… you should also read the user manual to get some basic information about your notebook because it looks like you are not familiar with that…
Syntax

Posted: 02-Aug-2011 13:43   in response to: Maddy in response to: Maddy

Hey,

PC is wireless on Virgin Media
So if you use WLAN connection what happens if you press FN+F8 key combination? With this key combination you can enable/disable WLAN connection.

Otherwise follow the instructions posted by MasterG and update the WLAN driver.

If you are not familiar with such things you should ask a friend who knows a little bit more about computer stuff. Maybe your friend can explain some basic things ;)
Maddy

Posted: 02-Aug-2011 17:26   in response to: Syntax in response to: Syntax

Thanks everyone
Seems I am a total non PC but have managed to follow all instructions you have kindly offered and to date -

The wlan is already switched on and Device manager says network adaptors are working properly
I downloaded driver updates but I remembered that I had done these updates just a short while ago and I was correct cos they were already up to date
I still cannot get past the fact that since the BIOS update everything just stopped working - even the Toshiba users manual wont open directly from desktop - some message about a launcher not working flashed on screen for a second In fact every Toshiba 'programme' such as Tempro, reeltime and Bulletin board wont open
None of Windows network diagnostics work - error messages appear and say that troubleshooting wizard can't continue so no way to find out what problem is
My last hope seems to try to restore to factory state from harddisk by pressing F8 but if there is already an error that stops me creating a rescue disk will I do any more damage?

I think I am going to have to find the box and throw myself on the mercy of John Lewis computer dept if that is not an option
(By the way I am using a 10 year old VGN PC which has never ever let me down to get try to get help for this fairly new and hardly used Toshiba Satellite)
Xardas

Posted: 04-Aug-2011 11:02   in response to: Maddy in response to: Maddy

Hi Maddy,

My last hope seems to try to restore to factory state
I think it’s the best what you can do.

The exact HDD recovery process is described here:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD1303440001R01.htm

but if there is already an error that stops me creating a rescue disk will I do any more damage?
Don’t ask, try it!!!
What you should damage if you still have problems at the moment?
Fact is if you can’t create the recovery disk your last hope is HDD recovery installation. Theoretically it could work properly after HDD recovery installation you probably able to create the recovery disk too.

In worst case if something goes wrong order a recovery disk from Toshiba:
https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
Maddy

Posted: 07-Aug-2011 19:49   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Thanks for help
I eventually decided to restore to factory settings from hard drive and managed to do so fairly easily but still unable to create a rescue disk as I get same error message that prevented me doing so at beginning so I think I must contact Toshiba help desk to find out what and why the error message means No sooner got up and running but got infected by rogue antispyware but think I have sorted that by changing date to a week ahead
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved