Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert - do i need it if i have my laptop working on a desk?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-Aug-2011 17:52 Last Post By: Edgarke16
Edgarke16

TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert - do i need it if i have my laptop working on a desk?
Posted: 30-Jul-2011 08:39

Hello everyone, i guess my question isn't about the HDD or hardware itself, its about the load or the cpu usage of the hdd alert process in my laptop. Does it gives any significant load to my memory?
Has anyone notice your laptop to be a little slower when this is enabled?
I know this is protection for my HDD, i understand that if a the time that my laptop falls or gets hit, the hard disk is going to fail and my hdd gets damaged.
But how usefull this application is if i have my laptop working on a desk all the time with no danger?

Do you recommend to switch it off?
xaver

Re: TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert - do i need it if i have my laptop working on a desk?
Posted: 30-Jul-2011 09:55   in response to: Edgarke16 in response to: Edgarke16

Generally speaking function of the TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert is to monitor the HDD operating status and execute system backup. It is very useful tool but definitely not so much important that must run all the time. It runs in the background, doesn't use so much resources and actually there is no reason to stop it, only if you want to.

What to recommend you?
In my opinion you should leave it running. I have Satellite P500 and it runs all the time. I didn’t stop it and I didn’t notice some bad/slower notebook performance because of it.
Edgarke16

Posted: 01-Aug-2011 07:13   in response to: xaver in response to: xaver

Thank you man for that information. Going to keep it in mind so i can decide what to do with it.

Just for you to know... The thing is i'm kind of obsessed with keeping my notebook at the less load on the background. I've got core i5 540M 2.53, 4 gigs of ram and 7200rpm hdd, so i want to get the most out of this combination. I use tune up utilities, Program Deactivator tool and I've disabled everything but Chrome and the Intel Management Engine Components, and it marks them as medium load. And the HDD alert tool is marked as High load. So i thought well maybe disabling isn't gonna make any trouble. But well maybe now you understand my concern, any last advice will be welcome and appreciated. Thanks :)
PauPau

Posted: 01-Aug-2011 14:45   in response to: Edgarke16 in response to: Edgarke16

Hi

As described by xaver; this HDD monitoring tool helps you to receive helpful informations about the internal HDD and the HDD state.
The tool also protects the HDD from shocks which appear while the notebook has been moved and the HDD head stops in order to prevent the disk from scratch.
So I would leave this tool running in the background… it does not need a lot of resources so the notebook performance should not be affected a lot…
Edgarke16

Posted: 01-Aug-2011 17:52   in response to: xaver in response to: xaver

Thanks a lot
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved