Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to update BIOS on Satellite Pro U400?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31-Mar-2014 10:01 Last Post By: cypher007
simon_9

How to update BIOS on Satellite Pro U400?
Posted: 24-Jul-2011 20:15

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro U400 (PSU41E) running Windows 7 x64 and I have been trying to update the BIOS to version 4.70 for 4.00.

Every time I try to do so from Windows using WinPhlash that is bundled with the download from the Toshiba site it seems to freeze when trying to flash the new BIOS.
I have logged in as the local administrator, tried using other flash programs and even tried doing so from a USB flash disk with no luck.

Can someone please help me and explain how I can update the BIOS?
Akuma

Re: How to update BIOS on Satellite Pro U400?
Posted: 25-Jul-2011 07:07   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9

Sounds like you need the Toshiba Value Added Package installed (specifically for U400 and Win7 64bit), or your Antivirus Software is blocking the update.

You can find the updated Win7 drivers here:
http://support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows7/drivers_au.htm
C3PO

Posted: 25-Jul-2011 07:23   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9

Hello

tried using other flash programs
Never use any other flash programs!!! In worst case you could damage the ROM module and then it must be replaced. Only use the Toshiba flash program that is tested and designed for BIOS version and notebook.

Also the BIOS update program is designed for Windows, it’s a Windows based update program.

Satellite Pro U400 wasn’t delivered with Windows 7 so I assume you have done your own installation. Value Added Package is necessary for BIOS update program and can be downloaded on Toshiba European driver download page where your notebook model is listed:
http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads > Download Drivers
simon_9

Posted: 04-Aug-2011 22:07   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9

I have tried numerous options and nothing seems to work. I have tried using the administrator account, disabling anti-virus and even trying to do a BIOS update in DOS.

WinPlash stalls using it in Windows and I can't seem to flash the BIOS by booting from a flash disk and flashing in DOS because the BIOS files provided seem to only be for WinPlash.

So at the moment I am stuck!
PinkPanther

Posted: 05-Aug-2011 07:07   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9

Hi buddy,

You wrote that you use Windows 7 at the moment and for me it sounds like a software problem that you cannot update BIOS… Can you test it with factory settings please?
That means install Vista from recovery disk and test with preinstalled drivers and tools from Toshiba.

May I ask you why you want to update the BIOS? Is it really so important? BIOS update is only necessary if you really have a problem. Otherwise you can forget it. ;)
rz_1

Posted: 19-Oct-2011 19:39   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9

I have the same PC U400 PSU41E. Mine still in Vista and there was a notification that my Bios is out of date and needs update. so i updated it while in windows mode and i think it was 33files to update, anyway i let finish and i came back the unit was off. So, i thought its just natural for the pc to boot up but sadly i got only the LED to lit up and nothing is happening. So, who was to blame??? the update notice???? please HELP... i don't know what to do & i dont want to spend money on repair. i just wanted everything updated as i usually did. Can anyone HELP me.... plssss.. thanks. (step by step pls noob)

Message was edited by: rz_1
Tonny

Posted: 24-Oct-2011 10:44   in response to: rz_1 in response to: rz_1

@rz_1

Usually After the update completes, the computer will automatically shut down or restart.
You should power on the computer if it is off. While the "Toshiba" LOGO is displayed, press the F2 function key to start BIOS Setup. Check the version of BIOS and press the F9 function key to load setup defaults. Press the F10 function key to save settings and exit. The computer will automatically reboot.

If this does not work, then I think that the ROM module has not been flushed properly…
To solve this, the ROM module should be flashed once again.

Usually you should get in contact with a Toshiba authorized service provider whole could help you to flush the BIOS using BIOS crisis disk.

But you could try to flash the BIOS using the diskette based BIOS update.
Toshiba US page provides win based BIOS and diskette based BIOS update.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/downloadDetail.jsp?soid=2848987&pf=true

But if this doesn’t help, then you should get in contact with ASP
rz_1

Posted: 04-Dec-2011 10:02   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

Thanks Tony for all the info

i was able to download but have no sucess in reflashing it since my screen is blank and the only indicator that the laptop is on are the 2 lights for power, cd light just blink when booting and after that it remain steady. Then nothing happens. Do you have step by step on how to flash it? Also, in the read me file it says for:

o Satellite Pro U400 models having part numbers beginning with "PSU41U"

That is the file in the link you gave me - just want to be sure. im not able to view the LOGO nor any activity on the screen even i press those keys. btw, i was able to get hold of diskette USB drive & a USB cd rom since my cd/dvd rom is not working properly in some instance. i was able to create cd & diskette but i dont know if im doing it right or what to press to start the cd/diskette and also since i dont know what to expect when flashing.

so i decided to hold it until i have some more info. Can you help me and give some guide?
it will really help!! (noob :))

thanks so much for the info and your time to answer my queries!

Paolo30

Posted: 06-Dec-2011 13:38   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9

Hi mate

Not sure if your notebook is still working if nothing is visible on the screen.
Usually the Toshiba splash screen should appear for some sec if the power on self test would be passed properly… if this is not the case then this means that something is wrong with the motherboard.
By the way: To rewrite the BIOS using the tradiditonal BIOS version, you need the following BIOS rewriting disk and an USB doggle
To rewriting the BIOS you should :
1. Turn off the power to the computer.
2. Remove the external cables and cards.
3. Connect an external FDD and insert the BIOS rewriting disk into the external FDD.
4. Connect the USB doggle special for BIOS rewrite
5. Turn on the power
6. The BIOS rewriting starts.
7. When the process is completed, it beeps and the system automatically
reboots.

But if this is not possible then the notebook’s motherboard might be affected
rz_1

Posted: 27-Jan-2012 09:01   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

Thanks Paolo30!
Where can get hold of the bios rewriting disk & usb doggle? how to make them? what's the relation of Tony's solution? ...noob. Still haven't solve my problem, been busy in the last weeks. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :)
MisterX

Posted: 27-Jan-2012 09:10   in response to: rz_1 in response to: rz_1

Download the BIOS from the link posted by Tonny above.
Then unzip this package.
Within the package you will find the index.html and readme.txt file.
You should read the info there.
There you can find step by step instruction.
cypher007

Posted: 31-Mar-2014 10:01   in response to: simon_9 in response to: simon_9
Helpful
anyone still trying to get there Satellite Pro U400 working this is what I did and it worked:

use the crisis disk 1.0.0.4 and replace the bios.wph with the Toshiba u400 bios, but you need to rename it bios.wph.

create a usb with the crisis tool, you might have to run as admin and compatibility mode xp. it will create a usb stick, and appear to copy files but you will need to transfer the bios.wph, minidos,sys and phlash16 to the usb stick.

now I recon there is no key for bios recovery on these laptops, as the next bit effectively give the device no choice on what to boot from.

remove the hdd and dvd drive. then insert battery and plug in the usb drive. power up and it should read from the usb drive. then it will start beeping seemingly randomly, but I think its actually flashing the blocks, as you get a short beep now and then.

after about 2-3 mins the beeping should stop and it will reboot, job done.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved