Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
NB550D - Upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Professional
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12-May-2011 15:13 Last Post By: MisterX
gg_1

NB550D - Upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Professional
Posted: 12-May-2011 09:53

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Dear All,

I recently bought a Toshiba NB550D and need to upgrade the pre-installed Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Pro. I tried the (preinstalled) Anytime Upgrade Wizard but this does not work. I get stuck in the wizard because - as he tells me - "You might need to change locale or language settings to purchase Windows Anytime Upgrade online". I learned that in order to use Anytime Upgrade the locale settings must be identical to those of the country where your billing address is located. For me this country is Switzerland, so everything needs to be in German.

The problem is, the Windows 7 Starter installation always uses English as "Display Language" and this cannot be modifed after installation. I tried rolling back the installation but there is no choice possible, it is always English. All other locale and language settings can be modified.

My questions:
  • Is there a way to force the display language of Windows 7 Starter to German (either before or after initial installation)?
  • Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro circumventing the problem, e.g. by using a different approach than the anytime upgrade wizard?
  • Any other suggestions which might help?

Thank you
gg
PinkPanther

Re: NB550D - Upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Professional
Posted: 12-May-2011 11:14   in response to: gg_1 in response to: gg_1

Hi buddy,

This is depending on the preinstalled Windows 7 Starter. If Windows 7 Starter was preinstalled in English language just an upgrade to an English version of Windows 7 Professional is possible. So you can’t upgrade from English to German for example, therefore you have to buy a new Windows 7 version.

So either you buy a new Windows 7 Professional version in German or you upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. The Ultimate version provides MUI (Multilingual User Interface).
MisterX

Re: NB550D - Upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Professional
Posted: 12-May-2011 15:13   in response to: gg_1 in response to: gg_1

Hi

I would recommend using the Windows 7 Ultimate.
It provides a Multilingual User Interface as posted above and this allows you to use the Win 7 in any language.

Greets
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved