Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L505-13E - Overheat problem?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Nov-2011 16:10 Last Post By: Hotlap
JohnnySystem

Satellite L505-13E - Overheat problem?
Posted: 06-Apr-2011 02:26

Hi,

Almost a year after buying a Toshiba Satellite L505-13E, I started noticing temperature problems (it starts going at 70º, sometimes more, hitting 89º), even had the computer just power off (not the correct way through windows, instead, in a moment it's on, the other it's off when it hits 90º). I bought a cooling stand to maintain the computer at low temperatures, but the stand is not that good and the temperatures get levelled at 60º at best, but does solve the problem temporarily.

I usually have Skype (normally i'm not on a call so the cpu doesn't spike, but I do have the ocasional call), msn, irc, have a program to check mails regularly (thunderbird) and have firefox opened. At maximum the cpu spikes at 32% or similar with all of these opened (normally it's at 9-14% or so), so I don't think it's any problem related to massive processing of applications (but like anything else, sometimes it spikes to bigger percentages, but not that much or for so much time). I do use all of these at the same time. Because of the temperature problem, I installed an app to check regularly the state of the system.

As the problem is internally in the computer, I suppose it may be because the fan is stuck or something. I do clean the dust when it's time, but it also solves the problem temporarily (I don't open the computer case however, as it is under warranty and I don't want to void the warranty or break the computer). I'd like to find a more permanent solution without buying anything else as I don't think this is the correct solution for the problem.

The computer was bought in 2010 and the warranty is 2 years, so I guess it's possible to send the computer to repair, but I'm not aware of the procedure for this situation.

After showing the problem, the question is: What are the steps needed to check this problem? Do I have to send the laptop to the store (where I bought it) for them to send it to toshiba or do I have to send it myself?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I'm an advanced user, I do a lot of stuff with the computer, but I may survive a few days without a computer (maybe :P)

Paolo30

Re: Satellite L505-13E - Overheat problem?
Posted: 06-Apr-2011 12:08   in response to: JohnnySystem in response to: JohnnySystem
Helpful
As the problem is internally in the computer, I suppose it may be because the fan is stuck or something. I do clean the dust when it's time, but it also solves the problem temporarily (I don't open the computer case however, as it is under warranty and I don't want to void the warranty or break the computer). I'd like to find a more permanent solution without buying anything else as I don't think this is the correct solution for the problem.

The dust and debris are the main reasons why the notebook overheats. The dust inside the cooling modules prevents the fans from rotating faster which affects the cooling and leads to higher temperature.
So as you said; removing dust help you… and this should be done from time to time.

You say this is temporal solution for you? Hmm… I have no idea how you want to use the notebook is a dust free room? Only this would keep prevent dust from cooling modules.

I clean my notebook using compressed air spray. This helps and does not affect my warranty.

greets
JohnnySystem

Posted: 06-Apr-2011 17:54   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

Hi,

I use the notebook in a pretty much normal room for 2 people, I do clean the room from time to time, but I do think the problem is actually in the laptop. I did clean it today for the first time with an airspray cleaning can and the temperature problem still persists. The internal fan however does seem to work fine as opposed to what I said earlier (that it might be stuck, which is not). Still, I didn't open the laptop because of the warranty.

Here is a link to the image that shows the state of my system (I used "process explorer" to show the graphical info, most of the cpu usage (6%) is from this tool). I also have Core Temp showing the current temperature. Most of these tools are normally in the tray (procexp and coretemp) or closed, as is the case of the Toshiba PC Health Monitor.

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/7589/systematnormaluse.png

I don't usually play games, but when I do, the system also powers off after some time. The programs I have open at this time are all basically idle except for process explorer which spikes a bit the cpu, normally at 6-10%.

What's your opinion about the temperature issue? Does it seem to be an actual issue?

Regards
miguelbeites

Posted: 22-May-2011 22:03   in response to: JohnnySystem in response to: JohnnySystem

Hi everyone.

I have that exact computer - Toshiba Satellite L505-13E - and I have the same problem as JohnnySystem. When idle, the computer rounds 60º-70º, and when I try to play it usually gets CoreTemp readings of 84º-89º. then, it shuts down. Probably because it reaches the 90º Celsius mark.
The problem is driving me insane and I don't know what to do. I have the latest software and driver updates installed in the machine, but i haven't tried cleaning it for dust or debris inside, because I'm afraid of the 2 year warranty.

I am also confused about using a compressed air spray. I have to open the computer from the base, take out both keyboard and hard-drive and then apply it directly to the fan?

Sometimes I use a plastic and aluminum laptop cooler with two fans to help cooling the machine. But it still shuts down anyway. I am going to buy a 100% aluminum one to see if the heat spreads more across the cooler board.
However, according to JohnnySystem it might not work 100% as it is a "temporarily solution".

The computer is often used for games, so I guess it is normal to get some heat. But shutting down every time after playing 5 minutes is getting too annoying.

What should I do?

Just to make sure, my specs are:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1Gb
3.86Gb RAM
JohnnySystem

Posted: 18-Jul-2011 16:29   in response to: miguelbeites in response to: miguelbeites

Hi miguelbeites,

I solved the problem I had with mine. I used a compressed air spray and blew the air out of the dissipator on the left (next to the hdmi and eSata ports). The dust flew out of the base of the laptop and then I did the same in the reverse direction (so the dust spreads better). Obviously the laptop was off and the battery taken out.

In the end, I got my system to be in it's 40º-50º at idle times (mostly on the 50º as I have a lot of programs running, but idle), and it spikes to 65º-70º max when in heavy graphics (I played Portal 2 in these months).

It's all solved on my part and as you have the same exact problem, I think the solution is really this. Just make sure most of the dust is free. I now clean the laptop (with a compressed air spray) on this exact place of the laptop besides the usual cleaning on the outside every month. The problem never came back.

Regards,

JohnnySystem

Message was edited by: JohnnySystem (fixed a typo, hate them)
Hotlap

Posted: 21-Nov-2011 16:10   in response to: JohnnySystem in response to: JohnnySystem

I used compressed air Radio shack dust remover spray however I also used a household vacuum at the same time. I immobilized the fan with a bent paperclip to prevent fan over speeding. Before cleaning I taped over ALL the vent holes on the bottom to seal against vacuum loss. You should leave just enough open area to accommodate the diameter of the vacuum hose.

By reversing the air path and removing the accumulated debris you should be in better shape.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved