Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite Pro A300-28R - Windows starts up with wrong display resolution
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Mar-2011 09:02 Last Post By: CiRi Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
CiRi

Satellite Pro A300-28R - Windows starts up with wrong display resolution
Posted: 07-Mar-2011 21:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
OK so I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-28R with Windows 7 64 bit and an ATI Mobility Radeon 3470 HD graphics card.

I recently connected my laptop to a TV via the S-video connection. This worked fine. The problem is that ever since then every time I start my laptop Windows starts with the S-video display resolution of 600x800.

I have tried changing the settings in both Control Panel and using the ATI CCC, having both selected and applied these settings but each time Windows starts now it boots with the above display resolution.

Following this I have also uninstalled and reinstalled both my display driver and the Toshiba Value Added package but the same problem persists. I have searched with Google about this problem and haven't been able to find anything useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PauPau

Re: Satellite Pro A300-28R - Windows starts up with wrong display resolution
Posted: 08-Mar-2011 12:34   in response to: CiRi in response to: CiRi

Hi dude

How did you output the video signal?
Did you choose “extended desktop” or simply the external monitor option using the FN +F5?

I think you should press the Fn+F5 once again and should switch back to one display, internal notebook display.

Please check if this would help you!
assex

Posted: 08-Mar-2011 15:30   in response to: CiRi in response to: CiRi

Have you switched back to notebook’s LCD (FN+F5) before you have disconnected S-Video connection?
CiRi

Posted: 08-Mar-2011 18:17   in response to: assex in response to: assex

Hi thanks for your responses! Originally I used the method of closing the laptop screen while connected to the s-video and then opening the screen and logging into Windows. This then automatically detects the display and changes to that output. To get out of this you can do either do the reverse or pres Fn+ F5 to undo. This has worked perfectly for me before with VGA connections. Its only since connecting to s-video that now no matter what, every time the laptop starts up even when it is not connected to any external display, it loads with the resolution 800x600. This is not the first time I have used s-video, but it is the first time I have had this result after doing it.

Interestingly if I change to the appropriate resolution and do a restart. The system restarts and loads to the logon screen and then into Windows in the resolution I specified before the restart but then after fully loading Windows it then changes to 800x600. It is as if the laptop is detecting that there is something connected to the s-video when there is not. I have read a fix for this whereby you can go into the system registry and turn off the feature for automatically detecting displays but I use external displays frequently and this is not a satisfactory solution. This worked perfectly before.
Mike30

Posted: 08-Mar-2011 18:30   in response to: CiRi in response to: CiRi

Try to reinstall display driver. Maybe it will be set to default resolution again.

I have two Toshiba notebooks and have never noticed something like that. Every time before I disconnect external display use FN+F5 to switch back to LCD display and then disconnect external device.
CiRi

Posted: 09-Mar-2011 09:02   in response to: Mike30 in response to: Mike30

Hi Mike, as stated in my original post I have already re-installed my display driver, twice now. Am beginning to think there may be something setting off the display detection on the notebook, dust or something. Am going to try getting a vacuum or compressed air can to it.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved