Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Portege R700, Windows 7, sudden fan/cpu surge, freeze and force shutdown
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 30 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 16-Sep-2011 10:34 Last Post By: strafft Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
strafft

Portege R700, Windows 7, sudden fan/cpu surge, freeze and force shutdown
Posted: 04-Mar-2011 12:27

Hi

I have a persistent issue that is starting to get annoying... Portege 700 running Windows 7. Normal usage (Office, WMP, IE nothing heavy)

For no obvious reason (no new applications started for instance), there is a sudden increase in fan speed to what must be max (it sounds like it's taking off), and I suspect CPU usage at the same time. And that is that, it simply doesn't stop (I have left for some time on occasion) and does not respond to any input (mouse or keyboard). The only "solution" is to use the power button to force a shutdown. (And then have to lose all cookies etc etc when starting up again).

I have done a fair amount of googling on this. Thought it was WMP Network Sharing Service and took some action to see, but recently have disabled that service and still the issue is occuring... (I checked it was still disabled when just rebooted).

I also keep it as "clean" as I can (have AV installed, use ccleaner regularly etc etc) so would be surprised if a virus/worm, but am running a scan again just in case...

This is happening often enough to be a pain - and I have no idea what is causing it, so any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
C3PO

Re: Portege R700, Windows 7, sudden fan/cpu surge, freeze and force shutdown
Posted: 04-Mar-2011 14:34   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft
Helpful
Hello

I’m not owner of Portege R700 but on Toshiba website I found an article that describes EXACTLTY the same problem. High CPU usage and fan activity and then it freezes :(
Here is the link to this article:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0C032L0000R01.htm

As you can see, updating the fingerprint software could help you to get rid of this problem. :)
strafft

Posted: 04-Mar-2011 14:38   in response to: C3PO in response to: C3PO

many thanks for that. I did do a search before posting (!) but didn't find that thread... am downloading the software now, fingers crossed will report back....

tim
strafft

Posted: 04-Mar-2011 14:39   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

i like "special circumstances" - what on earth is that supposed to mean?!
Timox

Posted: 04-Mar-2011 14:50   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

Who cares what that means? ;)
Update the software and send some feedback.
strafft

Posted: 04-Mar-2011 16:16   in response to: Timox in response to: Timox

well 1 hour in and so far so good - but I do not know if I have encountered "special circumstances" yet. will keep fingers crossed and let you know....
C3PO

Posted: 04-Mar-2011 16:57   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

´Cool and thank you for feedback! :)

I hope your problem is solved now!!!
strafft

Posted: 05-Mar-2011 08:36   in response to: C3PO in response to: C3PO

sad to report.... :(

thought was OK, indeed it was for a few hours. left the pc to go watch tv last night, when I came back about an hour later to head for bed it was blazing away, and I had to power off with the power button :(

some other things I have thought of...

I use a dock - but this has happened both docked and undocked
it has happened both at home and away (hotel)
one possible factor is I sync to an HTC WM6.5 phone by USB.... but I can't recall whether this only happens when the phone is connected? it is also not an issue with another laptop (HP) that I sync the same phone to

the problem with "proper" diagnostics such as disable all startup services and enable one by one is that it can take hours for this problem to occur, so a full diagnosis could take days, with the PC not fully working all the time...
the symptoms mean I can't use task manager to see what the hell is doing it - is there any report generated anywhere - or can I set one up? - that would log CPU usage or similar by process/application for viewing later?

any further thoughts very gratefully received - suspect my best bet from all the above is some kind of logging report for later viewing if that can be enabled? (and is decipherable lol)

ho hum!

t
strafft

Posted: 07-Mar-2011 07:49   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

well.... all yesterday I left my phone unattached, and the issue did not occur... so I will continue for a little longer. if this continues for a few days I will have to conclude that in some way that is the issue.... i should still be able to sync as this happens pretty quickly, just not leave the phone attached. no idea why this should happen mind you - it syncs fine with another windows 7 pc with no issues, and I have been using these phones and windows for years with no issues :S

tim
MisterX

Posted: 07-Mar-2011 11:25   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

Thanks for the feedback mate... keep it tracking...
strafft

Posted: 11-Mar-2011 10:41   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

so far = so good
have avoided syncing phone for long periods and is OK
also wondered if was combination of sync & windows media player.... and have not tried that combo again yet
suppose the only way to find out is do just that
and i would still like to know from a log of some sort which process is actually doing this...
strafft

Posted: 10-Apr-2011 07:06   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

well here's a turn up
for all the wrong reasons I have had to rebuild my PC
but that does at least mean it is "vanilla"
and long before I have fired up media player, connected a phone, or done any of the things I was suspecting above I have had the same symptoms!
have installed a few programs but that is all
so frankly I am back to being mystified.....
janneman

Posted: 18-Apr-2011 08:08   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft
Helpful
+1 i can say.

protege G700 thingy. I do have some software installed, but I think this whole crashing started when I moved all data from windows 7 to my D: drive.

normally i also run a browser and some office-stuff, sometimes other more complex software. I have run a registry cleaner (from regsofts) and it seems more stable now.

It has negatively surprised me however that in this state of technology a crash so hard and unannounced still happens. did not even happen in 10 years of XP usage!

so i'm still blank on a 100% analasys what this is, but maybe you also seek some registry cleaner.
strafft

Posted: 18-Apr-2011 08:53   in response to: janneman in response to: janneman

thanks for the post
well at least I am not alone!
I agree it is a pretty shocking fault - and my lack of ability to diagnose it is even more annoying
I would still like to know if there is some (unintrusive) utility (either already in Win 7 or 3rd party) that I can use to monitor e.g. CPU / process usage, and so use to check post crash if there are any obvious culprits?
t
carmalcoz

Posted: 29-May-2011 21:24   in response to: strafft in response to: strafft

I've had this issue on my R705-P41 W7x64 home premium (it has no biometric device) when I'm connected to my wireless network but when I'm wired connected I dont remember to have this problem. So that the main suspect must be the wireless driver or even worse the card. I rolled back the driver to the older one (version 13.2.1.5 date 5/31/2010) to see what happen, I will report back in any event.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved