Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite C650 - Reinstall with new hard drive
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Feb-2011 12:21 Last Post By: Syntax
BP1

Satellite C650 - Reinstall with new hard drive
Posted: 04-Feb-2011 01:44

Hello,

The hard drive in my C650 recently died so I have put in a replacement, and the problem I have is that I never did create recovery disks for my laptop.

I have tried to use the windows 7 disk that I got with my desktop, but when I boot it I get the error 'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert now.'.

So, I downloaded the chipset driver from the support page and extracted them to a flash drive. The installation does detect these 'ICH9' drivers on my flash drive, but after loading them I still get an error 'No new deices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media.".

I have checked the bios and the new hard drive is definately detected.
Is there anything else I can do, short of ordering recovery disks from toshiba?

Thanks!
Tonny

Re: Satellite C650 - Reinstall with new hard drive
Posted: 04-Feb-2011 10:08   in response to: BP1 in response to: BP1

Hi

The message
'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert now.'.
says that your CD/DVD drive is not detected.
So you should check if the BIOS if the CD/DVD drive is listed there. It should be listed on the first BIOS page.

If you want to boot from disk then you should power up the unit and should press F12.
Usually a menu should appear which allows you to choose ODD (CD/DVDdrive)
Choose this and try to boot from CD.
BP1

Posted: 07-Feb-2011 02:55   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

Thanks for the reply,

I didn't word my question very well. I can actually boot from the Windows 7 dvd, and the setup starts, but when I click the 'Install' button on the first step of setup - this is when I get the error for the missing driver.

After reading your reply I did decide to try with a different drive, so I plugged in my usb dvd drive and used that - but I get the exact same message using this drive.

It seems to be the equivalent of when you had to press F6 and load a sata driver from floppy in windows xp setup. I have never experienced it with Windows 7 though and have no clue what to do.
C3PO

Posted: 07-Feb-2011 08:11   in response to: BP1 in response to: BP1

Hello

Is there anything else I can do, short of ordering recovery disks from toshiba?
I’m wondering why you ask for recovery disk because you can create this disk yourself using preinstalled Toshiba recovery media creator that is preinstalled on OS from Toshiba. Furthermore it’s mentioned in user manual and this document should be read before using the computer.

Of course you can order recovery disk from Toshiba but it’s not for free:
https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
BP1

Posted: 07-Feb-2011 08:39   in response to: C3PO in response to: C3PO

Well I never did create recovery disks becuase I just kept putting it off thinking I would never need them. I will be the first to admit this was a mistake. But I am unable to create them now of course, as the hard drive is no longer accessible.
Syntax

Posted: 07-Feb-2011 12:21   in response to: BP1 in response to: BP1

Hey,

So the best thing would be if you order a recovery disk from Toshiba, then you have factory settings back on your new HDD. This is the easiest way and the image is pretested by Toshiba that means everything will work properly and you can use every function of your computer.

Recovery installation is very easy: Boot from this disk and follow the screen instructions. Everything happens automatically. During this procedure, drink a coffee and relax a little bit. After one hour it should be finished and you can use the notebook again :)
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved