Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Turn on wireless capability - Satellite A660 - 18N
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Aug-2011 13:47 Last Post By: Paolo30
MJ2624

Turn on wireless capability - Satellite A660 - 18N
Posted: 03-Jan-2011 09:51

Toshiba Satellite A660 - 18N

I have used this laptop to connect to the internet via a wireless connection since I purchased the unit some 3 months ago.
Just over a week ago the wireless connection dropped out and I have not been able to reconnect via a wireless connection, cable connection is okay.

When I check to see what the problem is the dialogue ' Wireless communication is disalbled - Please turn on the wireless communication switch'. Another dialogue box also comes up when I trouble shoot elsewhere 'Turn on wireless capability use the switch on the front or side of the computer or function keys if available to enable wireless capability on this computer'.

I have tried FN with F8 - but it states turn on the wireless communication switch - as far as I am aware there is no manual switch for switching wireless on/off?

Any help would be fantastic as this has become a pain.

Many thanks.
MisterX

Re: Turn on wireless capability - Satellite A660 - 18N
Posted: 03-Jan-2011 10:22   in response to: MJ2624 in response to: MJ2624

Hi

The FN + F8 switches between the Bluetooth, WLan and WAN.
Please be sure that you have chosen WLan!
Furthermore the WLan led should blink ambler if WLan has been enabled.

If this is not possible, check if WLan driver update would help to solve this.

Greets
MJ2624

Posted: 03-Jan-2011 15:29   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

Many thanks for your assistance MisterX.

Unfortunately, I have tried what you have suggested but still unable to sort.

When i press FN + F8 nothing happens apartfrom the dialogue boxing 'please turn on the wireless communication switch'.

I have tried to update the WLan driver and have confirmation that this is 'already installed and up to date'. Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.lln PCI-E-NIC.

When trouble shooting the outcome is the same 'switch on wirless communication switch!

Any further assistance wouldbe appreciated.
Xardas

Posted: 03-Jan-2011 16:03   in response to: MJ2624 in response to: MJ2624

Hi MJ2624,

Have you already tried to turn on the WLAN card using the illuminated WLAN button between keyboard and display?
Using this key you can also enable/disable the WLAN card.

As far as I know BIOS contains also an option about WLAN card. Make sure it’s enabled in BIOS too!!!
Beth_1

Posted: 02-Apr-2011 15:46   in response to: MJ2624 in response to: MJ2624

Hi,
I have the Toshiba satellite A660 and have been using it since August without any problems. Then about 10 days ago the internet stopped working and I think it's the exact same problem that you have. The adapter is 'working properly' and the drivers all have the most recent update. I've tried restoring to before the internet cut out, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling/disabling and re-enabling... I have looked on other forums and found the wireless capability switch is the second icon next to the power switch (it looks like an icon, but is actually also a touch-button) - pressing this seems to do absolutely nothing and fn+f8 just keeps telling me the wireless capability is turned off. I feel like I've tried everything and nothing does anything!! Have you found anything that worked? If you haven't tried it yet, press that wireless icon thing next to the power switch, according to other threads it appears to have worked for most people!!

HELP!

Beth
Angelica007940

Posted: 04-Apr-2011 15:15   in response to: Beth_1 in response to: Beth_1

Beth, I am having the same problem as you. I have the Toshiba Satellite L650 Series. I have been on the phone with my internet provider, my Router provider, and Toshiba, who has to call me back, because they dont know how to fix the problem. If you get any answers as to how to fix the problem please share. I have had the computer for 4 months, use it daily and this is the first time I have had the problem. My internet connetction is working, my router is working. When I press the Function and F8 key it says that my wireless is ON, however the wireless connection is not working! So frustrating... Not to mention I have been working on this and on the phone for hours now!
samf987

Posted: 10-May-2011 02:06   in response to: MJ2624 in response to: MJ2624

Hi, I have toshiba satellita 665 adn i m having same issue enven when i see the "Open Intel My wifi utility " it states that hardware radio switch is off but its seem to be on cause when I tried to change to on it seems blocked not allow me to turn on or off doesnt work with the FN + F8 neither I have tried to update or reinstall the driver for my wirelles card but nothing happens I can only make it work with cable LAN
If anyone can help please
or someone have find the solution \i will be so greatful
thnx in advanced
PauPau

Posted: 10-May-2011 12:41   in response to: samf987 in response to: samf987

Hi

Wlan indicator (LED) blinks amber when BT, Wlan or WAN functions are turned on.

There is only one possibility in order to enable this; you have to use the FN + F8

You have to press this several times to choose Wlan. If Fn + F8 does not work, reinstall the VAP, Flash Card Support utility and Wlan driver.

Greets
tomasdeb

Posted: 29-Jun-2011 13:46   in response to: MJ2624 in response to: MJ2624

I, too, ran into this problem yesterday. No wireless communication (whileehernet connection was fine). Device Manager indicated that everything was ok and FN+F8 just said to enable the wireless communication switch (but didn't say how!).
However, check out Xardas' reply below. The icon second from left between the screen and keyboard is a SWITCH, not just an indicator. Simply pressing it once has resolved the problem for me.
Many thanks Xardas.
TAIS_techsupport

Posted: 30-Jun-2011 05:53   in response to: tomasdeb in response to: tomasdeb

Hi

For A660 series make sure that the wireless button is lit up on the media controllers (the one across the top) if it doesn't stay lit up, try to uninstall the TVAP - Toshiba value added package on the control panel, reinstall it using TOSAPINS - Toshiba application installer (go on mytoshiba folder and look for toshiba application installer), restart the laptop. Try to Fn + F8, make sure that the wireless is on and try to connect to your network

If still not working, try to check the version of your driver. try to uninstall/reinstall, if not go ahead and update the driver.

Check also if there's an update for the BIOS

If it can detect the the network but cannot browse the internet try the following:

Power cycle. (Shut down the laptop, disconnect the charger and turn it over and remove the battery. Leave the laptop for 20 secs and put the battery back)

Boot on safe mode with networking (Tap F8 while turning on the laptop). On advanced boot option select safe mode with networking.

Try to connect, wired and wireless -- if you can connect either with wired or wireless

Try to go on command prompt (start, on search programs and files time in 'cmd' ) type in 'ping www.google.com' if you can get 4 replies and 0 lost. the problem is on the security settings. try to disable your firewall.

If still not working do the system recovery.
Fin_1

Posted: 04-Aug-2011 12:40   in response to: MJ2624 in response to: MJ2624
Correct
My new Toshiba A660-18n wireless networking didnt work even straight out of the box,
I was told everything from a faulty machine to faulty drivers.

But then I did a little investigating myself, and discovered the solution, its very simple

go to the following folder on your C: drive

c:\program files\toshiba\tbs

and double click on the file called "Tbs Wireless.exe"
(It has a little icon of an aerial on it)

This will pop up a brief message.

Then press Fn and the F8 Keys together until the little orange light comes on on the lower front right of the computer.

and hey presto, the wireless system will now work.

Its a bit strange how Toshiba didnt spot this flaw.

Fin

Paolo30

Posted: 04-Aug-2011 13:47   in response to: Fin_1 in response to: Fin_1

@Fin_1
What you describing in your message is exactly the same procedure which you can solve using Fn + F8!
You have to press this several times in the row in order to enable the Wlan because Fn + F8 enables the Bluetooth too… so it’s possible that you have to pres this several times…

Anyway, thanks for sharing this info… big thanks to you!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved