Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Cannot get the wireless adaptor to work on my Satellite L550-1CC
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Dec-2010 11:34 Last Post By: Macius
lonetraider

Cannot get the wireless adaptor to work on my Satellite L550-1CC
Posted: 09-Dec-2010 08:47

I'm getting annoyed with this laptop, I reinstalled windows 7 (32 bit) and cannot get the wireless adaptor to work.

My router settings are perfect, my netbook has zero problems connecting - the router is mere inches away from the laptop most of the time - still the laptop insists there are "no available networks".

This is of course BS, before I reinstalled windows i could pick up 3 other neighbour networks as well as my own.

Windows automatically installed the wireless network - I thought that might have been the problem, so, I downloaded the driver direct from realtek.

No difference. Still the little icon with the red cross slashed through it.

I thought it might have been a hot key problem - so i installed the flash card driver which apparently controls the hot keys (for some reason).

The hotkeys still dont work - I really could give a damn about that - it's just the wireless network I require.

Thanks in advance of any help I may recieve.
assex

Re: Cannot get the wireless adaptor to work on my Satellite L550-1CC
Posted: 09-Dec-2010 09:03   in response to: lonetraider in response to: lonetraider

my netbook has zero problems connecting - the router is mere inches away from the laptop most of the time - still the laptop insists there are "no available networks".
After reading this sentence I am a little bit confused. If there is no available WLAN networks how can your laptop had zero problems to connect?

One more thing:
This is of course BS, before I reinstalled windows i could pick up 3 other neighbour networks as well as my own.
What is the difference between old and new Windows installation?

Generally speaking WLAN usage is quite simple.
-WLAN card must be installed properly (listed in device manager
-WLAN card must be enabled – use FN+F8 key combination to enable WLAN card
-scan the area for available WLAN networks, click on your WLAN and use button connect
-put WLAN key if necessary and after few seconds WLAN connection should work

I have done this numerous times on Win7 preinstalled notebooks and didn’t have any problems. On all notebooks preinstalled with Toshiba recovery image (factory settings) is not need to change any WLAN settings.
lonetraider

Posted: 09-Dec-2010 09:18   in response to: assex in response to: assex

"my netbook has zero problems connecting - the router is mere inches away from the laptop most of the time - still the laptop insists there are "no available networks".
After reading this sentence I am a little bit confused. If there is no available WLAN networks how can your laptop had zero problems to connect?"

--

I have a samsung n150 netbook which connects perfectly, my toshiba laptop does not - it used to without problem. not anymore, not since i reinstalled windows - which i have does countless times over the years on many computers without problem.

--

The wirelss adapter is installed, like i said, windows installed it automatically. I thought that was the problem before - therefore, i uninstalled the windows wireless driver and installed the driver direct from realtek - this has made zero difference.

Although I installed the flashcard support, my function keys are still not working, I tried this 2x, and it seems to have been installed correctly. Still, it is not working.

I wanted a fresh install of windows 7 as I use this laptop for recording music on the go. I always do this to ensure there are no programs running i do not require, and so that I have a fresh registry.

I've never had any problems like this before either.
Xardas

Posted: 09-Dec-2010 13:22   in response to: lonetraider in response to: lonetraider

Hi lonetrading,

Ok, I noticed you have a problem with WLAN network but which one exactly?

Is the WLAN card listed in device manager properly now?
Can you enable the WLAN card using FN+F8 key combination?

After this your computer is ready to scan for networks and should find your router at home. Choose your router and connect to it, you will be prompted to enter the WLAN password. That’s all!
lonetraider

Posted: 09-Dec-2010 21:36   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

There is definatly a problem here, like I said before my hotkeys are not functioning therefore fn+f8 will not work.

I installed flashcard support to no avail.

Anyway, In device manager, the Realtek RTL8191se wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC is installed without any visable problem.

When I click on properties apparently "this device is working properly"

However, when i run windows network diagnostics, windows states "there might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter", "Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter."

I fail to see what more I can do, windows tried to install the driver automatically - it did install but never worked. I uninstalled windows driver and downloaded and installed the driver direct from realtek - this made no difference.
assex

Posted: 10-Dec-2010 08:21   in response to: lonetraider in response to: lonetraider

I really don’t understand all these problems with hotkeys and so on. It seems to be pretty complicated.

Can you please use delivered Win7 32bit recovery disc you got with your notebook and install it again? After doing this you will have clean preinstalled OS and all must work properly.
Start OS and when Win7 is completely loaded enable WLAN card, scan the area and you will see which wireless networks will be available and “visible” for your notebook.

If your network is listed there click on connect and you should be able to use this WLAN connection.
lonetraider

Posted: 10-Dec-2010 10:21   in response to: assex in response to: assex

I did use the recovery disk and it did not work, I may not be an advanced computer user, but I am not a novice.

I know what I am doing, I have been doing it for years, there is some kind of problem here and the usual troubleshooting does not work - I have already done all of this.

I am certainly not of the computer abilitly to require tips on how to select my network from the available ones.
assex

Posted: 10-Dec-2010 11:25   in response to: lonetraider in response to: lonetraider

I don’t want to discuss about your PC knowledge. I just want to help you clarifying what the problem can be.

Fact is that recovery image contains all necessary drivers, tools and utilities and with “Factory settings” WLAN card will be perfectly installed. Preinstalled flash cards utility should allow you to use FN+F8 key combination to enable/disable WLAN card.

Maybe I ask too much but it is just for better understanding.
Have you noticed the same problem using 64bit recovery image?

Sorry for all my questions but I am also not a novice, use Toshiba notebooks almost 10 years, at home I have two of them and the “standard” principle (FN+F8) how to enable, configure WLAN is the same and works. I have two notebooks here. Both with Win7 (32 and 64 bit) and one of them has dual boot with WXP but there is no problem at all.

I am really out of idea and don’t know what to say.
Do you really think problem is with Toshiba laptop?
Is with your router everything OK? Right settings, newest firmware?
lonetraider

Posted: 10-Dec-2010 13:46   in response to: assex in response to: assex

Sorry but this is hindering me now and prevents work out of office.

Sadly I never backed up the 64 bit version, I use the 32 bit and it makes life simpler with regard to installing studio software & hardware.

The only recovery disk i recieved with the laptop was the 32 bit windows 7 disk.

I wasn't bothered with that for the above reason.

It is impossible for my router to be the problem, my samsung n150 connects perfectly, so does my desktop. before the reinstallation, my toshiba laptop scanned and found my neighbours networks as well as my own - now it sees none.

Like i said the hotkeys are not working - so fn+f8 will do nothing.

As i said before something must be wrong - even windows states this as i conveyed before -

"In device manager, the Realtek RTL8191se wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC is installed without any visable problem.

When I click on properties apparently "this device is working properly"

However, when i run windows network diagnostics, windows states "there might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter", "Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter."

Now i have no idea what "Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter." means, but it certainly seems to be the root of the problem or a direct symtpom of it.
Macius

Posted: 11-Dec-2010 11:33   in response to: lonetraider in response to: lonetraider

...windows tried to install the driver automatically - it did install but never worked
You should not allow Windows to install any of drivers offered in Windows update as “Optional updates”.
When I check optional updates offered in “Windows update” options there is also listed Realtek WLAN driver but I have disabled all options. you should use Toshiba driver only.

Try please to remove installed driver and install driver from Toshiba WLAN portal > http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/

But there is still problem with FN keys functionality.
Try please to reinstall “Toshiba Value Added Package”. This package contains several important tools and utilities and one of them is “Toshiba Flash cards Utility.

I hope after VAP reinstallation FN keys should work properly again.
I believe you when you wrote that your router is OK but try to restart your router and check connectivity again, of course after driver and VAP installation.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved