Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A660 - USB boot problems after BIOS update
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Jan-2011 09:31 Last Post By: MasterG
clau

Satellite A660 - USB boot problems after BIOS update
Posted: 19-Nov-2010 09:28

Hello,

I own a Toshiba Satellite A660 and recently have update the BIOS to the latest version (1.80). Since then the notebook will freeze on the boot screen (the one with the Toshiba logo) whenever a USB flash memory is attached.
It works without the flash memory connected and also if I connect it after I enter the boot menu or the BIOS setup. I can even boot from it like this.
As far as I am concerned this is a serious regression. Is there any way I can downgrade the BIOS version, or any other way to fix this issue ? I rely heavily on external USB drives.

Regards,
Claudiu.
Xardas

Re: Satellite A660 - USB boot problems after BIOS update
Posted: 23-Nov-2010 14:35   in response to: clau in response to: clau

Hi Claudiu,

That’s really interesting I must say so I have tested it on my new Satellite A660 and Transcend 4GB USB Stick…. Well, I have also installed BIOS 1.80 but I can’t notice this problem… HDD is set as first boot device and all other BIOS settings are by default. The computer past the Toshiba screen and Windows boots as usual.
No problems at all!

Have you tested different USB devices?

Generally speaking BIOS downgrade is not possible. This can only be done from an authorized service provider because on Toshiba page you can download newest version only but I doubt it’s a bug of new BIOS version because on my A660 it works.
clau

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 14:45   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Hello Xardas,

I have tested another device (flash memory) and it works just fine. It still looks like a bug in BIOS though, since from the OS I can use the device that otherwise causes the BIOS to freeze.
At least for now I can continue using my notebook just as before, and I just need to be careful not to have the wrong device connected when I boot.

Claudiu.
Xardas

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 15:50   in response to: clau in response to: clau

Hi Claudiu,

I can’t imagine it’s a BIOS bug... I mean on my Satellite A660 it works also perfect and I think the problem is related to this USB flash drive. As you may know not all USB devices are compatible with all notebooks/computers.
Furthermore some USB flash drives are not bootable…

As I already wrote, I have tested it with Transcend 4GB USB stick and now with 8GB CN Memory stick with the same result: Notebook doesn’t stuck a BIOS screen and they are listed in boot menu of BIOS so they are recognized.
clau

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 17:51   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Well, I have used that particular USB stick for months, and I find it very odd that it doesn't work anymore exactly after the BIOS upgrade. Even more, it works after the OS is loaded, so I doubt it's an USB stick problem. Just to make sure, I'll try it in another computer and come back to you with the result.
Xardas

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 18:01   in response to: clau in response to: clau

it doesn't work anymore exactly after the BIOS upgrade
Just let me give you a word of advice: BIOS downgrade is possible but it can only be done from an authorized service provider because on Toshiba page only newest BIOS can be downloaded. So this would be one option.

I'll try it in another computer and come back to you with the result.
Interesting, I wait for your reply. :)
clau

Posted: 03-Dec-2010 21:09   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

I've eventually managed (and remembered) to do a test with the particular USB stick on a notebook from another manufacturer, and it works and I can even boot from it. So the incompatibility is only present on my notebook since the last BIOS upgrade.
PauPau

Posted: 04-Dec-2010 09:10   in response to: clau in response to: clau

Since then the notebook will freeze on the boot screen (the one with the Toshiba logo) whenever a USB flash memory is attached.
I have tested another device (flash memory) and it works just fine

Try this:
  • Set BIOS to default (press F9 in BIOS settings)
  • disable the USB legacy option in BIOS
  • Save the BIOS changes and try again.

Otherwise you will need to use the other USB stick with is working correctly in connection with you A660
Johnno in Oz

Posted: 25-Dec-2010 16:40   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

I too am having problems with my A660 since upgrading to 1.80 bios - the HDD/SD utility, the pc health monitor and half the other toshiba utilities no longer work because they can't recognize the bios and actually tell me this... I get an error message telling me ''can't get bios type''...

On top of this I get the boot problem as well - I have to unplug half of my USB devices to get the laptop to boot properly...

And now - one month into owning my new A660 - after a hard drive failure, a problem with the Broadcom internal wireless adaptor I now have the internal TV tuner no longer working and have no idea how to fix it...

My gut feeling is that the sooner I can downgrade to the original factory bios the BETTER - and wait for another bios update to come along that is not faulty/buggy...

HOPE someone can help me with this...

John.
Andrej

Posted: 27-Dec-2010 12:21   in response to: Johnno in Oz in response to: Johnno in Oz

Hey John

Install OS again using original recovery image you got with your notebook
After doing this you will have clean preinstalled OS and every hardware component should work properly again.

I know it is pretty radical method but, believe me, most effective to check hardware functionality.
tlatocetl

Posted: 29-Dec-2010 11:47   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

BIOS downgrade in our A660s IS possible.
Just have a google search and you will find all previous versions of A660 BIOS files. I did it once since the BIOS upgrade in my A660-16M caused some unusual behaviour of the notebook fan. It was completely unacceptable so I managed to go back to the factory 1.1 BIOS version.

The complete A660 BIOS version history you will find here

tlatocetl
Johnno in Oz

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 08:53   in response to: tlatocetl in response to: tlatocetl

Thanks for that - I downloaded and tried to flash back to 1.70 bios but it won't allow me to - because the number of the presently installed bios is higher (1.80) - at this stage I guess it is a visit to the service centre to have the bios flashed/downgraded to the factory bios or I have to wait till the next bios version is released by Toshiba.

In the meantime the laptop is working but there are still ongoing compatibility issues and software continues to die without warning and need to be reinstalled :(
MasterG

Posted: 02-Jan-2011 09:31   in response to: Johnno in Oz in response to: Johnno in Oz

Hi to all

Since then the notebook will freeze on the boot screen (the one with the Toshiba logo) whenever a USB flash memory is attached.

If the notebook does not boot correctly while an USB HDD or USB flash stick is connected then you should change the USB legacy mode in BIOS settings.
Someone here in the forum had a similar issue and could solve this changing this option.

Good luck
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved