Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite U500 - Mouse cursor moving erratically
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 27-Aug-2010 11:01 Last Post By: lxng
rosssa

Satellite U500 - Mouse cursor moving erratically
Posted: 21-Aug-2010 14:04

Hi there. I hope you can help.

I have a Toshiba Satellite U500, less than a year old, and am having real problems with the mouse cursor moving where it wants, when it wants, sometimes even when my hands are nowhere near the laptop. I've run every virus/trojan/malware scan and there are no problems there. Tapping is disabled and the sensity levels etc are low. I am using Windows 7 and there were no problems until the last couple of days (apart from an occasional hour or two of the same thing a few months ago.

Oh and I don't have an external mouse; only the inbuilt Toshiba one. Any ideas? It's making working very difficult.

Many thanks.
Jeka-Ил

Re: Mouse cursor moving erratically and even moves on its own
Posted: 21-Aug-2010 14:10   in response to: rosssa in response to: rosssa

hi,

try to update touchpad driver:

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

To be honest, I don't know what suggest you more as you have already scanned for virus, disabled tapping, sensity levels. As the last hope is reinstall Os itself with a recovery disk
Xardas

Re: Satellite U500 - Mouse cursor moving erratically
Posted: 21-Aug-2010 14:33   in response to: rosssa in response to: rosssa

Hi rosssa,

If you don’t have an external mouse you could ask a friend for such a mouse. Then you can test if it’s hardware or software related problem.
For an external mouse you don’t need an additional driver, just plug and play (USB).

Otherwise you should update the touchpad driver as Jeka-IL already wrote. You can download it from official Toshiba website.
rosssa

Posted: 21-Aug-2010 14:37   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Many thanks to both you and Jekka for your advice. I've got the latest driver, so I'll try to get hold of an external mouse and see what happens. I assume that if another mouse works, the laptop will need to go back to be repaired?
Jeka-Ил

Posted: 21-Aug-2010 14:46   in response to: rosssa in response to: rosssa

. I assume that if another mouse works, the laptop will need to go back to be repaired?

Personally, i don't think that there is something serious malfunction with your lap. Try external usb mouse, reinstall Os with recovery disk or from hdd image (F8). Otherwise, you can contact the service center. However, as I said and don't think it's serious malfunction
rosssa

Posted: 21-Aug-2010 14:48   in response to: Jeka-Ил in response to: Jeka-Ил

Many thanks for that.
lxng

Posted: 27-Aug-2010 11:01   in response to: Jeka-Ил in response to: Jeka-Ил

I have had a similar problem from the very first day I've bought my U500-18N. with clean OS the toch pad was working unpredictaby. The mouse cursor was jumping back and forth when I was trying to hit a button. I did not pay attention to this initially, as I was using a USB mouse and thought that the touchpad was just not clean, or my hands were not clean or whatever.
But a few days ago I had to go with my laptop somewhere where I could not use an external mouse. And that was frustrating - I simply could not do anything. The touchpad was crazy.
I have found a lot of similar complains on the Internet and nobody could suggest a solution.
This problem does exist, and it does not depend on the changes users make to the OS installation.
I could suspect that either APLS driver contains errors, or the touchpad itself is manufactured in a wrong way (that "luxury brown" texture painting might be the reason, as it probably makes the surface less responsive).

I have do idea what to do now. I need a touchpad but the one I have is completely unusable.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved