Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Fingerprint reader not working in IE and saying failed to connect to sensor
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Nov-2010 17:09 Last Post By: milneswalker
timanfiya

Fingerprint reader not working in IE and saying failed to connect to sensor
Posted: 19-Jul-2010 22:02

Hi all,

I bought a Qosmio x500 10t a couple of months back. For the first couple of weeks i had no probs using the fingerprint reader to log in to windows and to log in to websites in Internet exploer.

All of a sudden it would not work on any website stored. The green banner showed accross the top of site and asked to swipe finger but nothing happened when I swiped. I rebooted and it worked again but not for long before failing. This time a reboot didnt work so i deleted my finger prints and websites and started from scratch. That worked for a couple of attempts before probs started again. And on trying to get into Fingerprint utility it says failure to connect to sensor. So, I did a system restore. It worked for a couple of times again and then same probs. So I found the updated utility software, uninstalled the old and put on the new. Same again, worked for a couple of times then failed.

I could not find anything stuck in the registry but to be on the safe side i did a full system clean back to factory setup using backup discs. Hey presto i thought it had worked. Everything going ok for first 24hrs and then same problems start to occur. Only this time it is also prompting me to enroll fingerprints even though i already have. And when i try to get into the utilioty it says failed to read sensor again.

The fingerprint log on to windows always works as long as i dont close the fingerprint utility down before shutting down. If i do exit the utilty i cant reopen it as it just says failed to connect to sensor. And then i have to unistall and reinstall the utility software. Aty the moment it occasionally works on websites stored but most of the time it doesnt do anything.

Please help. Do I need to send laptop back to Toshiba??
Akuma

Re: Fingerprint reader not working in IE and saying failed to connect to sensor
Posted: 20-Jul-2010 07:04   in response to: timanfiya in response to: timanfiya

Do you see the Fingerprint device in Device Manager?

A BIOS update may also help.

If its still missing from Device Manager, there may be a hardware problem. The laptop would need to be sent to an ASP for repair.
timanfiya

Posted: 20-Jul-2010 19:53   in response to: Akuma in response to: Akuma

HI, it is not showing in device manager at the moment, it normally shows under biometric devices but there is no drop down for biometrics anymore. This did happen before I did a fresh install. I read on a forum to start in safe mode and check again in device manager, it was there so i removed and restarted in normal mode to let it reinstall. It showed up again but did not solve the problem. So it looks like it intermitently shows up in device manager.

I also tried a BIOS update last time, that didn't work either :(

Thanks
timanfiya

Posted: 20-Jul-2010 20:29   in response to: Akuma in response to: Akuma

Just out of curiosity I have just tried the BIOS update again (as i had restored back to factory I didnt have the updaet installed). And hey presto biometrics is now showing in the device manager. I can access the utility software and it is working on websites in IE. But like I said before, many things I do get it working and then it stops again. :(
Tonny

Posted: 20-Jul-2010 20:35   in response to: timanfiya in response to: timanfiya

Did you see this FAQ?
Log-on into websites with Authentec Fingerprint Software (TrueSuite) and Internet Explorer 8
http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=62

I recommend searching in forum and reading the HowTo and FAQ section in this forum…
Could be always interesting…
timanfiya

Posted: 11-Aug-2010 21:46   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

Hi Tonny,

Thanks but the websites I was using it on were working and then they don't. It seems to be an intermittent fault. Toshiba have taken it in for repair but now say there is no haedware problem but I find thsi hard to believe as even at factory state there is an issue. I also had installed the latest software for fingerprint reader.

And to top it off since leaving me to be sent to toshiba they have told me the screen is cracked and want to charge me 500 pound to repair. They have broke it and want me to pay. Not happy
Macius

Posted: 12-Aug-2010 11:49   in response to: timanfiya in response to: timanfiya

Sorry to hear all this.
Fact is that fingerprint reader should work with “factory settings” and this configuration is absolutely the same as you got it in the box and started for the first time.

Please be patient and try to clarify this with authorized service provider.
In worst case try to contact other service and ask for help. I know it sounds stupid but you must try to get answers and best service.

Good luck
milneswalker

Solution for Toshiba Portege R700 - Authentec Fingerprint Sensor "failed to
Posted: 04-Nov-2010 14:35   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius
Helpful
Hi,

I got a solution for the problem that the fingerprint sensor "suddenly" does not work any more.
When starting the Toshiba Fingerprint Utility, it says "failed to connect to fingerprint sensor".

Is it possible that just before it stopped working there was a new firewall installed, or firewall settings had been changed?

In my case, the problem was solved by changing my firewall settings (Windows 7 Firewall Control) to ALLOW all traffic for
the Authentec Fingerprint Sensor Service (AFSS). It is the file "AtService.exe" in C:\Program files

The reason is simple:
The Toshiba Fingerprint utility communicates with the fingerprint sensor service via TCP/IP.
Therefore, any firewall that blocks traffic on the local computer will block the communication.

After changing my firewall settings, fingerprint sensor works on my R700 flawlessly now.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved