Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24-Jun-2010 13:08 Last Post By: C3PO
GenDoom

Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
Posted: 12-Jun-2010 19:08

Hey all.

Was putting windows XP onto my Satellite L350D, worked fine, had all the drivers in etc and working perfectly. Came back onto the toshiba website and saw there was a BIOS update for it, so, downloaded, and told it to install. Half way through it shut the laptop down (power pack fine and had full battery, so must have been the update).

Now it won't boot up what so ever. The power light comes on but nothing else works.

Im guessing it has wiped the BIOS or corrupted it, is there any fix for this or can I send it back to toshiba or am I out of luck?
Jeka-Ил

Re: Satellite L350D - Bios crash?
Posted: 12-Jun-2010 19:14   in response to: GenDoom in response to: GenDoom
Helpful
Hi,

The Bios failure is one of the most painful problem in this forum. Too many threads about bios failure posted and typical answer is to contact the ASp. Read this, may be useful for you

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21209
PinkPanther

Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
Posted: 12-Jun-2010 20:20   in response to: GenDoom in response to: GenDoom
Helpful
Hi buddy,

Yes, now it seems that the BIOS is corrupt and it must be reflashed from an authorized service provider. This is a tricky procedure so these tools can’t be downloaded and are only available for ASPs.

On the Toshiba website you can find a list of all ASPs. Just contact the nearest one in country and ask for help. The guys will help you as best as possible :)
GenDoom

Posted: 12-Jun-2010 21:19   in response to: PinkPanther in response to: PinkPanther

Excuse my noobieness but what is an ASP?

Thankyou for the post to that forum, looks like a good step by step guide and may concider giving this a go myself! Never flashed a BIOS before and the warranty has already run out so, hey, what have I got to lose?!

Cheers for the help so far guys, will post back if I find a way of fixing this.
Jeka-Ил

Posted: 13-Jun-2010 09:34   in response to: GenDoom in response to: GenDoom

Excuse my noobieness but what is an ASP?

It means authorized service center.
Rich5578

Posted: 14-Jun-2010 08:07   in response to: Jeka-Ил in response to: Jeka-Ил

Dependant on your skill level a new bios chip can be placed on the board. I'm not familular with your board but generally bios chips come in two flavours, ones that you can place in a holder (more often or not on desktops) and ones that are soldered onto the motherboard. There are places on line that sell bios chips loaded with your laptops bios, it's just a case of then replacing the chip. If you have no soldering skills I wouldn't recommmend doing this yourself though.
GenDoom

Posted: 24-Jun-2010 12:49   in response to: GenDoom in response to: GenDoom

Thanks for the replies.
Have decided to try and replace the BIOS, but can not find where it is located on the board, anybnody have any ideas where it is?
Jeka-Ил

Posted: 24-Jun-2010 13:03   in response to: GenDoom in response to: GenDoom

Have decided to try and replace the BIOS, but can not find where it is located on the board, anybnody have any ideas where it is?

Bios is recorded on flash memory chip (small chip), so you need to remove all this chip. To be honest, it's not good idea. I can hardly believe that you can do it yourself. Even at service center, the technicians prefer to replace all the motherboard. It's a tricky procedure.
C3PO

Posted: 24-Jun-2010 13:08   in response to: GenDoom in response to: GenDoom

Hello

You can’t change the BIOS on mainboard. Usually the BIOS is stored on a ROM module and this is fixed/soldered on mainboard. With other words you can’t exchange it.

In my opinion the best option is contacting an authorized service provider in your country. The guys have professional notebook tools and can reflash the ROM module. So just contact them and explain the situation. They will help you!!!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved