Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to repair "No bootable device — insert disk and press any key" problem?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 22-May-2010 12:34 Last Post By: Jeka-Ил
mrsdoubtfire

How to repair "No bootable device — insert disk and press any key" problem?
Posted: 22-May-2010 00:27

I was browsing sites using Google Chrome when all of a sudden, my laptop completely turned off. I turned the power back on only to find the error message "Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)" appear in white letters, followed by a bunch of other error messages, ending with, "No bootable device — insert disk and press any key". Whenever I try restarting my laptop, the same error messages show up.

I've been reading about Toshiba laptops, to try to remedy this issue, and I've learned that as of 2007, Toshiba discontinued the recovery disks that had always accompanied the laptops, and instead, allow you to totally restore your computer without the help of a disk. (The model of my laptop is Satellite L300D - 01P).

Now, apparently to restore a Toshiba laptop, you're supposed to press the '0' key while also pressing the power button, but when I do this, there is a beeping noise (which is apparently supposed to happen), but the error messages (ending with "No bootable device — insert disk and press any key") still show up. Other than the affirmative beeping noise, no changes occur.

Anyone had this problem or have any suggestions of how to fix it?

Thanks so much.
assex

Re: How to repair "No bootable device — insert disk and press any key" problem?
Posted: 22-May-2010 08:48   in response to: mrsdoubtfire in response to: mrsdoubtfire

...and I've learned that as of 2007, Toshiba discontinued the recovery disks that had always accompanied the laptops, and instead, allow you to totally restore your computer without the help of a disk. (The model of my laptop is Satellite L300D - 01P).
Have you also learned that you SHOULD create recovery DVD using preinstalled “Toshiba recovery disc creator” tool? When something goes wrong with HDD you can use this disc for operating system installation. This is clearly described in User’s manuals document.

Back to your problem:
I don't know for sure but I’m afraid you have some problem with HDD controller or HDD itself.
Is HDD recognized in BIOS settings (F2 at start up)?
Jeka-Ил

Re: How to repair "No bootable device — insert disk and press any key" problem?
Posted: 22-May-2010 12:34   in response to: mrsdoubtfire in response to: mrsdoubtfire

hi, mate

I agree with assex, it looks like the Hdd malfunction or controller.
Talking about a recovery media, it's not good that you haven't made it. Now, you have to order it:

https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

or get Windows copy (buy, borrow, download) and install it. Then, download and install the drivers keeping the right installation order:

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

greets
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved