Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Disassembling an external hard drive
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-May-2010 13:57 Last Post By: Guest
eldar40k

Disassembling an external hard drive
Posted: 23-Apr-2010 11:02

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I have an external hard drive (Toshiba PX1220E-1G25, 250 GB, 3,5'', http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/individualOptions.do?service=EU&ACTION=SHOW_ATTRIBUTES&OPTION_ID=111482&tab=1) that died after the warranty has expired.

The enclosure is actually a Dura Micro Model 501-B101 (or maybe B112) HDD enclosure (http://www.duramicro.com/501.html).

I would like to remove the HDD and hopefully recover my data.

Does anyone know how to take it apart without ruining the HDD and the house? I can't find any disassembly guide on the net, and it won't budge even after removing every visible screws.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

eldar
Xardas

Re: Disassembling an external hard drive
Posted: 23-Apr-2010 13:32   in response to: eldar40k in response to: eldar40k

Hi eldar40k,

To be honest I never disassembled an external HDD and there are no disassembling guides as far as I know.
Normally you have to remove all screws and then you can disassemble the external HDD case.

But before you do something wrong, ask an authorized service provider for help. Maybe they can help you.

I’m wondering that you need the data on it. What about your backup? Do you have one?
eldar40k

Posted: 23-Apr-2010 15:13   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Hi,
I asked the local service provider, but they said that they do not have disassembly guides for external HDDs. After removing the screws, it seems that it should be possible to remove the ends of the case, but something inside is either still connecting them, or it is stuck.
I don't have other backup of the data (that was it), and it is not especially critical, but I would like to find out which part is dead (that is, the electronics of the house or the HDD), and use the one that is still working.
Posted: 16-May-2010 13:57   in response to: eldar40k in response to: eldar40k
Hi,

I had a broken Toshiba External Disk as well and I just "brute-forced" the solution: on the rear side (where the connectors are), there is a metal blind that has no screws - it is glued. You can remove it carefully. Beneath it you find the screws!

In my case, the HD was broken so no luck...

Hope this helps

Martin
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved