Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A305-S6905 and Web Cam Issues
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 09-Mar-2010 08:34 Last Post By: MisterX
tthompsj

Satellite A305-S6905 and Web Cam Issues
Posted: 02-Mar-2010 17:09

I apologize if there is another thread for this particular model and issue, I'm just extremely frustrated and after hundreds of searches via toshiba, google, and chicony, I cannot find a solution. My laptop {Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905} was originally Vista upon purchase. My uncle upgraded it to Windows 7 and besides the fact that it constantly tells me that "This copy of Windows is not genuine", my web cam suddenly stopped working. It worked fine on Vista.

I've uninstalled Camera Assistance and reinstalled it over 8 times. I **believe** I reinstalled the driver, but whenever I open (or try to open) Camera Assistance, I receive the message: "Webcam is either disabled or has failed. Please check your webcam settings". I've opened Device Manager, but the Chicony webcam is not listed. Nothing related to the webcam is listed. I've restarted my laptop...trust me, I've tried nearly everything. I have noticed that a VAST amount of Vista-to-Windows 7 Upgraders are having the same issue. Last resort, I decided to come to the website of my laptop manufacturer. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.
Keany

Re: Satellite A305-S6905 and Web Cam Issues
Posted: 02-Mar-2010 20:11   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

Hello

If there is no entry in device manager it is pretty strange. If device works properly it is listed under “Imaging devices” as Chicony camera.
Somehow it looks like there is no connection between cam and mainboard.

All you can do now is to test functionality with “factory settings” and see if the problem persists.
If the situation will be the same you should contact nearest service and let technician to check cam functionality.
tthompsj

Posted: 02-Mar-2010 20:28   in response to: Keany in response to: Keany

Yes well I did a system restore and now the sidebar appears, but when I try to click on the camera it says: "Please turn on camera". I went back into the Device Manager and IMAGING DEVICE is listed, but instead of it saying CHICONY, it says UNKNOWN DEVICE and has a yellow exclamation point. I also tried to Update the Driver and the first time it told me that I had the latest driver, then it said:

Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged

and it mentions it's missing a necessary entry. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that sets me further back and goes right back to "Web cam is either disabled or has failed"...this all happened when I upgraded to Windows 7 >:(
Paolo30

Posted: 03-Mar-2010 07:59   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

Hi

Wait a moment…. Saying “did a system restore” what do you mean exactly???
Did you use the Toshiba recovery disk in order to reinstall the OS on this notebook?

Unknown device means that webcam driver is missing.
At the other hand the Code 19 says your system registry is damage.

What to say…. You could try to install the webcam driver manually.
Firstly download then webcam driver/software from Toshiba page.
Then go to device manager, click on update the driver and then point to the webcam driver files manually… this means that you have to choose the folder where the webcam drivers are stored.

If this will not help, try this;
  • uninstall Chicony software
  • clean the registry using CCleaner
  • reboot the unit
  • install the Chicony software again
  • reboot and then test again.

If this will not help then you should take the recovery disk and should recover the unit.
This should solve the damage registry entries…
tthompsj

Posted: 03-Mar-2010 11:57   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

A system restore as in........a system restore...not a PC restore (which requires the Recovery CD). I pretty much just set my laptop to an earlier time and the CODE 19 message suddenly appeared. Now a message is coming up that states:

Wed cam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer.

However, restarting doesn't work. I've installed the webcam driver repeatedly. Everytime I do, I get the first message: "webcam is either disabled or has failed"..I've tried updating it, it says that it's "updated to the latest version", yet the device remains "Unknown", and sometimes, it isn't even in the Device Manager.

I just find it not only funny, but frustrating that hundreds of other Toshiba users are having the same problem while upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, and they {toshiba} refuse to recognize the problem. My webcam worked perfectyl while I had Vista, and now I'm just regretting the upgrade. Windows 7 has caused nothing but trouble since Day 1.
Dr.Lamp

Posted: 03-Mar-2010 13:15   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

To be honest I don't believe in this theory about hundreds of users with the same problem.
I have upgraded several notebooks like A200, P200, A300, P300, x300 and have never, but really never noticed something like this and after Vista upgrades everything was OK including webcam functionality with Skype.

To be sure if there is some serious problem install OS using Toshiba recovery image and check it with factory settings. If the problem persists contact Toshiba service.
tthompsj

Posted: 03-Mar-2010 17:24   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

Well I have contacted Toshiba by phone and was told by the representative that they **have** received an innumerable amount of complaints associated with Windows 7 and certain programs or drivers that used to function are no longer doing so. They just don't "have an answer" at the moment..of course. Just because YOU personally upgraded laptops without issues doesn't mean they don't exist. If Toshiba is fully aware of the problems associated with it, they need to correct it. The only solution they gave me was to Downgrade back to Windows Vista.....wth?

I've reinstalled the OS..nothing. It's not just the Webcam that's acting up. However, that's the main problem I'm concerned about.
Macius

Posted: 03-Mar-2010 19:50   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

Two hours ago I have upgraded Satellite A300-1LI from Vista to Win7 using Toshiba upgrade kit.
Cam works well.

My Satellite A300 and yours A305 (probably US notebook model) are supported for Win7 and if hardware is not defective it MUST work properly.
Last month I have also installed clean Win7 installation on friend’s brand new Satellite A500 and have installed “Camera Assistant Software” for Vista and it worked too. We have tested functionality with Skype and MSN. No problems at all.

So I really believe it should work and it has nothing with Win7. I also don't believe there is big difference between your US and my European model.

By the way: have you contacted Toshiba directly calling Toshiba’s hotline or you have contacted Toshiba service provider?

One more thing: try to discuss it on Toshiba US forum too - http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/tshb/
Maybe someone there has noticed the same cam behaviour under Win7.

Good luck.
tthompsj

Posted: 03-Mar-2010 22:32   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius

I contacted Technical Support for computers...
I know my hardware is working properly, I've had it examined at both Best Buy and Micro Center. They say it's in "top condition", but nobody can figure out what the heck is going on. I've done the OS installation (again)..still a no-go.

Funny that you should say my A305 MUST work properly..because the A305 (yes it is a US model) is the main model I keep coming across on forums, toshiba websites, and through extensive google searches as the one that has the most issues. Since everything worked fine on Vista and since the upgrade the Win7 is isn't, and I'm 100% sure that my hardware is NOT defective..the only conclusion I've come up with is it HAS to be something faulty with Win7.

If you got the Camera Assistant Software from online, could you provide a link and one to the driver as well? I've downloaded and re-downloaded etc etc...I'm 99.9% sure I'm downloading the "correct" one...but then again, there's always that .1% chance that I'm wrong haha
MasterG

Posted: 04-Mar-2010 08:40   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

Lets; summary;
Webcam is working properly running Vista (preinstalled by Toshiba)
Webcam is not recognized running Win 7.

If you got the Camera Assistant Software from online, could you provide a link and one to the driver as well?
Camera assistant software contains the tool and the driver… this means that there is NO special webcam driver for Chicony webcam… after installation of Camera assistant software, webcam should be recognized and should run.

All the drivers for this notebook model can be found here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp
tthompsj

Posted: 04-Mar-2010 12:51   in response to: MasterG in response to: MasterG

Ha, yes your summary is correct. And yes, I **thought** that drivers would automatically come with the software too. However, when I go to install Camera Assistance, I get sent all the way back to square 1: "Camera has either disabled or failed, please check your camera settings" and then I go into Device Manager and the camera isn't even listed. So then, I did a System Restore to an earlier date (still under Win 7 though) and the Camera Assistance tool bar slides out, but then I get "Please turn Camera On"...better, but not working still. The Device Manager just has IMAGING DEVICE>UNKNOWN DEVICE.

I try to update the driver, and it's "already updated to latest version", but then I get that a problem has been encountered: "Code 19". Now for some reason I have a new error message when I try to start Camera Assistance: "Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer"...I've done both..no luck. Even ran CCleaner (as another poster suggested) in both normal and safe mode....reinstalled etc etc....nothing.

If I cannot get this to function, perhaps I will just downgrade back to Windows Vista..I never had any problems with it...although it is annoying that permission is needed for everything even though I'm the administrator, but I can live with that :)
Macius

Posted: 04-Mar-2010 14:04   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

Yes install Vista again and let us know if cam works properly with “factory settings”.

By the way: Satellite A300/305 is mostly sold notebook model and I am not wondering if you will find so many discussions about different issues on this certain notebook model. The same is on this forum too. Most threads you can find for Satellite A notebooks.
tthompsj

Posted: 04-Mar-2010 18:26   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius

I plan on doing that...once I figure out how lol. Will I need the actual Recovery CD that should have came with my laptop when I had Vista (and apparently did NOT)? I've contacted Toshiba to send me one anyways since I'm still under warranty. I'll search online for how to downgrade myself, it seems like whenever I try to have a "professional" do something, my laptop comes back in a worse state than before. I'm quite tech savvy, so I find no problem with this. I just want to know if it's the Recovery CD I need, or will I need to purchase some type of software for Windows Vista etc etc
Paolo30

Posted: 05-Mar-2010 13:17   in response to: tthompsj in response to: tthompsj

I just want to know if it's the Recovery CD I need, or will I need to purchase some type of software for Windows Vista

Toshiba recovery disk contains everything what was installed on your notebook. Means it contains Windows OS (Vista in your case), Toshiba drivers and tools…
You will need to boot from the recovery disk in order to recover the unit… this is very simple procedure…
cwhorton

Posted: 08-Mar-2010 22:12   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

Not trying to piggy back off the original post, but I have a A305-6837 (US model) running windows vista 64-bit. Didn't change anything on the computer and one day the same error about the driver failed to load comes up. I have un-installed and reinstalled the driver many times from the support page, and even tried to driver from the European support page as well, but still nothing. I have noticed that the webcam never shows up in device manager regardless of the software installed or not.

Any suggestions?
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved