Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L300 PSLB0E - Cannot install Vista nor Win XP
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Feb-2010 16:18 Last Post By: Mike30
pauly3867

Satellite L300 PSLB0E - Cannot install Vista nor Win XP
Posted: 20-Feb-2010 16:55

Hi,

I have a sat L300, model number PSLB0E.\
It was initially loaded with vista home premium, but it now won't boot at all.
I actually have a vista home premium disc and the number to go with it but it gets as far as 'installing windows' but it then stops.

I've tried new hard drive, even loading XP pro which don't work!!!
I'm thinking it's the Bios but after downloading from Toshiba on this PC, and transferring it to a memory stick, my laptop don't see it?

Plz can someone point me in the right direction ?????

Many thanks in advance Paul
Tonny

Re: Satellite L300 PSLB0E - Cannot install Vista nor Win XP
Posted: 20-Feb-2010 19:31   in response to: pauly3867 in response to: pauly3867

Hi mate

Please check in BIOS if the HDD is visible.
If yes, then set the SATA mode from AHCI to compatible and then try to boot from Vista or Win XP disk.

But if the HDD is not visible in the BIOS then this would mean that the HDD is dead and therefore you cannot install the OS.

Check this!
pauly3867

Posted: 21-Feb-2010 10:37   in response to: Tonny in response to: Tonny

Hi,
Yes I can see the HDD in the bios, I've now set it to compatibilty mode. I'm trying to install Vista again as I type, but it's been letting me put product key in, formatting the drive which leaves a 110.3 gb primary partition and then it starts installing. It will then copy over the files, expand them etc and it will then do a restart. It will then say please wait while windows sets up your computer and then it goes back to the screen 'completing installation'..... It's this point where it hangs and will not complete itself? I've installed Vista on other pc's and so I know how long it'll take, I'm leaving it for hours :-(
Could it be possible something in bios is stopping it loading completely?

btw, when I tried xp before it didn't see a drive, but I read somewhere xp don't have SATA drivers? I'd rather have vista on it though.
many thanks paul
Macius

Posted: 21-Feb-2010 12:54   in response to: pauly3867 in response to: pauly3867

Hello Paul

Have you tried to install Vista using Toshiba recovery disc (I hope you have created one)?
I have installed Vista many times and really don't understand what is wrong there.

Set the BIOS to default settings and try to install Vista again but before installation starts remove all available partitions and create new one.
To be honest I don’t think it has something to do with BIOS settings rather with HDD.

And yes, you are right about WXP. You need SATA driver. Without SATA driver HDD will not be “visible” for installation.

pauly3867

Posted: 21-Feb-2010 13:48   in response to: Macius in response to: Macius

Hi,
Thanks macius, I never got chance to do a recovery disc. However, what I have now tried since Tonny suggested changing the SATA setting in the bios is to load XP again. This appeared to work and I am now typing on the laptop in question :-)
This is a milestone for me considering the hassle I've had, so at least I've got somewhere.
I did the laptop detector on Toshiba site to get some drivers needed, display and W-LAN etc. However, the laptop tells me I don't have an audio device installed, hence no sound :-(
I found a sound driver on Toshiba site for XP and downloaded it and installed, but still nothing showing up as an audio device??
Other than that it appears to work fine but would like to get sound going.
I wondered if I need another utility from toshiba or something?
The sound driver I installed is listed in Add/remove programs so it must of installed ok.
The only two yellow exclamation marks in device manager are ' PCI device' (which I'm not sure what that is) and Ethernet controller?

Regards Paul
pauly3867

Posted: 23-Feb-2010 16:13   in response to: pauly3867 in response to: pauly3867

Hi,
Just thought I would update this thread, I managed to flash the bios from version 1.3 to 1.5 whilst XP was still installed. I then succeeded in loading Vista home premium but kept the SATA settings to compatability mode as suggested.
All works fine now, no drivers issues and sound works too :-)
Many thanks to all who replied
Regards Paul.
Mike30

Posted: 23-Feb-2010 16:18   in response to: pauly3867 in response to: pauly3867

Thanks for the feedback.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts